Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You said a mouthful! GEEZ, some on CD definitely have a level of self involvement that makes them their own worse enemies for sure.
You totally lost me there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
If someone is that quick to jump to negative conclusions, then I say let them weed you out.

If you are not sure what someone means about themselves when they make a certain statement, then ASK! Good communication runs both ways. Active listening means asking questions & repeating back in your own words what you just heard to verify you understood correctly.

I never would have imagined expressing a desire to travel means you're a gold-digger either... what a leap in "logic".

Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
Not Drinking: Why does not drinking need an explanation at all? Not everyone who avoids pork is vegetarian, Jewish or Muslim; some people just don't like pork.
Right. I don't see why not drinking ( and "not being a recovering alcoholic", as the OP said) would be a red flag. Does that mean that being a recovering alcoholic ISN'T a red flag??

Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I'd kind of like to find an awesome sweetie who lives in a cool town first, and then move to where they live, rather than picking the town first. How do I say this (e.g. in a profile) without sounding like I want to move in with someone and mooch off them, or make a relationship move too fast? Y'all know I am fanatical about paying my own way and need a lot of space to myself
Honestly, this sounds like a huge red flag, regardless of who's paying. Sorry, just sayin'

I wouldn't care how good looking someone was-if they told me this, I'd *click* delete.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You totally lost me there.
You said, "And some people see those dastardly red flags in something as simple as, "Do you like your fried eggs well done or over easy?" which I took to mean some see "red flags" in very silly things.

I was saying that too many on CD are shallow and spend time worrying about superficial things that prevent them from ever connecting with anyone, thus making them their own worst enemies.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM

936 posts, read 2,061,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. I don't see why not drinking ( and "not being a recovering alcoholic", as the OP said) would be a red flag. Does that mean that being a recovering alcoholic ISN'T a red flag??
For me, her being a recovering alcoholic would be more "heightened scrutiny" rather than "red flag". If her recovery is relatively long-term and stable, then so long as things stay that way, it's fine by me. If she's newly sober, not maintaining, not working her program, etc., that's a deal breaker for me. To me, it would be no different than an insulin-dependent diabetic not taking her insulin as prescribed.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
For me, her being a recovering alcoholic would be more "heightened scrutiny" rather than "red flag". If her recovery is relatively long-term and stable, then so long as things stay that way, it's fine by me. If she's newly sober, not maintaining, not working her program, etc., that's a deal breaker for me. To me, it would be no different than an insulin-dependent diabetic not taking her insulin as prescribed.
The situation might be reversed, though, if it were a man who's a recovering alcoholic. Some men go in and out of recovery as a means to control a woman. I suppose a woman could do that, too, but men are capable of doing more damage than women, generally. I would see it as a red flag. I don't know why not being interested in alcohol at all would be a red flag, unless alcohol were an important part of someone's socializing. I don't really see anything red-flaggy in any of the items mentioned in the OP.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:

And one from my own life:

I want to move to a new city, and am open to many possible locations. I'd kind of like to find an awesome sweetie who lives in a cool town first, and then move to where they live, rather than picking the town first. How do I say this (e.g. in a profile) without sounding like I want to move in with someone and mooch off them, or make a relationship move too fast? Y'all know I am fanatical about paying my own way and need a lot of space to myself
I want to move too in a year. I figured the only way to do it is to move first, then date once I'm there.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Well, with the traveling part you say where and what you liked about the travel you have done.

I can't tell you how many profiles said stuff about loving travel, but you ask them and they've been to Ohio.

I wouldn't even bring up the not drinking, it's kind of a non-issue, at least for a profile.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Some of us have stuff that is true, and important for determining compatibility, but that people often misinterpret as red flags. This is thread for discussing better ways to phrase that stuff .

Examples from current threads:

What if you don't drink and are not a recovering alcoholic?

How about stating "I don't drink but don't mind when others have a drink or two"

What if you love to travel and want a mate who loves it too, but have no interest in the mate's money or in expensive forms of travel?

How about "I prefer long weekend trips that are within driving distance when traveling and relaxing"

And one from my own life:

I want to move to a new city, and am open to many possible locations. I'd kind of like to find an awesome sweetie who lives in a cool town first, and then move to where they live, rather than picking the town first. How do I say this (e.g. in a profile) without sounding like I want to move in with someone and mooch off them, or make a relationship move too fast? Y'all know I am fanatical about paying my own way and need a lot of space to myself

"Looking for a new city to start the next chapter of my life and would like to find a good man to help write this chapter".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships