Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 PM

249 posts, read 473,912 times

Advertisements

This makes me think of a date that my mom went on, she is in her 60's and the man took off his arm at dinner, to show her that it was not real... I about died laughing when she told me how her date went.... I can't image what dating in your 40's is like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 02:55 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,738,036 times
Wisdom...imagine that: as you get older, you get wiser and it shows.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:05 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
A friend of mine is about to finalize her divorce. When she got married, she was in her late 20s. Now she's in her 40s. She never had kids, has a stable career, and is parting with her husband on good terms. While she's in no rush to start dating again, she knows that she'll eventually want to be in a relationship again. She asked me what to expect as far dating goes. Being a never-married male in his 30s, I told her I probably wasn't the best person to answer her question. But here's some of what I offered.

You'll meet more men who've been married before, many of whom have kids.

A lot of the men will no longer be in the best shape.

Many will be jaded about relationships.

Many will not be interested in you because you're over 40.

A lot of younger men might pursue you wanting to live out their cougar fantasies.

Basically, most of what I could come up with was negative, but I'd rather not paint such a discouraging picture. I was trying to find some positive things to say, but it was hard. Sure, a lot of men will like that she doesn't have kids. And she's still fairly attractive, though I'm sure some men will consider her a bit overweight. They'll also like that she's financially stable and that she doesn't come across as angry or bitter about her divorce.

So help me out here. For the folks over 40, particularly the women, what would you say to my friend about the realities of dating after 40?
There seems to be a fair demand for childless single women over 40, judging by posts on this forum by guys hitting 40 and getting panicky about finding childless women their age, and judging by real life. There are plenty of guys around in that age group who don't have kids, because they've been career-focussed (like some women that age), or because they're socially awkward like so many guys posting here, and never got it together to date. There are also guys who are divorced because their wives cheated or they'd simply made the wrong choice the first time around, and there are a few who are widowers.

So your friend has no reason to lose hope. There are a lot of great guys out there who have gained wisdom from life experience, and aren't just looking for a hot babe. They're looking for the whole package.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:08 PM

378 posts, read 1,207,750 times
43 here having the time of my life dating a fabulous guy 7 years younger for about a year. Literally the most fun I have ever had!!

Old 06-11-2013, 03:27 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,901,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Wanted the same???? LOL
Yes a never married, childless man, hence the same.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,901,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There seems to be a fair demand for childless single women over 40, judging by posts on this forum by guys hitting 40 and getting panicky about finding childless women their age, and judging by real life. There are plenty of guys around in that age group who don't have kids, because they've been career-focussed (like some women that age), or because they're socially awkward like so many guys posting here, and never got it together to date. There are also guys who are divorced because their wives cheated or they'd simply made the wrong choice the first time around, and there are a few who are widowers.

So your friend has no reason to lose hope. There are a lot of great guys out there who have gained wisdom from life experience, and aren't just looking for a hot babe. They're looking for the whole package.
I think what happens is some men get over the idea of finding a younger woman (or are realistic)and want someone like them. Even though I don't do online I still lurk at Match and the amount of never married, childless men in my age range is large.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,651,696 times
Quote:
I can only imagine the requirements of women when a guy is in his 40's

Must have a House..................apts are not acceptable

Must have STABLE job...............unstable jobs are not acceptable

Must have A1 Credit......................bad credit is not acceptable

LMAO
I see nothing wrong with the second and third requirements.

Oh, and you forgot one other requirement.

Must not be bitter........................men who hate women are not acceptable.

Ponder that last one.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,651,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There seems to be a fair demand for childless single women over 40, judging by posts on this forum by guys hitting 40 and getting panicky about finding childless women their age, and judging by real life. There are plenty of guys around in that age group who don't have kids, because they've been career-focussed (like some women that age), or because they're socially awkward like so many guys posting here, and never got it together to date.
Or maybe they just didn't want children.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,003,139 times
Quote:
I can only imagine the requirements of women when a guy is in his 40's

Must have a House..................apts are not acceptable
Naw, he can live in my house if we want to live together

Quote:
Must have STABLE job...............unstable jobs are not acceptable
Naw, he can be semi-retired, like me. I'd prefer it.

Quote:
Must have A1 Credit......................bad credit is not acceptable
True. I'm not going to take on his debts. There is also a character and personality factor, even more important -- I want someone who, like me, is responsible, honest, plans ahead rationally, etc.

Re: houses, the more common problem over 40 is that both people have houses and neither wants to give theirs up .

Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Or maybe they just didn't want children.
That, too, but there are plenty of women around who don't want kids. Maybe it takes guys until their 40's to find them. There need to be better ways for people to meet who don't want kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships