Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,225,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OK guys. read my original thread. We're not turning this into me thinking I'm better than anyone else. Let's stick to & comment regarding the title: SO wants tattoo, but you despise it

If all the rocket scientists in the world have a tattoo, good for them! I just don't like tattoos. I really don't like the look of them. If someone likes a certain image/picture that much, they can blow it up poster size & hang it on the wall. That's good enough for me. I'm no fan of doing something permanently to one's body that wans't there before...unless it was a matter of saving the person's life. That's different.
I can't imagine despising a tattoo on my SO. He's actually the first person I've dated who has one. In fact, he's thinking of getting a second one, and when he told me what he was thinking of getting, I went online and found a few images to give him ideas. He's actually going to use one of them, and he's been tweaking it a bit in PhotoShop. He had multiple piercings in his youth, too, although his occupation forbids visible piercings now--which would be law enforcement, BTW, which would also give the lie to your comment about society regarding people with tattoos in a negative light. In fact, next time you see a bunch of cops, firefighters, EMTs, and guys in the military, assume that at least half of them have one, if not several, especially if they are younger than 40.

Now if he wanted to do something extreme (if he could) and cover his face and head with them, or the vast proportion of his chest or body with them, I would say that although it's still his body, his choice, I might have a hard time finding that attractive. If he got them and I got turned off, well, that's the end of that and I hope he finds someone who likes them or at least can get past them.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,669,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Tattoos are nasty. They are a major turn-off both personally as well as professionally. From a guy's perspective, a woman's body is most beautiful as it is, without it being contaminated with graffiti.

And for those folks who don't like my opinion, go pound sand.
You mean from your perspective, not a guy's perspective.

And what about scars? Stretch marks? I guess that makes her contaminated as well?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,211,532 times
Quote:
What about the other side of the coin? If you're with someone you truly love & plan to marry or are married to them, this should also mean that you value their opinion becuase they're important to you, so you may not do something they dislike. Sure, you may have to sacrifice a bit, but if your feelings of the other person are that important, you won't do something. It's respecting the other's opinions.
Do you get your haircut in only ways your partner approves of? Do you only wear clothes that he likes? Neither my husband nor I care for tattoos - but if up and changed his mind one day - it would be his decision. If he was going to get it on his face or something - I'd question his sanity since it's completely out of character - but if he decided he wanted to get something on his back or ankle or what have you - that would be his decision.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM

52,384 posts, read 52,844,834 times
I think you can voice your feelings to your SO, but don't nag him about it, I'm sure he's probably aware of your take on the subject.

At the end of the day, though, it's his body and if he wants to do it, he can, in a perfect world, he wouldn't out of respect for your opinion, but like I said, it's his choice.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,244,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You mean from your perspective, not a guy's perspective.

And what about scars? Stretch marks? I guess that makes her contaminated as well?
English 101: "from a guy's perspective" ... singular possessive, implies my perspective.

Scars and stretch marks are natural; scars and stretch marks are not graffiti.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:34 PM

12,794 posts, read 15,052,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
...In fact, next time you see a bunch of cops, firefighters, EMTs, and guys in the military, assume that at least half of them have one, if not several, especially if they are younger than 40.
Oh I believe a lot of guys have a tattoo because young guys tend to like tattoos &/or they do it while out drinking with the guys. Now they're in their 50s with one, so I gues so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Do you get your haircut in only ways your partner approves of? Do you only wear clothes that he likes?
Hair & clothing are NOT permanent though. But regarding hairstyles & clothes, I've done what I want, but sure, it's nice to have hair & clothes that one's partner likes, which I've also done too at times.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:39 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,211,532 times
Quote:
Oh I believe a lot of guys have a tattoo because young guys tend to like tattoos &/or they do it while out drinking with the guys. Now they're in their 50s with one, so I gues so be it.

Hair & clothing are NOT permanent though. But regarding hairstyles & clothes, I've done what I want, but sure, it's nice to have hair & clothes that one's partner likes, which I've also done too at times.
So the only thing that bothers you about it is that it's permanent?

My point was that most people use their bodies (hair, makeup, clothes, tattoos or lack thereof) as an expression of who they are - not who their partner is. Yes, I like to wear outfits that I know my husband likes - but they are outfits that I picked out in the first place. I'm not saying that my husband's opinion doesn't count at all - merely that if there was something that I was very passionate about that wasn't his cup of tea - at the end of the day, it's my body.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,669,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
English 101: "from a guy's perspective" ... singular possessive, implies my perspective.

Scars and stretch marks are natural; scars and stretch marks are not graffiti.
I misread it, no need to be an a-hole over it.

I disagree that scars and stretch marks are 'natural'. They are a cause and effect and mar the body no differently than a tattoo.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 PM

52,384 posts, read 52,844,834 times
I don't think tattoo's have the same social stigma that they had yrs ago, I see all kinds of people with them, matter of fact, they have become sort of passé in my opinion.

When you go to the store and the 45 yr old soccer mom of three cashier ringing up your order has them, well, it's not exactly Peter Fonda in Easy Rider, is it?????

Old 07-28-2013, 01:47 PM

12,794 posts, read 15,052,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So the only thing that bothers you about it is that it's permanent? ...
That's one major aspect about it. There's not a whole range of tattoo images people at age 19 wll still like when they're 62. People grow, they get different ideas & perpectives, etc. My SO would never get a name tattoo. He talks about his guy he knows who has a tattoo of his own last name across his chest. Uh, why the hell would anyone do that? Don't they know their own name?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships