Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:30 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times

Advertisements

My question would be why are you waiting until 2010 to get a cell phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:31 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
My question would be why are you waiting until 2010 to get a cell phone?
Because By then I will reached all my financial goals

Old 06-06-2009, 04:07 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
have a CELL PHONE????????????????

I told her I don't see myself getting a cell phone until next year and she was like it's no way she can date a guy and can't contact him during the day. We had just met last night online and she was pretty and now just rather we be friends-lol

HOw did people date in 1989 without a cell phone??

I just had this happen to me too... This girl was interested in me and I gave her my home number then she found out I did not have a cell phone ( I told her) and she thought it was strange and I guess she assumes I'm poor.

Point blank, I'm a manly man and I think cell phones and all the little useless features are just too girly and I'm not going to buy one unless I haft to.

I did have a basic phone a few months ago when I was living in another state but I find that I really don't need it at my new location.

Ha, this may be overkill but I'm looking at getting a satellite phone; for me, I like gadgets that people don't have but at the same time rugged looking.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:11 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,593,391 times
Quote:
Point blank, I'm a manly man and I think cell phones and all the little useless features are just too girly and I'm not going to buy one unless I haft to.
Well, they are awfully small these days.
My husband, with his big clumsy fingers, has trouble punching the right buttons on his cell phone.
Maybe they need to make big muscular-looking cell phones for guys.
Maybe like those cell phones they had back in the late 80s, that had a handle and looked like a briefcase.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:16 PM

283 posts, read 738,790 times
I gave up my cell phone three years ago because I just do not like being at someone's beck and call all the time. I am just strange that way. I think someone that cannot date someone without a cell phone because they cannot call and check up on them at any point in time they want to is a huge red flag. But, I am getting old, so...

Old 06-06-2009, 04:20 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,512,316 times
phones are so 2000 get an ipod touch and skype

Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,593,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninmt View Post
I gave up my cell phone three years ago because I just do not like being at someone's beck and call all the time. I am just strange that way. I think someone that cannot date someone without a cell phone because they cannot call and check up on them at any point in time they want to is a huge red flag. But, I am getting old, so...

You know, I remember when pagers were (briefly) all the rage, a lot of people gave them up for this reason: feeling like a "dog on a leash", etc.

Yet a cell phone seems to put you even more at the beck and call of others, and I don't hear much of this type of complaining these days.
I guess as much as most of us don't like being at someone's "beck and call", we like having others at our beck and call.
And I'm sure that for most of us, as for me, the only "control" we exercise over our loved ones with our cell phones is the ability to gain some temporary peace of mind by calling our loved ones and making sure they're still safe.

In my situation, this is especially crucial, since I'm in the unenviable position right now of having a son balanced on the brink of adulthood who is basically running wild in the streets with his friends a good percentage of the time and hasn't exhibited good self-control in the past, and my only control- my only link- right now is my ability to phone him occasionally while he's out and say, "What's up, how's it going, please stay out of trouble, do you need me to come get you, please call me if you need me and I'll be there in a heartbeat, please be good, I love you so much."

Of course it bothers the hell out of him, but he almost always still answers... so I think maybe somewhere deep down, it's good for him to be reminded once or twice a day that mom hasn't forgotten he's out there, and is thinking about him and hoping he makes it home in one piece.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:45 PM

612 posts, read 1,844,022 times
I can't live without a cell phone... One reason I am pretty much never home... Always on the run... if I'm not at work, I'm out... Also, I drive to different cities more than an hour away for parties (mind you I'm 20 so I'm just another young adult that has a cell phone). How would I call for help if I was stranded on an deserted highway... even if there wasn't any signal I could find some.

The main thing I use my phone is for texting. I am partially deaf and so are the majority of my friends are fully deaf and the only way to communicate on the run is by texting. I'm a pro at texting and driving lol (not recommended for some people).

But I agree with a cell phone being a nuisance sometimes. Heck, I can just turn off my phone is my girlfriend or folks were looking for me (but I rarely do). My phone is always on.

It was annoying when my folks were calling me at 1am asking where I was (right after HS). After HS I had no curfew so they still had the urge to keep an eye on me.

To the OP, pretty much everyone has a cell phone. Whether they use it every minute or rarely they have one so don't be shocked to be asked for your cell phone instead of your home phone. Also, good to know that you have goals. I'm trying to become a goal-oriented person but pssh...

Old 06-06-2009, 04:54 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The phone part of my phone, actually a pocket pc, is my least fav part of it. I leave my ringer off most of the days and often leave my phone in my car or room. I never liked talking on the phone much. the invention of texting was great for me. If I could have a text only phone it'd be perfect.
I'm the same way; I'll decline a call and then send a text message saying "Hey, whats up?" Only time I like to talk on the phone is when I have something to say. I'm not a great listener.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:05 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
have a CELL PHONE????????????????

I told her I don't see myself getting a cell phone until next year and she was like it's no way she can date a guy and can't contact him during the day. We had just met last night online and she was pretty and now just rather we be friends-lol

HOw did people date in 1989 without a cell phone??

If you buy a cell phone, let her know.
Tell her you realized that she wasn't your type, because she isn't.
There are puddles deeper than this girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships