Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 11:14 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times

Advertisements

It's not intelligence; it's education. But that would still be an incompatibility for me.

Textspeak is another issue. I personally enjoy linguistic change and creative usage, so I'm cool with it. Maybe not on a resume .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
A few hard words I understand. But if you can't spell simple words like (night,knight,we're, where, them, deer, dear, son, sun, see, sea, to, too, their, they're,ect.
I agree. Fyi etcetera is etc.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:38 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
So I have noticed a trend among women who do NOT spell badly - well, they are turned off by men who spell badly*. I am wondering now if men who do NOT spell badly are turned off by women who spell badly?

Thanks in advance for your answers, guys!

*Assuming the language they are writing is their native language.
Depends if you've seen a picture of her and like the way she looks. A woman does not have to have money or brains for a man to want to have sex with her. But he may not want to marry such a woman. He would still take her out and take her home later to screw her.

I would be a hypocrite if I hated on women that spelled poorly because I spell poorly. I'm a one finger type too. So, it takes me extra time to type out posts or material than it it does others who can type with several fingers without looking at the keyboard. Consequently--in addition to me being lazy--I always make spelling and grammatical mistakes.

But spell checks saves me. You have no idea how much and how well it saves me.

But I rarely reread my posts to edit them, especially before I hit the submit button. That's how lazy I am.

But the good news is that if I were typing out a paper for a college class or something I might want to submit professionally, I would reread the paper, edit the paper, and then ask someone else to read over the paper and make marks for corrections to be made. Then I'd redo the paper.

But it's worth noting even the best novelists and writers often do one or more edits on the material they write or type out. Salty journalists of the old school--I have heard--could type out a story on the first go and submit it with only a few minor spelling or grammatical errors. That's very good compared today with online news stories. Even after passing through the hands of editors you still find glaring spelling and grammatical errors in the body of the article. I don't know how many times I read stories on Yahoo news with f___ing words missing .

With all that said... writing which composes spelling and grammatical rules requires practice. Not every person is going to retain--assuming they ever learned--the knowledge and skill to structurally compose their thoughts in written words in a clear, crisp, and logical way with good spelling. I try not to hold this against a woman or man. They might be very skillful at other things in life after all. And spelling and grammar are not quite written in stone like the language of math after all.

Example:

2 + 2 = 5 (can't make sense out of that)

Dawg = dog (can make sense of this or figure out what the person is trying to communicate)

Old 05-27-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I give her a spelling test on the first date. Noo, I really don't care, but I'm not a great speller. However, I don't like text speak.
Oh man... maybe I'm getting old and grumpy or something but I hate some of that text language typed on discussion boards. Drives me crazy at times.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:45 AM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
What if she passes a note that says, "Eye wood lyke too hav secks weth yoo."

Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What if she passes a note that says, "Eye wood lyke too hav secks weth yoo."
That might signal to me a good sign, that I might be able to talk her into letting me put it in her butt.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
lol@ Ja1myn

Is consistent bad spelling really a sign of low intelligence though?
this is a good question-i think spelling and grammar has declined thru the years-it could be texting shorthand,,or just a typo-which i do sometimes

this is a loaded question,,because really pretty girls can get thru life very well,,not having to be overly bright- and men...will take a trade-off , a trade-off is what we all do, in evaluating a potential mate..
sounds kinda sexist but it's true.

i pick up on spelling errors,,even if i do a few, (i'm a scrabble nut, and won our class spelling bee's in school.)
i have noticed that females are better spellers than most men online.
tho it is very very easy for typos online.

i think both genders may exhibit spelling errors- but to liston to someone talk is also very interesting-it says alot about a person- i've learned the person who asks questions, even simple ones,,,are the smart folks- the arrogant ones are the know-it-alls, and speak in "this is the way it is" finality language,,,which often is narrow-minded,,they are just mirroring what they've been told..

overall- in the big scheme of things, spelling isn't a biggie-

Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,813,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Oh man... maybe I'm getting old and grumpy or something but I hate some of that text language typed on discussion boards. Drives me crazy at times.

But it's so much faster. I can type 70 WPM on my laptop with however many errors as I go. Textmsg, I'm closer to 45 WPM. But if I actually had to type everything, it would be gruelingly slow and inefficient.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:09 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times
A few errors doesn't mean much to me... but if it's consistent... no... can't do it. Should note I'm a woman. It turns me off.

Another HUGE pet peeve for me is the misuse of could've, should've and would've. PEOPLE!!! PAY ATTENTION!!! It's NOT "could of", "should of", or "would of." How does that make ANY grammatical sense???? What you're really saying is "could have", "should have", and "would have."

NOW USE THEM!!!

Just to add, I don't know if the commas should've gone within the quotes. Someone please tell me.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:19 PM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
A few errors doesn't mean much to me... but if it's consistent... no... can't do it. Should note I'm a woman. It turns me off.

Another HUGE pet peeve for me is the misuse of could've, should've and would've. PEOPLE!!! PAY ATTENTION!!! It's NOT "could of", "should of", or "would of." How does that make ANY grammatical sense???? What you're really saying is "could have", "should have", and "would have."

NOW USE THEM!!!

Just to add, I don't know if the commas should've gone within the quotes. Someone please tell me.
ROFL, calm down, and come to the "I Can't Take It Anymore" thread on the Writing forum. It's a place for people like us. We've addressed not only that mess, but the advice/advise thing, the lose/loose thing, the their/there/they're thing, and have moved on to the even more astounding, "I-can't-believe-this" words and phrases we've found on City-Data, such as "pre-Madonna" for "prima donna" and "swats sticker" for--well, you know, that Nazi symbol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships