Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
You would love to be TALLER? as a woman?? I think 5 9 is a great height, i actually dont wish i were taller or shoter, love this height so much, and i get complemented on it very much on it, its been an advantage for me in many respects. But when i was little, i grow up too soon too fast, so by the time i was 8,i was taller than all the boys in my class. Back then i got bullied cause of it a lot. For the looks of it, i was gonna be a 6 3 woman or something like that, but thankfully, i stopped growing and im normal tall now. But it used to be bad when i was little, hated being that tall. I guess i learned to try to blend in, and thats why i dont wanna wear heels. I dont wanna be looked at too much when i enter a place. I never liked to be the center of attention. I just wanna blend in.

High heels would make me stand out too much.

I actually have some very tall heels, around 4 inches probably? Used it 2 times only, became a giant. I could pull them off with my ex (he was very tall) but i wouldnt use them with someone else, i think. But never say never, i might change my mind on this
That's what happened to me--I grew to be too tall, too fast. I was 6' tall at 14 (I'm technically 6' and one-half inch, barefoot.) It was a horror. I was made fun of all the time, and you can't HIDE when you are too tall. Even one of my teachers used to call me The Giraffe. I didn't want to go to school anymore and I pretended I was sick a lot just to stay home. High school was pretty much hell, and a very sad time in my life. I barely graduated, even though I had been a straight A student up until 7th or 8th grade.

Like you said, I wanted to blend in, but it was impossible. The only thing I think that kept me from eventually killing myself was that I went to secretarial school and then took a job in Manhattan. New York City is full of all kinds of people, and being too tall wasn't the shameful freakish thing it was in my hometown. When I look at pictures of myself that still exist from when I was a teenager or younger, (I've destroyed most of my teenage-years photos) I am slouching, trying so hard to do the impossible and just be normal. As an adult, I finally learned at some point to say "F it" and put my shoulders back and stand up straight.

You'd be surprised at the number of supposed adults who still make rude comments to me about my height, but I've learned to just ignore them. I will quite literally turn my back and walk away. And of course, being too tall severely limited my dating chances. There are a few exceptions, but most men want a normal-height or petite woman. I did marry a 6'4" man, but he had huge alcohol problems and we divorced long ago. I don't look like a model--I'm rather plain, I'd say, as opposed to straight-up UGLY, but I was just out of luck in life as far as relationships go, mainly because I'm just too damn tall.

It's a shame, though, that height in a woman was always seen as similar to a deformity. I have noticed over the past few years that things seem to have changed a bit since I was young. I have seen a number of young couples wherein the girl is taller than the boy, and I'm glad to see it. Too late for me, but happy that this is changing in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 12:04 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
My SO is a hair shy of 5'9". His GF before me was a hair shy of 6'.

His ex-fiancee was his height and wore heels all the time.

FWIW, I'm 5'4", so not taller than he is.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
You would love to be TALLER? as a woman?? I think 5 9 is a great height, i actually dont wish i were taller or shoter, love this height so much, and i get complemented on it very much, its been an advantage for me in many respects. But when i was little, i grow up too soon too fast, so by the time i was 8,i was taller than all the boys in my class. Back then i got bullied cause of it a lot. For the looks of it, i was gonna be a 6 3 woman or something like that, but thankfully, i stopped growing and im normal tall now. But it used to be bad when i was little, hated being that tall. I guess i learned to try to blend in, and thats why i dont wanna wear heels. I dont wanna be looked at too much when i enter a place. I never liked to be the center of attention. I just wanna blend in.

High heels would make me stand out too much.

I actually have some very tall heels, around 4 inches probably? Used it 2 times only, became a giant. I could pull them off with my ex (he was very tall) but i wouldnt use them with someone else, i think. But never say never, i might change my mind on this
In your heels you're as tall as I am barefoot

I hit 6' when I was 14 or 15 and stayed that way until I grew a little more and ended up just a hair over 6'1. I was fairly indifferent with my height growing up because there were plenty of other things kids could make fun of me for so height rarely came into it. I'm tall and I like to dress up but I think there's a fine line between just being tall and kind of looking like a drag queen. Considering I have been mistaken for a drag queen on more than one occasions (granted, it was in San Francisco and we were going to play Drag Queen bingo...) and don't really consider it offensive but I'm sure I've had people second guessing if I was a natural born female or not based solely on height and build. I love my height but kinda wish I was more willowy instead of curvy.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:39 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
In your heels you're as tall as I am barefoot

I hit 6' when I was 14 or 15 and stayed that way until I grew a little more and ended up just a hair over 6'1. I was fairly indifferent with my height growing up because there were plenty of other things kids could make fun of me for so height rarely came into it. I'm tall and I like to dress up but I think there's a fine line between just being tall and kind of looking like a drag queen. Considering I have been mistaken for a drag queen on more than one occasions (granted, it was in San Francisco and we were going to play Drag Queen bingo...) and don't really consider it offensive but I'm sure I've had people second guessing if I was a natural born female or not based solely on height and build. I love my height but kinda wish I was more willowy instead of curvy.
ROFL, funniest line in the thread.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
ROFL, funniest line in the thread.
It was actually a pretty interesting weekend and I ended up dancing on a bar with a bunch of drag queens in the Castro. My other 6' tall lady friend was there as well so we had a blast

Old 05-27-2013, 02:01 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's what happened to me--I grew to be too tall, too fast. I was 6' tall at 14 (I'm technically 6' and one-half inch, barefoot.) It was a horror. I was made fun of all the time, and you can't HIDE when you are too tall. Even one of my teachers used to call me The Giraffe. I didn't want to go to school anymore and I pretended I was sick a lot just to stay home. High school was pretty much hell, and a very sad time in my life. I barely graduated, even though I had been a straight A student up until 7th or 8th grade.

Like you said, I wanted to blend in, but it was impossible. The only thing I think that kept me from eventually killing myself was that I went to secretarial school and then took a job in Manhattan. New York City is full of all kinds of people, and being too tall wasn't the shameful freakish thing it was in my hometown. When I look at pictures of myself that still exist from when I was a teenager or younger, (I've destroyed most of my teenage-years photos) I am slouching, trying so hard to do the impossible and just be normal. As an adult, I finally learned at some point to say "F it" and put my shoulders back and stand up straight.

You'd be surprised at the number of supposed adults who still make rude comments to me about my height, but I've learned to just ignore them. I will quite literally turn my back and walk away. And of course, being too tall severely limited my dating chances. There are a few exceptions, but most men want a normal-height or petite woman. I did marry a 6'4" man, but he had huge alcohol problems and we divorced long ago. I don't look like a model--I'm rather plain, I'd say, as opposed to straight-up UGLY, but I was just out of luck in life as far as relationships go, mainly because I'm just too damn tall.

It's a shame, though, that height in a woman was always seen as similar to a deformity. I have noticed over the past few years that things seem to have changed a bit since I was young. I have seen a number of young couples wherein the girl is taller than the boy, and I'm glad to see it. Too late for me, but happy that this is changing in society.

Really? I never experienced that. I would say people are far more positive about my height than negative. Sure I deal/dealt with people who say rude things, but I usually consider the source and keep things in perspective. And surprisingly, I felt being tall gave me the upper hand. People notice me, want to know who I am and remember me...both men & women. I'm no supermodel, but I never had any issues finding men interested in or attracted to me.

My daughter is on the tall side and I hope she breaks the 6' mark.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:08 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
I do have a positive experience with being tall, too. Except when i was a child, when it was motive for bullying, as a teen and adult being tall was always a HUGE advantage for me: clothes fit better, you can carry extra weight much more gracefully, and the fact that you are tall is seen as hot by guys. But of course im not as tall as JJ and mightyqueen. Im just barely (?) tall. But its been such an advantage for me, like a good trait of mine, and i get complemented a lot about my height.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:09 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
oh, and btw, i get hitted on by shorter guys ALL THE TIME. Short guys seem to love tall women, in my experience. Average height guys seem to love tall women too. And tall men seem to love tall women.

All in all, we rock

Old 05-27-2013, 02:11 PM

52,274 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Really? I never experienced that. I would say people are far more positive about my height than negative. Sure I deal/dealt with people who say rude things, but I usually consider the source and keep things in perspective. And surprisingly, I felt being tall gave me the upper hand. People notice me, want to know who I am and remember me...both men & women. I'm no supermodel, but I never had any issues finding men interested in or attracted to me.

My daughter is on the tall side and I hope she breaks the 6' mark.
Quote:
I do have a positive experience with being tall, too. Except when i was a child, when it was motive for bullying, as a teen and adult being tall was always a HUGE advantage for me: clothes fit better, you can carry extra weight much more gracefully, and the fact that you are tall is seen as hot by guys. But of course im not as tall as JJ and mightyqueen. Im just barely (?) tall. But its been such an advantage for me, like a good trait of mine, and i get complemented a lot about my height.
I think being a tall woman would be fine, I think it would be horrible as a 13 yr old......... you know how kids can be...

Old 05-27-2013, 02:26 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,717 times
Quote:
oh, and btw, i get hitted on by shorter guys ALL THE TIME. Short guys seem to love tall women, in my experience. Average height guys seem to love tall women too. And tall men seem to love tall women.

All in all, we rock
As long as you're not too hash to the little guys, you're OK!

I would let your eyes and facial expression decide for me if it's safe to approach you. Other times, I just balls up to her and try to make conversation. I use this all the time to decipher between the ladies who'll accept my advances or reject me harshly.

The worst she can do is ignore me, the meanest thing she can do is insult me for trying, which has happened unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships