Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
My answer: Anything that implies lying for a living or being too extroverted for me: sales, politician, newscaster, etc. Possible exception for public radio .
Same here. I hate my job because not only is it sales but you're forced to answer calls with an automated system and basically you don't have control over what calls you get.
I hate lying about them getting free stuff and then having to read 2 sales club script offers. If asked ''How much is this gonna cost me'', I just said ''It will cost you a couple moments of your time and go on a faster pace to get rid of that call (that company doesn't care about the free stuff offers; they only want to make money out of their 2 club trials), which is not really a lie because it's a long survey and it does ends up costing them time but they don't have to accept every single offer. However, I've heard others that said things like ''There is no catch, everything is free, blah, blah, etc. I don't have it in me to be a cold seller and I don't even like what is being promoted anyway.

I'm sick of call centers that involves sales and promotions (aka telemarketing). In addition, I'm really an introverted woman and don't have the profile of a seller nor someone that has the perfect words and/or rebuttals for convincing people over the phone. One time, someone actually asked ''What you doing, are you reading strictly from scripts''? and I answered ''Yes''.

I haven't made any sales for the longest while (I suck at it) and I'm close to being fired for that but I don't care. I've been trying to find something else related to my area, which I'm not pressured to make sales nor have to receive random calls within seconds. At times, I end up saying another name because the automated robot goes too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 PM

355 posts, read 389,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
with Amphetamine anything is possible.
I like the way you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My husband has had to to it before - a bunch of times. It's usually only for a week at a time - but it happens.
I'm still flabbergasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Okaaaayyyyy....................

You're one of those people.
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If you see everything as a competition - I don't think you'll ever be happy. I hate to break it to you - but there is always going to be someone who makes more than you, who looks better than you, who is more successful than you, who is smarter than you, etc. Live your life for yourself and do what makes you happy.
as long as that isn't all put together in one package, I'm ok with being beaten

it's friendly competition guys, and it isn't fun with people who cannot possibly ever beat you at anything(I know atleast one person who isn't my competition in anything because I'm several levels above him)

EDIT: also, the three things that make me happiest are winning, accomplishing my goals and getting what I want

aside from my hobbies of course.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Spoiler
Same here. I hate my job because not only is it sales but you're forced to answer calls with an automated system and basically you don't have control over what calls you get.
I hate lying about them getting free stuff and then having to read 2 sales club script offers. If asked ''How much is this gonna cost me'', I just said ''It will cost you a couple moments of your time and go on a faster pace to get rid of that call (that company doesn't care about the free stuff offers; they only want to make money out of their 2 club trials), which is not really a lie because it's a long survey and it does ends up costing them time but they don't have to accept every single offer. However, I've heard others that said things like ''There is no catch, everything is free, blah, blah, etc. I don't have it in me to be a cold seller and I don't even like what is being promoted anyway.

I'm sick of call centers that involves sales and promotions (aka telemarketing). In addition, I'm really an introverted woman and don't have the profile of a seller nor someone that has the perfect words and/or rebuttals for convincing people over the phone. One time, someone actually asked ''What you doing, are you reading strictly from scripts''? and I answered ''Yes''.

I haven't made any sales for the longest while (I suck at it) and I'm close to being fired for that but I don't care. I've been trying to find something else related to my area, which I'm not pressured to make sales nor have to receive random calls within seconds. At times, I end up saying another name because the automated robot goes too fast.
why did you even go into sales if you can't stand it?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:27 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilkingx2 View Post
it's friendly competition guys, and it isn't fun with people who cannot possibly ever beat you at anything(I know atleast one person who isn't my competition in anything because I'm several levels above him)
Yeah, but World of Warcraft isn't real life and many consider it (and other video games) to be "stupid pipe dreams." (I believe that was how you described others' ambitions.) You look down on others for them having the interests they have, and yet your own interests have little to no use for others. For every opinion there is an equal and opposite opinion. And here's the thing about life: sometimes neither of these equal and opposite opinions are right or wrong!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
why did you even go into sales if you can't stand it?
I was being lied to by the coordinator. I was told it wasn't a sales campaign but only to generate lead, that I wasn't obligated to make sales. Suddenly, the rules have been changed about 2 weeks ago and now it has become a sales campaign and they don't care anymore that you've read all the scripts verbatim but just the sales.

If the client is too hesitant I just end up letting go of the call or just make it as boring as possible and not go for the ''Don't worry, everything is free, blah, blah,'' like the real cold sellers do.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yeah, but World of Warcraft isn't real life and many consider it (and other video games) to be "stupid pipe dreams." (I believe that was how you described others' ambitions.) You look down on others for them having the interests they have, and yet your own interests have little to no use for others. For every opinion there is an equal and opposite opinion. And here's the thing about life: sometimes neither of these equal and opposite opinions are right or wrong!
funny enough, the only games that we both play I am actually higher level than him in.

that means league of legends, maplestory, everything.

also disliking video games is called a wrong opinion, and they're not stupid pipe dreams because they are not goals or dreams, they are objects that are meant for your enjoyment and also among the greatest things in existance

also video games aren't a career so the comparison doesn't work, and video games have many practical uses(such as escaping from your life without drugs and entertaining for long periods of time with relatively small amounts of money)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
I was being lied to by the coordinator. I was told it wasn't a sales campaign but only to generate lead, that I wasn't obligated to make sales. Suddenly, the rules have been changed about 2 weeks ago and now it has become a sales campaign and they don't care anymore that you've read all the scripts verbatim but just the sales.

If the client is too hesitant I just end up letting go of the call and not go for the ''Don't worry, everything is free, blah, blah,'' like the real cold sellers do.
wait... the bolded is a typo right? you don't actually mean that you've only been selling for two weeks right?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
funny enough, the only games that we both play I am actually higher level than him in.

that means league of legends, maplestory, everything.
Riveting! I wish I were cool enough to excel at maplestory!

Quote:
also disliking video games is called a wrong opinion, and they're not stupid pipe dreams because they are not goals or dreams, they are objects that are meant for your enjoyment and also among the greatest things in existance
To you, yes. To others, no. People have different preferences. If you don't have the ability to see and respect this, ignorance reigns in your life.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
wait... the bolded is a typo right? you don't actually mean that you've only been selling for two weeks right?
Well it always had the same scripts but I wasn't forced to make any sales if none of the clients wanted that offer and before reading the offer, I always said ''This offer is optional'' but now I can't use that anymore. They made it into ''Do sales or get fired''.

It's been a bit more than a year now.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
is 90 to 100 hours in a single week even physically possible?
I had a job where 80 was average, and after a few years, that pace started to contribute to serious health ramifications.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 PM

64 posts, read 193,093 times
Any job that's unethical is a turn-off, for me.

Jobs where honesty and integrity is important, even vital, are the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships