Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:41 PM

6,622 posts, read 4,931,930 times

Advertisements

I've been on this website a few weeks. I have seen the comments of people who have a hard time getting dates. Some attribute that to how they look. It's nothing new - there are similar threads on other forums. I've never understood what seems to be learned helplessness. If you look lousy, work on that People have already tried and just don't talk about it? Or are the reasons for not changing things like not understanding why they're unattractive, not knowing how to dress better or lose weight and keep it off, unwillingness to change personal style, lack of money....? Explain it to me, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:43 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,454,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
knowing how... lose weight and keep it off
You figure this out, you'll make millions of dollars.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:45 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,256,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
You figure this out, you'll make millions of dollars.
What? Being fit and having a nice wardrobe (on a budget, too) is not hard at all.

...Is there a business opportunity I am missing out on?

Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:

reasons for not changing things like not understanding why they're unattractive,
unwillingness to change personal style, lack of money....? Explain it to me, please.
It's because some people would rather be themselves. Personal style for example is your nature - a lot of people think "faking it" isn't a good idea.

Lack of money doesn't eliminate everyone.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What? Being fit and having a nice wardrobe (on a budget, too) is not hard at all.

...Is there a business opportunity I am missing out on?
Ya, the 95% of people who lose weight and fail to keep it off. No one has figured that one out yet. You'll make more money succeeding at that than you would curing cancer.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,705,476 times
Because sometimes an unattractive appearance can't be 'cured' simply by losing weight. I've got a big nose but cant' get surgery, I'm also too tall and there's nothing I can do about that (not that I would though), my ribcage is super deep which makes me look much fatter than I really am...can't do much about that either. I guess I could get my tattoos lasered off but I really like them, and my scars aren't going anywhere either as I've tried multiple treatments that always end up making them look worse.

So, just 'losing weight and wearing nicer clothes' isn't going to make many people attractive all of a sudden.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:52 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,057,788 times
Quote:
I've been on this website a few weeks. I have seen the comments of people who have a hard time getting dates. Some attribute that to how they look. It's nothing new - there are similar threads on other forums. I've never understood what seems to be learned helplessness. If you look lousy, work on that People have already tried and just don't talk about it? Or are the reasons for not changing things like not understanding why they're unattractive, not knowing how to dress better or lose weight and keep it off, unwillingness to change personal style, lack of money....? Explain it to me, please.
If you think you're so great, why not write a book about your amazing greatness so you can make millions?

Old 07-21-2013, 12:53 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,256,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Because sometimes an unattractive appearance can't be 'cured' simply by losing weight. I've got a big nose but cant' get surgery, I'm also too tall and there's nothing I can do about that (not that I would though), my ribcage is super deep which makes me look much fatter than I really am...can't do much about that either. I guess I could get my tattoos lasered off but I really like them, and my scars aren't going anywhere either as I've tried multiple treatments that always end up making them look worse.

So, just 'losing weight and wearing nicer clothes' isn't going to make many people attractive all of a sudden.
Tall women with slender legs are attractive, to men that like legs.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,705,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Tall women with slender legs are attractive, to men that like legs.
I don't have slender legs.

So there's that.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,613,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
If you think you're so great, why not write a book about your amazing greatness so you can make millions?
A little bit of an overreaction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships