Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:15 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I hooked up a lot in college. After that it was sparingly, I dated women from then until about a year ago
So you're a woman dating woman? Why ask for a mans advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 07:16 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
well i don't have clear advice as to what you should do

i just know what you should NOT do. And that is: do not mention a peep about other men, who came earlier, who you might've had sex with more quickly than your current boyfriend.
That's a given. I don't discuss them at all. And I definitely don't tell guys that I have had women in my past

Old 07-18-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
So you're a woman dating woman? Why ask for a mans advice?
I Dated women until last year, I'm currently dating guys.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I Dated women until last year, I'm currently dating guys.
IMO, you're going to have difficulty explaining that your bi and that now you are only interested in men and want to wait to have sex/star a family/settle down etc.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
IMO, you're going to have difficulty explaining that your bi and that now you are only interested in men and want to wait to have sex/star a family/settle down etc.
That's to be expected, but this isn't something that is out of the blue. I've always been bi and have always wanted to settle down. It just wasn't the right time.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
That's to be expected, but this isn't something that is out of the blue. I've always been bi and have always wanted to settle down. It just wasn't the right time.
If I were you I would focus on how to find a man who is going to be comfortable with your sexuality and who you can be honest and open with about your past.

I wouldn't worry about the waiting to have sex thing. It pales in comparison.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Relationships are a lot of work for men, especially at the beginning.

So it's totally different to compare a situation where you're single, free and answer to no one --

versus when you're in a relationship with a person who expect you to provide them with your time, attention, and/or resources, to support them emotionally, to listen to them talk about stuff you may not care about ... and for the most part men wouldn't need this type of reciprocation even if it was offered.
Well, most people aren't in a relationship when they first start dating. I mean, who goes out with a person 1-2 times and says, "your the one, let's be exclusive... now, let me share my deepest feelings with you." Usually you are still getting to know the person about 5 dates in.

If you don't care about the stuff the person is talking about, I would venture to say you don't care about the person in the first place. Heck, I care about my co-workers enough to listen to their problems--with someone I love and think I might spend my life with, his problems would be a priority in my life. And that's exactly what the OP is trying to find and what she's trying to eliminate by not having sex right away--men just interesting in dating and not interested in something closer, more intimate and long term.

When I thought about it, I suppose a lot would depend on where in life you are. When I was in college, I saw my boyfriends daily--so things *did* move faster. Now that I am am working and my dates are working, we are lucky to find the time to get together 1-2 times a week for a few hours (I am certainly not inviting men I just met and only went out with for a total time less than the length of a board meeting to spend time alone with my in my house). The amount of time spent together in college vs post-college makes a BIG difference. At 30-years-old, I am assuming this is where the OP is at (unless she's a grad student). Two months would be about 8-10 dates most likely (for a working professional).

EDIT: BTW, dating is a lot of work for both men and women. If a woman isn't working on a relationship too, I would advice a man to look elsewhere or else he will be pulling dead weight (and vice versa for women).

Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
If I were you I would focus on how to find a man who is going to be comfortable with your sexuality and who you can be honest and open with about your past.

I wouldn't worry about the waiting to have sex thing. It pales in comparison.
Honestly, most men dont really care about your bi tendencies or sexual past with women, for most it'll likely be a turn on. Nowhere near as much as women, who will not have anything to do with a bi male, 99% of the time. OP, just frame it in a way that isnt scarry. Saying, i want to wait till the time is right, to alot of guys may sound like they have to wait a couple of years. Say something like, "id like to wait a litle bit, until we get to know one another and are alot more comfoortable together. Just frame it differently, where there is still a possibility of you two being intimate in near future, and you shouldnt have this problem. Poor men. They have no idea how much women love sex as well, and that they really never, ever have to beg for it.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
If a guy can't wait 5 dates or a month or so, he's probably not seriously interested in a LTR. Congratulations! You've just screened out those who don't want what you want. You're not wasting time with someone who isn't potentially serious.

However, don't wait too long - you may drive away the serious guys as well. Most don't want to be treated a lot differently than you've treated past dates, no doubt. However, there is no good way to know their intentions. Even the truly serious ones may find after a few months (whether they've had to wait for sex or not) that you're not compatible. You may find them incompatible. There is no assurance that waiting will find you the right man - it will only help eliminate some of the wrong ones.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Honestly, most men dont really care about your bi tendencies or sexual past with women, for most it'll likely be a turn on. Nowhere near as much as women, who will not have anything to do with a bi male, 99% of the time. OP, just frame it in a way that isnt scarry. Saying, i want to wait till the time is right, to alot of guys may sound like they have to wait a couple of years. Say something like, "id like to wait a litle bit, until we get to know one another and are alot more comfoortable together. Just frame it differently, where there is still a possibility of you two being intimate in near future, and you shouldnt have this problem. Poor men. They have no idea how much women love sex as well, and that they really never, ever have to beg for it.
Interesting, most men I have dated freaked out at stories of me making out with girls at bars/parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships