Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:50 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times

Advertisements

I was talking with my fiance the other day, and he brought up a couple we know who are having a rocky time in their relationship. They don't have much in common, but they've been together for years. Lately, the lack of common ground is causing strain. My fiance said he didn't understand why they ever got together in the first place. I weighed in that I think they, at one point, shared similar values about life and relationships, work ethics, etc.; and that perhaps that is what has changed and now magnifies the differences between them.

It sounded plausible to me and I think it could be helpful for those looking at a new relationship to pay special attention to the values they do or do not share with their intended. Perhaps this is overlooked in favor of more superficial commonalities, which would be a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
This is exactly what I look for.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
I will agree. Shared values is a very important factor for a happy relationship!
Along with patience
Understanding
Honesty
Trust
Fun
ETC.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,625 times
I don't see how I could be with someone who had completely opposite values than myself.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
Depends on how many options you have. This forum must be full of hot women who have the men lined up eating from their hands (other than JJ).

I am overly happy with a woman who is enthusiastic in bed and treats me decently and makes time.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
The short answer is "yes".

I don't regard honesty, trust, patience, understanding etc. as "values". Essentially all humans, save for the pathologically afflicted, extol such "values" as being desirable, even if they fall short themselves (and indeed, everyone does).

"Values", to me, are the big three:

1. Do you want to have children? If so, how many? If not, why not?

2. What is you level of religiosity? Are you committedly devout? Lukewarm? Agnostic? Atheist? Do you view religion as a cultural tradition, or an abiding personal and emotional guide? Do you think that religion is bunk?

3. Money. Do you aim to build wealth, even at the cost of foregoing a materially comfortable lifestyle? Is comfort more important than financial accumulation? Are you frugal? Is money utterly irrelevant, or does it consume your attention? Are you envious of the more wealthy, or do you hold the concept of wealth-envy in contempt?

Consonance on these three issues is absolutely crucial! I think that it's even more important than being in love, and is certainly more important than being sexually attracted. This is why I tend to denigrate the issue of falling in love first, and then sorting things out later. I'd rather select a partner - and have her to select me - on the principle of the above-mentioned three core values. And then LATER we will aim towards falling in love.

Last edited by ohio_peasant; 07-01-2013 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Shared values are extremely important. I don't think shared hobbies and interests are as important though, although as a spouse, you are bound to do those things together sometimes.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I was talking with my fiance the other day, and he brought up a couple we know who are having a rocky time in their relationship. They don't have much in common, but they've been together for years. Lately, the lack of common ground is causing strain. My fiance said he didn't understand why they ever got together in the first place. I weighed in that I think they, at one point, shared similar values about life and relationships, work ethics, etc.; and that perhaps that is what has changed and now magnifies the differences between them.

It sounded plausible to me and I think it could be helpful for those looking at a new relationship to pay special attention to the values they do or do not share with their intended. Perhaps this is overlooked in favor of more superficial commonalities, which would be a mistake.
Shared values are important, just not the "most" important.

You need a combination of several things for a happy relationship including chemistry, friendship, trust, mutual respect, good communication skills and emotional good health, to go along with those shared values.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Shared values are important, just not the "most" important.

You need a combination of several things for a happy relationship including chemistry, friendship, trust, mutual respect, good communication skills and emotional good health, to go along with those shared values.
i'd have to put table manners in my top 5 list, no matter how pretty she is, or what good values she has,,,if she eats like a beagle, its a game-changer

Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i'd have to put table manners in my top 5 list, no matter how pretty she is, or what good values she has,,,if she eats like a beagle, its a game-changer
LOLOLOLOL - your posts always make me smile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships