Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:19 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 23 year old male whose currently in college and works a regular boring day to day job. Lately though I've been hit with this gnawing feeling of I'm not living my life to the fullest. I cant quite explain it other than I constantly feel like I'm selling myself short in life in every area of my life: My social life, friends, relationships, the quality of the woman i date, my job, etc... In a search for answers as to why it is I feel this way, I've read quite alot of self-help books, autobiographies, etc.. to help me better understand others lives and how they progressed. I havent quite gotten all the answers I'm looking for but I have taken active steps in bettering my life and pushing me more toward a path of living the life I want and not living someone else's life.

With that in mind, I'm asking anyone who reads this weather they be in their 20s, 30s, 40s, or older what is some life advice you can offer me? What are some things you wish you knew when you were my age? What are some mistakes you encountered on the way? What are habits you wish you had changed when you were younger? Any advice, be it a story or anecdote would be really helpful. Advice about work, relationships, friends, following your dreams, etc...

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 01:25 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
Hard work feels good.
Persistence is a virtue.
Never do anything you wouldn't like to. Say 'no' when you want to.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Never be in a rush.
Make a bunch of friends.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
I saw some young person post here today or yesterday something along the lines of "I am going to avoid all awkward situations from now on. Life is to short."

DON'T DO THAT. Life is too long to avoid awkwardness! Learn to feel comfortable in your skin and don't go around thinking everyone is so keenly aware of or concerned about you. Get out of your own head, lose the mirror and embrace the bumps and surprises that come with human interaction and new experiences with humor and perspective.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:56 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I could have written this OP when I was your age, exactly 20 yrs ago.

Don't take stuff so seriously, that doesn't mean be callous, just know that in the big scheme of life, things aren't as heavy as they might feel or seem to be.

Take chances. Take calculated chances... you know what I'm saying... don't always take the safest route, the flip side is don't be a flake, if you can find a balance in there, that would be good.

Try and act like granny is watching you at all times... Be a good man, be a gentlemen, that doesn't mean be a sucker, if you read this forum a lot of guys your age think that being a gentleman is being a sucker... I'd suggest you do some reading on that what constitutes being a gentleman.

Have fun... cause you will wake up one day soon and you'll be 43......

Best to you.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:00 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
For relationships:

No matter how perfectly in sync you feel, how much you have in common, two people can mean very different things by the same words. Don't just say the words, but talk about what they mean.

Examples from my life, and friends' lives:

For some people, 'I love you,' is a description of a feeling, and does not include any commitment to action. For others, it means that they are committing to doing certain things. Which one does your sweetie mean?

For some, a betrothal is the same as a marriage. The marriage starts when one persoan asks and the other accepts. For some others, the marriage is not 'real' until after the religious ceremony, or after the civil documents are signed, or after you have kids, or after some other landmark, and if you hit a bump in the road before then they will be gone.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:00 PM

99 posts, read 148,506 times
Be the change you want to see in others.
Treat others the way you want to be treated.
Live a purpose-filled life.
DANCE!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:16 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
1) Learn from others when you can
2) Smile, a lot!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:21 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Be nice/polite even when you don't feel like it.

Leave things/people the way you found them or better.

Treat others the way you'd like to be treated.

Go after what you want, but don't trample people, or disregard your ethics and values to get it.

Do things that make you happy.

Do the best you can do at the time and then don't worry about it. (Worrying doesn't help anything and it robs you of your joy. 90% of what people worry about never comes to fruition.)

Just because you love someone it doesn't mean you should marry them. Be very discriminating when choosing a spouse because if you pick wrong your life can be miserable.

When you make a mistake learn from it and apologize if warranted.

Make yourself the best person you can be. (work out, get educated, be thoughtful, practice kindness, be responsible, be respectful, show restraint when necessary, enrich your mind, body, and soul)

Happiness is a choice, so choose it.

Be grateful for what you have even if it's not much.

Practice random acts of kindness.

Don't take good health for granted because it can change in an instant.

Life passes by more quickly than you'd imagine so live it to the fullest.

Enjoy the journey!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:22 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Tell LS to wear deodorant.o_O

Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Tell LS to wear deodorant.o_O
But, I do wear deodorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships