Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

It seems from watching film and TV, especially sit-coms, the male is portrayed as basically a big child or buffoon that the wife takes care of like one of the children. There are countless jokes about him being another 'big kid.' It seems it's a stereotype. One might wonder if it's a backlash to old movies and books where the man was a paternalistic figure (father know's best) and women were portrayed as childish and hysterical. Both present perhaps an unflattering view of one or even both sexes.

I'm wondering how much this concept has penetrated the real world of dating, even sub-consciously? Is it something that you discuss a lot with your friends/your partner? Is there ANY truth to this idea, in your opinion, or is it part of an agenda?

Can you think of a single sit com where it's the opposite, the man is the level-headed responsible one, while the woman is more immature? Where the man is constantly nagging the woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
It's very much a trend, written about many times. For example:

Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

I think the impression Edith Bunker made has made writers shy away from that kind of character. But in the end, TV is all abnout $$ which comes from advertisers, who want big ratings. So this trend must be working.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:06 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Yes,I believe as far as tv and movies that is the stereotype..in my world though..it happens to be the truth

Old 05-14-2013, 07:04 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
You have hit on one of my big pet peeves! Yes, I have noticed how TV, movies, etc, have a habit of perpetuating a stereotype that all men are Homer Simpson types.

I also have a suspicion that this has trickled down into real life. I have been finding it increasingly difficult to find occasion cards (mother's day, valentine's day, etc) that are for a man's wife which are not portraying the husband in this stereotype. There are so many that wax poetic about how "I" (the male giver) is a failure, moron, idiot, or whatever, and thanking his sposue for loving him despite these Homer-esque flaws.

I imagine there are so many of these cards because they sell. If they sell, there must be men who see themselves this way, and women who also accept that their men are this way. I am only guessing they sell based on the fact that this type of card seems to be taking over.

I do not think this is indicative of my relationship with my wife, but there is a definate pattern of promoting, and accepting that the man in today's society fits this stereotype.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Yes,I believe as far as tv and movies that is the stereotype..in my world though..it happens to be the truth

Yeah, in my world (and in every other women I know in a serious, committed relationship), its also the truth.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Yeah, in my world (and in every other women I know in a serious, committed relationship), its also the truth.
You know you girls wouldn't change it even if you could

Old 05-14-2013, 07:37 AM

57 posts, read 151,080 times
If you want to know the root cause of the problem, do some research on the Rockefeller family. It was Nick Rockefeller that admitted that the Rockefeller family funded the feminist movement for the purpose of destroying the family. They have used the media to create a "battle of the sexes" to entice women against men. They wanted to convince women that men are the enemy and that they need to be independent. They have set up a system that allows women to have children without the need of the father. That's why family courts are so unfair towards fathers. But if you try to get the truth out you are just labelled a conspiracy theorist. People are so dumbed down that they refuse to believe there is an agenda to destroy families. I don't know how much longer it will take before people wake up to reality. Maybe in another 100 years.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan_Is_A_Loser View Post
If you want to know the root cause of the problem, do some research on the Rockefeller family. It was Nick Rockefeller that admitted that the Rockefeller family funded the feminist movement for the purpose of destroying the family. They have used the media to create a "battle of the sexes" to entice women against men. They wanted to convince women that men are the enemy and that they need to be independent. They have set up a system that allows women to have children without the need of the father. That's why family courts are so unfair towards fathers. But if you try to get the truth out you are just labelled a conspiracy theorist. People are so dumbed down that they refuse to believe there is an agenda to destroy families. I don't know how much longer it will take before people wake up to reality. Maybe in another 100 years.

Do you have documentation to support your claims?

What about guys who walk out on their families or don't pursue custody?

Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
You know you girls wouldn't change it even if you could
I dunno. Sometimes it would be nice if the hubby played the leader. This is honestly a common complaint among other married friends I know. Sometimes its uber annoying.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 AM

57 posts, read 151,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Do you have documentation to support your claims?

What about guys who walk out on their families or don't pursue custody?
This isn't a debate about guys walking out on their families. If you want to discuss such a subject then start another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships