Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If there's one thing that having a baby has taught me - it's not to judge other families. I mean, I still make snap judgements like, "Well, of course she has time to work out and stay a size 2 - she has a NANNY!!!" and, "Why doesn't she tell her kid NO!!!" - but at the end of the day, every child is different, every parent is different, and every family is different. I don't like it when people tell me what SHOULD work best for me and I have no right to tell others what should work best for them.
Agreed. Honestly, people who don't have kids and dole out the judgements are pretty easy to ignore. It's the judgemental parents (so I'm learning) that are royal PIAs. I've been learning all about sanctimommies/daddies online. I hope I don't run across them offline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times
To me there are many variations of a SAHM. If you have three kids under 6 in a 2500 sq ft home, that is very different from having one 8-yr old in a 1000 sq ft apartment.

One of my sisters has a 7 yr old (at school most of the day), a beautiful beach house with a weekly cleaning service, but her house is always a mess .

However, they are very active. Her daughter is always either at dance lessons, tennis lessons, play dates, etc. So, they are not "at home" much. They seem happy, so I guess it works for them. But, I have to admit, if I was her husband and came home to that mess every day, it would drive me crazy. I guess the fact that she is a fantastic chef makes up for a lot!

Old 07-17-2013, 04:44 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
If there's one thing that having a baby has taught me - it's not to judge other families. I mean, I still make snap judgements like, "Well, of course she has time to work out and stay a size 2 - she has a NANNY!!!" and, "Why doesn't she tell her kid NO!!!" - but at the end of the day, every child is different, every parent is different, and every family is different. I don't like it when people tell me what SHOULD work best for me and I have no right to tell others what should work best for them.

True enough. But a discussion board can be about trends. I believe that there is a trend towards really ineffective discipline that expects too little of children's ability to cope. With the waning popularity of corporal punishment (thank goodness) many people have not found effective replacement techniques. (For my full rants, stop by the parenting board. )Because they cannot expect anything from their kids, they spend the day entertaining the munchkins to keep them occupied so they are not howling meanies. They spend so much time on "parenting" (aka playing with and entertaining their kids) that they "can't" do the other stuff. They don't get that if you can expect your children to behave, doing the dishes, shopping, cooking, laundry is every bit as educational and enriching as the "parenting" stuff. YES it takes 10 times longer. But it is not just choring, it is "parenting" too.

If someone can afford a housekeeper or a nanny so they can go to the gym, so what? Go for it. I could not care less how one spends one's money. But for those families that are participating in this trend, it seems to make for unhappy and often resentful husbands. When they know full well that there mothers were able to "parent" and make sure there was clean clothes and food, it is hard to stomach having to come home to an equal split on the chores.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
Quote:
Oh good grief.
Let's consider the source.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
True enough. But a discussion board can be about trends. I believe that there is a trend towards really ineffective discipline that expects too little of children's ability to cope. With the waning popularity of corporal punishment (thank goodness) many people have not found effective replacement techniques. (For my full rants, stop by the parenting board. )Because they cannot expect anything from their kids, they spend the day entertaining the munchkins to keep them occupied so they are not howling meanies. They spend so much time on "parenting" (aka playing with and entertaining their kids) that they "can't" do the other stuff. They don't get that if you can expect your children to behave, doing the dishes, shopping, cooking, laundry is every bit as educational and enriching as the "parenting" stuff. YES it takes 10 times longer. But it is not just choring, it is "parenting" too.

If someone can afford a housekeeper or a nanny so they can go to the gym, so what? Go for it. I could not care less how one spends one's money. But for those families that are participating in this trend, it seems to make for unhappy and often resentful husbands. When they know full well that there mothers were able to "parent" and make sure there was clean clothes and food, it is hard to stomach having to come home to an equal split on the chores.

Yes, but I know a lot of mothers back then had family nearby and available to help. These days families are spread out across the continent and globe OR because we're having children later in life, family is no longer around to help out. Come December, I will have 4 under the age of 7. My husband is home maybe half the year, if that. My inlaws live in another state and my parents are often traveling to a different state to help out my sister with her infant twins.

It's funny how nobody is in an uproar over people hiring landscapers, but a cleaning service is a no-no. LOL

Old 07-17-2013, 05:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Yes, but I know a lot of mothers back then had family nearby and available to help. These days families are spread out across the continent and globe OR because we're having children later in life, family is no longer around to help out. Come December, I will have 4 under the age of 7. My husband is home maybe half the year, if that. My inlaws live in another state and my parents are often traveling to a different state to help out my sister with her infant twins.

It's funny how nobody is in an uproar over people hiring landscapers, but a cleaning service is a no-no. LOL
Yeah - my mom and my in-laws are both in different parts of the country. For what it's worth, I don't think that perfectly clean houses and perfect moms were the norm in any generation. The past is always idealized.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:08 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:

You're correct in that extended family played a significant role back in the day. But, I don't see why it's anybody's business what you do to make it work for your family.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:

No. They just did it.And their KIDS helped.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You're correct in that extended family played a significant role back in the day. But, I don't see why it's anybody's business what you do to make it work for your family.
DOES it work for these families? I think tired resentful husband is a bad thing. Isn't he a member of the family?

Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
DOES it work for these families? I think tired resentful husband is a bad thing. Isn't he a member of the family?
Just because you resent it doesn't mean others do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships