Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times

Advertisements

There was a guy I dated right after high school ... I swear, back then, I thought he was "The One." We broke up (lots of nights on my part), but because I really did love him, I wanted him to be happy and to have a good, rich life with a woman he loved and who loved him. Honestly, I did.

We contacted each other on FB -- I can't remember who made the first move. We were always really good friends -- our relationship wasn't even that sexual -- and I figured, "Why not? It can't hurt to catch up with him and see what's up."

His life is just soooo bad. And I mean, really bad. Wife left him with four kids to raise, he's diagnosed functional bi-polar, underemployed, and holy h*ll, it's apparent that he's teetering on the brink of batsh*t crazy, and I really wish that I never knew any of this. It just makes me so sad. If I had never cared, it wouldn't matter that much.

But ...

And a big part of me feels extremely guilty because I'm thinking, "Wow, I'm glad that's not my problem."

Facebook should be used judiciously, IMHO, and I didn't use it judiciously.

Anyone have a similar experience? Find out something about an ex that really bummed you out, or made you feel terrible for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,727 times
Nope, let sleeping dogs lie where they are.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
We've had some posters do this not too long ago and they got all upset and stuff.

I'm happy to say that I don't have any ambition to do this, because I know who my exes are.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,990 times
Yeah..best to just leave it alone.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
It's not worth it.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
______ old flames on Facebook is a terrible idea.

Fill in the blank with anything and it's still going to be a terrible idea, generally speaking.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
______ old flames on Facebook is a terrible idea.

Fill in the blank with anything and it's still going to be a terrible idea, generally speaking.
Yeah. I really don't know what I was thinking.

This guy was pretty special to me, because he was kind of my first "real" boyfriend, even if he wasn't my very first true love. I cared a little too much, so it seems.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:52 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
I learned a lesson 3 years ago to let sleeping dogs lie. I got in contact with someone I thought was the one, we briefly dated then he broke my heart. It devastated me. Now the only exes I talk to on Facebook are ones that are strictly platonic.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,783,428 times
I hate Facebook.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Yeah, she contacted me. Damn! She's as beautiful as ever. (I had pictured her as getting fat and frumpy. No such luck.) After a few quick emails I quit writing and she did too. We're both happily married, but we had such a strong attraction for each other and were sort of forced to split due to unavoidable circumstances. I'm just afraid to stay in contact with her for fear of what could happen, but I don't want to unfriend her either. We remain Facebook "friends" and leave a comment on each others pages every month or so.

I don't really know how to handle it at this point. I thought about explaining why I quit writing, but I don't really want to admit to still having feelings for her -- don't want to leave an opening for escalation of anything. (She's already said she's had regrets that we went our separate ways. I didn't respond to that.)

After we'd split 20+ years ago we both got married a couple years later. My wife died a few years after that, and she divorced her first husband about the same time. I searched and searched for her, but she'd moved across country and had a new name, and I didn't know about her divorce anyway. Turns out we both married again at about the same time. Timing has just never been right for us. That should tell us something, eh?

Anyway, I'm glad she contacted me, but it has caused some conflicting emotions to surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships