Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 12:54 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,405,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm sure I'll never like them. In addition to my personal dislike for them, they & people who have them are portrayed in society as unprofessional, seedy, slubbornly & not upscale, etc. I know tons of people have them, but still. If tattoos are so "great", why do workplaces want you to cover them up, wear long sleevs, etc.? Because of the reasons I stated: Not making a good impression, unprofessional, etc. I don't care how many people have them, I do not like them. There's a certain stigma that goes along with them. It's like mohawks. I hate them too by the way.
I dislike/despise judgmental people like you. Take your nonsense somewhere else, yo!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,689,717 times
Quote:
JetJockey, if that's what you think, fine with me, so be it. Everyone's different with different personalities. I never admitted to being the wildest, partying type, but my SO & I are fun in our own ways. We've never gone dancing, clubbing, karaoke, bars, etc....that's not our scene. I'm pretty down to earth, working on 2nd Masters degree, likes traveling & the more upscale/finer things in life. Took piano lessons from age 7-17. So whatever picture about me that's in your head from that, great!

I really don't care if people think we're "boring". Compared to most people, I'm sure we are. From time to time, we do talk about getting motorcycles for fun someday.
Are you saying that people with tattoos can't be educated, down to earth, like traveling and the more upscale/finer things in life? I can play multiple instruments, I have a music degree AND an engineering degree, a pilots license and I consider myself very down to earth. I just don't get how those things and having tattoos are mutually exclusive?

You seem to want to make yourself seem better than those with tattoos which is absolutely ridiculous. You may need to step off your pedestal and take a look around yourself.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:55 PM

12,806 posts, read 15,095,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't think you are coming off as boring. Judgmental and arrogant - yes. I can understand the point of your thread - just not the direction you have taken it in.
Well, it's not just me. You do know how SOCIETY in general views tattoos, mohawks & things of that nature right? Sorry to sound arrogant. Why does everyone have to love tattoos to not appear arrogant? (BTW, the piano statement was just to let people know another interest of mine to see the type of person I am in a nutshell. Picture me taking classical lessons at a prestigious music school all those years. Chances are, a person like that probably won't like tattoos. They very well could though like the rocker type musicians, so if so, so be it.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:56 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,756,512 times
Just because someone has a tattoo doesn't mean they're not wholesome or not a good person. (My 68 year old uber Catholic mother has one!)

While some workplaces want you to cover them up, they're not an issue in others. I know many professionals who make a very good income who have tattoos. Full sleeves, even. These days, the president of the PTA is likely to have a tattoo. The stigma has been breaking down for the last 15 years or so.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,334,005 times
Quote:
My longtime SO has never been into drinking, smoking, clubbing, drugs, etc. He's a wholesome, good person. He's not in his 20s anymore. Every so often, he wants to get a tattoo, but never comes close to doing it. He'll talk about it for a bit one day, then it's onto something else. I HATE, DESPISE, LOATHE them & he knows that. It's just my opinion about them & everyone has the right to their opinion about things. Chances are, he probably won't ever get one & even he's said that himself, but you never know. And no, him getting a tattoo isn't a deal breaker in our relationship.

Has this or something similar happened to you?
No, but if my SO wanted one I think it'd be great, course I've always supported my SOs desires....sweet that yours has never "been into drinking, smoking, clubbing, drugs etc, and he's not in his 20's anymore...does that have something to do with tattoos?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:57 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,239,133 times
Quote:
My longtime SO has never been into drinking, smoking, clubbing, drugs, etc. He's a wholesome, good person. He's not in his 20s anymore. Every so often, he wants to get a tattoo, but never comes close to doing it. He'll talk about it for a bit one day, then it's onto something else. I HATE, DESPISE, LOATHE them & he knows that. It's just my opinion about them & everyone has the right to their opinion about things. Chances are, he probably won't ever get one & even he's said that himself, but you never know. And no, him getting a tattoo isn't a deal breaker in our relationship.

Has this or something similar happened to you?

His body, his choice.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
...I can play multiple instruments, I have a music degree AND an engineering degree, a pilots license and I consider myself very down to earth. I just don't get how those things and having tattoos are mutually exclusive?...
That's outstanding & you should be proud of those accomplishments. So, do you have any tattoos? Why or why not, be honest!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,689,717 times
Quote:
That's outstanding & you should be proud of those accomplishments. So, do you have any tattoos? Why or why not, be honest!
Yes. I have a full sleeve, part of my upper back and one behind my ear.

Why? Because I wanted them.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yes. I have a full sleeve, part of my upper back and one behind my ear.

Why? Because I wanted them.
Good for you! I certainly don't expect strangers to listen to me...they do what they want.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,235,776 times
Quote:
Well, it's not just me. You do know how SOCIETY in general views tattoos, mohawks & things of that nature right? Sorry to sound arrogant. Why does everyone have to love tattoos to not appear arrogant? (BTW, the piano statement was just to let people know another interest of mine to see the type of person I am in a nutshell. Picture me taking classical lessons at a preetigious music school all those years. Chances are, a person like that probably won't like tattoos. They very well could though like the rocker type musicians, so if so, so be it.
Still arrogant...

It's not your dislike of tattoos that is making you seem arrogant. You don't have to like tattoos - and it doesn't really matter how society in general views anything - you, yourself, are still coming off like an arrogant arse. Just look at your piano statement - and then your explanation for it.

For the record - I started taking piano lessons at age 5 and got my BFA in musical theatre. And some of my classmates had tattoos. I've also studied opera a bit.

My not wanting to get a tattoo has nothing to do with society, me being boring or exciting, me liking the finer things or baser things in life - I simply don't want one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships