Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if this is exclusively an American thing but how come there are so many ****ed up people in this society? I feel fortunate to have parents who were for the most part, normal and taught me values, morals and good things. Me and my girlfriend have been together for 5 years and we have an incredible relationship, the only thing that gets in the way sometimes are some "issues" from her childhood, although they are not major, I have sacrificed a lot to keep the relationship going and do not regret it at all. I was wondering how other people deal with people who have major issues from childhood like dysfunctional families, sexual abuse, people that need attention desperately, compulsive liars and such. I think that if my girlfriend had some major issues, I would have left her by now but I am not sure how most people deal with people who have major issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 AM

657 posts, read 1,599,789 times
my exwife struggled with trust issues stemming from her childhood, and it ultimately resulted in her leaving me.. she struggles with those issues to this day.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
my exwife struggled with trust issues stemming from her childhood, and it ultimately resulted in her leaving me.. she struggles with those issues to this day.
See, this is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. So, in this case, I am assuming, it did not matter how good of a man you are, she would have left you anyways. I just feel like it is so unfair for a person like you to have to pay the price for something that is not even your fault

Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
People are messed up in this society because the priorities of society are screwed up. The moment we decide that we don't have to have the biggest, brightest, latest and greatest, a new car every year, etc., etc. we will no longer have to work two jobs to keep the family financially afloat and we can concentrate on and pay attention to our children. Maybe then we can raise a society not filled with neurotic, damaged people.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
Last SO had major trust\jealously issues stemming from string of bad relationship choices. Frankly, I don't see her EVER finding someone to be with longterm...way too erratic which is sad because she is otherwise a good person.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 AM

657 posts, read 1,599,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Last SO had major trust\jealously issues stemming from string of bad relationship choices. Frankly, I don't see her EVER finding someone to be with longterm...way too erratic which is sad because she is otherwise a good person.

exactly.. i loved my ex deeply, and we are still friends (we also share a daughter together), but i don't forsee her in permanent long-term, unless she found a way to put up with me again.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
Story of my life. Clearly, I had my own for staying as long as I did. I think it's mostly a lack of personal responsibility to "own" the damage they cause to be able to do something about it. When this is all they know, they're comfortable with it and don't see a need to fix it. Thus, eveyone around them pays for their issues.

Last edited by PassTheChocolate; 04-14-2009 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was wondering how other people deal with people who have major issues from childhood like dysfunctional families, sexual abuse, people that need attention desperately, compulsive liars and such.
I avoid them.

I suspect that people with serious issues are more likely to wind up with a companion who also has issues. That's what it is all about, right? Mutual understanding of each others' flaws and problems?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Are we talking about 40-50 year old losers who have major issues, or are we now picking on everybody? Just curious.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
People are messed up in this society because the priorities of society are screwed up. The moment we decide that we don't have to have the biggest, brightest, latest and greatest, a new car every year, etc., etc. we will no longer have to work two jobs to keep the family financially afloat and we can concentrate on and pay attention to our children. Maybe then we can raise a society not filled with neurotic, damaged people.
I agree...this society pressures ppl to do what society thinks you should instead of what right for you......
Your supposed to have kids, buy a house, compete with your neighbors...etc etc etc. Its all just a waste of time and is hurting the kids...kids are messed up because of their parents doing or non doing. And if the adults of today would get their head out their @sses long enough to see that then maybe the kids of tomorrow will be better. Also I think ppl shouldnt be afraid of therapy and should use some form of it when things get rough for you. But alot of ppl feel they will be labelled and/or have too much pride to let some else help them get through things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships