Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:48 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,221,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Oh I believe a lot of guys have a tattoo because young guys tend to like tattoos &/or they do it while out drinking with the guys. Now they're in their 50s with one, so I gues so be it.
Actually, a reputable tattoo artist will not tattoo people who come in inebriated, especially if that's their first encounter with the person. You should be sober when you first come in or make the appointment. Then, if you want to go out and have a couple of drinks to numb the pain or turn it into a bonding experience, fine. But a reputable tattoo artist will want assurance that you know what you are doing, which drunk people usually do not when it comes to that.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:49 PM

12,792 posts, read 15,038,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
When you go to the store and the 45 yr old soccer mom of three cashier ringing up your order has them, well, it's not exactly Peter Fonda in Easy Rider, is it?????
I'd bet money that they did it when they were a lot younger though, so of course since tattoos are permanent as we all know & not that easy to just get removed, we're going to see a LOT of oldr people with them I'm sure.

The question is, would a 40-60 yrs old get a tattoo in the first place at their age? I'm sure at that age, probably NOT. They have other things on their minds.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Actually, a reputable tattoo artist will not tattoo people who come in inebriated, especially if that's their first encounter with the person. You should be sober when you first come in or make the appointment. Then, if you want to go out and have a couple of drinks to numb the pain or turn it into a bonding experience, fine. But a reputable tattoo artist will want assurance that you know what you are doing, which drunk people usually do not when it comes to that.
But...a LOT of people do not go to a reputable place. They should if they care about their safety though, but, just like getting piercings, do you know how many get a tattoo in the garage of their brother's, cousin's, friend's, girlfriend's band member who claims he knows how to do them? Yeah, that's how people end up with hepatitis C too, but symptoms don't show up for yrs so many people don't know they have it! Eeek!

Old 07-28-2013, 01:54 PM

52,348 posts, read 52,815,472 times
Quote:
I'd bet money that they did it when they were a lot younger though, so of course since tattoos are permanent as we all know & not that easy to just get removed, we're going to see a LOT of oldr people with them I'm sure.

The question is, would a 40-60 yrs old get a tattoo in the first place at their age? I'm sure at that age, probably NOT. They have other things on their minds.
You ever heard of mid life crisis???

I'm sure a studio or two was visited during said event.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You ever heard of mid life crisis???
Yep, there's always those who feel they missed out on their youth & try to be young again & or the midlife crisis thing.

Don't get me started on old people trying to be young again...yech! If they've got kids & responsbilities, too bad! They need to be an adult now!

Old 07-28-2013, 02:02 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,115,241 times
I can see Forever Blue's point.

The posts would be entirely different if someone started a thread regarding their SO gaining weight. It's the same difference (unless the weight gain is involuntary as in a side effect of meds, etc.) They are changing their look, which may be different than what the other person is attracted to.

It could be that one of the things that attracted them to each other was the lack of tattoos . . .

Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,660,707 times
Quote:

I received my first tattoo when I as 18...11 years later I still love it and plan on adding more to it. It also takes me at least 2 meetings before I actually sit down to get work done. First one is for the brainstorm of the design, second is for making sure the design is right and there may be more meetings to tweak it a little bit before I ever sit in the chair. Right now, my artist is in CA while I live in MA so we've been emailing back and forth regarding part of my sleeve before I go back to CA in November to get it done.

Sure, some people just walk into a random parlor and get something hanging on the walls, but many of us take our time and realize this design will be on us for LIFE and take that seriously.

And I took my grandmother to get her first tattoo (she has three now ) for her 63rd birthday.

Quote:
But...a LOT of people do not go to a reputable place. They should if they care about their safety though, but, just like getting piercings, do you know how many get a tattoo in the garage of their brother's, cousin's, friend's, girlfriend's band member who claims he knows how to do them? Yeah, that's how people end up with hepatitis C too, but symptoms don't show up for yrs so many people don't know they have it! Eeek!
Agreed...but that doesn't mean that everyone who gets a tattoo is getting them from their brother's friend in his basement. My tattoo artist is cleaner than my dentist...and I made a point to let my dentist know that.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,755,372 times
Quote:
Yep, there's always those who feel they missed out on their youth & try to be young again & or the midlife crisis thing.

Don't get me started on old people trying to be young again...yech! If they've got kids & responsbilities, too bad! They need to be an adult now!
You seem to have a narrow view about the definition of an adult. My definition includes doing whatever you want to do as long as it doesn't harm anyone. I hardly think inking your own body hurts anyone else.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:06 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
The suggestion to carve up our flesh and display it does not come from within but from around us
Not every whisper is that of a friend

Old 07-28-2013, 02:08 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,095,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
His body, his choice.
Exactly what I was going to say.

However, with that said..if he came home with a tattoo covering his face I'm not sure I'd be thrilled with that. I can see something like that bothering me a lot.

He'd never get a tattoo though, so I don't have to worry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.