Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:49 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
I worked just 40 hours a week. Retired last year at age 53. My net worth is now $1.1 million and growing. Pick the right job now, and enjoy life later.
Some people prefer to enjoy life in their physical prime rather than wait until their bodies are breaking down. Your financial payoff doesn't amount to much, so you really shouldnt be insisting that other people follow your path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 02:03 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
Some people prefer to enjoy life in their physical prime rather than wait until their bodies are breaking down. Your financial payoff doesn't amount to much, so you really shouldnt be insisting that other people follow your path.
Yes because working 40 hours a week like I did is just too brutal. Enjoy all that free time you have.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:14 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
I would rather work harder in my youth and retire early than have to work hard in my 50's and 60's when my body is breaking down. Fortunately I manage to balance my life between work and play. I'm not killing myself right now and I earn a good living. Everyone had their own set of priorities though, so it's not a one size fits all solution.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
It's very possible to do both (work, and enjoy life before you're "breaking down" physically) -- millions of people do it.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:55 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, some of the things you say continue to amaze me, for someone in their 40's you seem to be extremely short sighted on certain issues.

I addressed the issue of this working a "lower level" type job in your 40's in an earlier post, in case you might have missed it.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/30036942-post31.html
The thing is I understand when people work those jobs because they fall on hard times. There is no excuse not to better one's self. I once had a guy who was 50 and working as a KFC cook contact me on a dating site. I have a masters so what would I have in common with him? not like he was doing it temporary, he was doing it 20 years.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:21 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It's very possible to do both (work, and enjoy life before you're "breaking down" physically) -- millions of people do it.
Of course it is, but that's not my point. I find it weird when people insist that their own personal path is the only worthy one.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:32 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
The thing is I understand when people work those jobs because they fall on hard times. There is no excuse not to better one's self. I once had a guy who was 50 and working as a KFC cook contact me on a dating site. I have a masters so what would I have in common with him? not like he was doing it temporary, he was doing it 20 years.
LOL... you just illustrated my point for me.

Bettering one's self doesn't always have to be in terms of a job or getting an education thru a university. It can be many things.

Just because the guy is working in fast food doesn't make him less than you, maybe he's not adapt at other things, maybe he chose a less stressful way of life.

I do agree with you to certain point.......

Old 06-16-2013, 03:35 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL... you just illustrated my point for me.

Bettering one's self doesn't always have to be in terms of a job or getting an education thru a university. It can be many things.

Just because the guy is working in fast food doesn't make him less than you, maybe he's not adapt at other things, maybe he chose a less stressful way of life.

I do agree with you to certain point.......
I didn't say he was less than me, but we wouldn't work because we are different. The reason he is working in fast food is because he is mentally challenged as are probably most of those who do this job later in life. I worked these jobs myself only I was in college and they were a way to pay for school.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:56 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I didn't say he was less than me, but we wouldn't work because we are different. The reason he is working in fast food is because he is mentally challenged as are probably most of those who do this job later in life. I worked these jobs myself only I was in college and they were a way to pay for school.
Mentally challenged? I've never worked these jobs, but the people I observe working at fast food joints don't appear to be mentally challenged in my estimation. I'm pretty sure some are Stoners. My martial arts instructor also worked part time at a restaurant. He was an athlete competing in MMA and I think Taekwondo. His goal in life was not making money.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:03 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Mentally challenged? I've never worked these jobs, but the people I observe working at fast food joints don't appear to be mentally challenged in my estimation. I'm pretty sure some are Stoners. My martial arts instructor also worked part time at a restaurant. He was an athlete competing in MMA and I think Taekwondo. His goal in life was not making money.
This is what I was trying to explain to her.... a successful life can appear differently to each person.

I've done the big corporation thing, my last company was a fortune 150 company. Trust me... I have come to realize that there are other things in life that are important... the corner office and job title doesn't mean jack to me anymore, granted, I don't wanna live like a homeless person either, but a balance must had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships