Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans63 View Post
You seem confused. That is a "lock and key party" (a kind of speed dating event), not a "key party" (a kind of wife-swapping event).

Again, look up "key party" on Wikipedia for more details. (Unfortunately, Wikipedia also confuses the matter by redirecting searches for "lock and key party" to the same page as "key party", even though it is an unrelated topic.)
Swingers' key parties have also been known as lock and key parties. That's why those terms go to the same wiki page. Only recently have the speed dating folks co-opted the term, presumably in an effort to sound more risqué or intriguing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
As long as it's between fully consenting adults ( ie not even the slightest hint of "pressure" or "coercion" is applied by one party) then whatever floats your boat.

However to me it is tawdry and demeaning. If I wanted to have sex with people other than my Husband I would have remained single. The idea of having sex with someone else, never mind a perfect stranger is absolutely incomprehensible to me.

And yes I do love sex, no I am not frigid and my sex life is not only active but very enjoyable before anyone brings out the "prude" card.

I'm afraid for me sex is about a lot more than genital friction and stimulation and is about love, intimacy as well as purely physical pleasure. My most erogenous zone is still my brain and promiscuity has never been part of my genetic make-up. Hubby feels the same.

We spoke very frankly and openly about sex when we first started to date to make sure we were on the same page.

If I came in proposing going to a key party or doing wife-swapping I think the divorce papers would be in the post pretty pronto. And vice versa. Because we have always understood where we stand on some issues. Issues we feel very strongly about. We all have lines we will not cross. This is one for us.

But as I said other people's sexual habits and preferences are none of my business, it might be something I cannot relate to nor understand and something which to me is "wrong" but I accept these are my values and my sense of "morality" is all my own and my problem not others'.

If people want to have a multitude of sexual partners then as long as nobody gets hurt then who cares ?

Not my cup of tea but it is not about me at the end of the day.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 PM

286 posts, read 366,478 times
Default Key Party is different from Lock and Key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Swingers' key parties have also been known as lock and key parties. That's why those terms go to the same wiki page. Only recently have the speed dating folks co-opted the term, presumably in an effort to sound more risqué or intriguing.
I think you're confused. Did you read the Wiki entry on Key parties? There is no lock involved (until after everyone leaves, that is, then they drive off with their selected partner). The game itself has only car keys in a bowl. So "lock and key" would be a misnomer for that game.

Lock and key parties, by definition, involve locks and keys during the game (hence the name), and you have to find the person(s) who match you, by putting the key in the lock (or at least this is what I experienced at speed dating events using this game).

While it may be true that the "lock and key" game could be used in either ordinary speed dating or swingers events, it is certainly a different game from the "car keys in a bowl" game from the 70s (which is what "key party" refers to, by definition). This is why I think it is incorrect to say that a key party (with 70s reference implied) can also be called a lock and key party. This is also why it seems incorrect (as with the Wikipedia redirect) to identify "lock and key" as being specifically a swingers game. Twister can be used at swinger parties (and has been) but that would not warrant a redirect from "Twister" to "Group sex" in Wikipedia (as if that were Twister's sole usage).

That's what I gather based on the Wiki article and personal experience.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
What are these parties true intent? A one-night? Actually meet there SO? Has anybody gone to one?
That entirely depends on who is actually engaged in it.

If the parties are run by people who do not know each other than one night stands - or even meeting someone to be an SO - are all potential motivators.

But this is not exclusively the groups who engage in it. Sometimes it can be groups of friends who do it for example. A collection of couples who know each other well get together and agree it might be fun to have a bit of a swap about.

I have no statistics at all on how common such get togethers are - but from the ones I have personally heard about it has been always the latter type - people who already know each other and are comfortable with each other.

Recently we had a party in my house - lots of close friends - and we got on to a silly conversation about sexual fantasies and what ones we each have. Some real eye openers in there - and we have since been joking that as a group we have the potential to make all the fantasies come true. We jokes about having one a weekend and so spend the next year going through each of us making them happen.

Anyway - a couple of the guys and a couple of the girls did list a random swap party of this type as something theyd love to do/try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Lol I like some adventure but this sounds like some kind of weird orgy to me.
Some probably are but an orgy sort of implies a big room full of people having sex. That is not so often the case with THIS kind of get together where the people pair off and go off into individual private rooms - or houses - to engage in the play.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
So, what's everyone's take on Key Parties?

Weren't they big back in the '60's-'70's? A man, or women, will place a key or set of keys in a bowl and women will basically play roulette.

I was just listening to the radio the other day and every so ofter they'll talk about relationship stuff, in the bizarre news. They mentioned the key parties, which I get, but another one was t-shirt parties? Where guys would wear a shirt for 1-2 weeks straight. He can't apply deodorant, cologne or take a shower in this time. Then, they'll bring these sweaty, nasty, stinky shirts to someones house and, like a key party, women will pick a guy based on his natural smell from the shirt.

What are these parties true intent? A one-night? Actually meet there SO? Has anybody gone to one?

Please let me know if this is a "thin-ice" topic.
I thought key parties were for swingers?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
They were not COMMON in the 70s. The first time I ever heard of it was in a movie in the 90s called The Ice Storm starring Sigourney Weaver.

NEVER EVER heard of the t-shirt party, but how desperate would a guy have to be to commit to wearing a shirt that long but not guarantee who would pick him??

Smelling somebodies dirty t-shirt doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I thought key parties were for swingers?
Yep. As was noted in the OP to which you just replied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships