Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:52 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,553,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Although I'm dating someone currently, I do still get approached. Here's the most recent approaches:

- they were my dad's age
- they were my grandfather's age
- they had gang or prison tattoos
- I'd watched him try and pick up a dozen women over the course of an hour, while I was doing my grocery shopping. I was attempt #13. This guy was actually pretty decent looking, but his M.O. was pretty unflattering.
- they invaded my personal space in a way that bothered me (tried to corner me or touch me)
good stuff. someone should do a day in the life of an attractive women video. you a shap shot of being hit on, being creeped on, crash and burns, good/solid approaches. that would be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 AM

355 posts, read 390,174 times
I feel like all the women who talk about turning down guys too young are lying

if you're hot enough to be picking up 20 year olds when you're 40, you're not going to settle for a 35 year old when you could have a hot college stud

Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 AM

37,165 posts, read 42,356,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilkingx2 View Post

if you're hot enough to be picking up 20 year olds when you're 40, you're not going to settle for a 35 year old when you could have a hot college stud
Immaturity is a turn off and most college guys are not "hot studs".

I rejected the last guy who approached me because he was a regular at the pub I was at and only wanted to get me to put my phone number into his phone. Why? I don't know, he didn't bother trying to have a convo with me or even find out if we had anything in common first. I wouldn't want to bother with a guy like that.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:46 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,463,149 times
Quote:

As flattering as it may be for a guy in their 20's to hit on women in their 30's or 40's some of us just find that uncomfortable. I'm in my 30's and could not imagine dating someone in their 20's.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 AM

11,419 posts, read 24,533,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadventurer View Post
much more reserved and buttoned down. They have shame and modesty enough that usually puts walking up to random women in public with the leg-hump routine out of the question (assuming everyone is sober of course).

What constitutes flirting with "good" guys is usually very subtle and easily overlooked as harmless small talk, if you ever find yourself in that position. Good guys will talk/flirt with you if you come within a certain physical proximity to them that makes them not look super obvious about it. (elevators, supermarket checkout line, etc.) but walking up to randoms and proceeding with a bunch of embarrassing questions? Probably won't be that obvious.
bingo!

Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 AM

11,419 posts, read 24,533,874 times
Quote:

Not true. When I was in my late 20's there was a younger guy who kept wanting to date me. I figured there must be something wrong with him.

If it doesn't make sense, we avoid the situation.

Besides, younger guys are overrated. Plenty of men have hot bods and functioning equipment. What I wanted was someone whose company I would enjoy, as well.

Dating an awkwardly young man, IMO, is the same as a middle aged man driving a convertible. Everyone knows he's having a midlife crisis.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,233,030 times
One kept bothering me, so I asked him what he was doing in a certain month and year (I already knew the answer).

He grinned real big and said he was starting the first grade, learning to read, etc. I replied that I was starting my freshman year in college (true)

Blew his mind I think....because it stopped his coming around.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:09 AM

12 posts, read 23,372 times
?The last guy to approach me said take me home. I have seen the guy before. I just turned and walked away. I am wanting more then a quick hook up. The one I run into are just wanting to hook up is all.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:28 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,823,626 times
Okay, I don't know that these are even "approaches." I am only claiming them to be because others told me they were. But as I've said before, I didn't get asked out, so in my mind, they were just encounters with men. But for the sake of the thread I figured I would bring them up.

The last guy to approach me did it when I was buying dog food for my dog. I don't even know if it was a pick-up approach or not. He started telling me what brands of food to buy and why it was better (my dog eats food my vet recommended). When I explained to him that my dog ate a certain food and why, he started to ask a series of questions about why I liked the food for my dog, how much it cost, how much I have to buy, etc, etc. Even as I started to walk away he followed me talking about dog food. Overall it was just "weird" and he gave me a weird vibe--especially the following as I started to walk away. Plus it was condescending because it all implied I didn't know how to feed my own dog.

The man before that got in my lap lane (we have roped off lap lanes at my pool) while I was swimming and stood there so I would have to run into him. I think he was surprised when it hurt (I swim pretty fast and not knowing someone was there, I ran into his stomach full force). Again, I don't know if it was an approach (I had two male friends tell me it was. I complained to them about "numbskulls" standing in the lap lanes and both told me, "he was trying to get your attention."). They weren't there, so I have my doubts that they know what they are talking about. But if it was some kind of pick-up, I don't get it because the result was I was pretty POed at him and let him know as he clutched his stomach.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:28 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,252,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Not true. When I was in my late 20's there was a younger guy who kept wanting to date me. I figured there must be something wrong with him.

If it doesn't make sense, we avoid the situation.

Besides, younger guys are overrated. Plenty of men have hot bods and functioning equipment. What I wanted was someone whose company I would enjoy, as well.

Dating an awkwardly young man, IMO, is the same as a middle aged man driving a convertible. Everyone knows he's having a midlife crisis.
What the **** is wrong with convertibles? Sometimes it's nice to get a little fresh air while you are cruising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships