Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,222,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not to mention, as of this year only 4% of all diamonds coming on to the market are considered blood or "conflict" diamonds.

The other 96% are coming from legit sources so why should ALL diamond purchases be boycotted?

Conflict Diamond Statistics | Statistic Brain

In addition, Africa supplies only about 60% of all diamonds to the market - they do come from other parts of the world too.

Good info on this link...

HowStuffWorks "Blood Diamonds in Africa"
Your own links disagree with you. From the second one:

Quote:
According to De Beers, more than 70 countries participate in the Kimberley Process, which requires the governments in these countries to ensure that all diamond shipments are exported in secure containers. In addition, each shipment must also have a specifically numbered and government-validated certificate that promises the shipment does not contain conflict diamonds. The countries must also agree to refuse any diamond shipments not containing an authentic Kimberley Process Certificate.
De Beers? Really? The biggest buyer of blood diamonds on the planet?

Quote:
Proponents of the Kimberley Process claim that 99.8 percent of the world's diamonds are now legitimate and conflict-free. Critics, however, claim that the program doesn't prevent diamonds from being easily smuggled from war-torn countries to Kimberley Process countries and then passed off as legitimate. In fact, the United Nations and the United States government released reports as recently as 2006 stating that roughly $23 million worth of Ivory Coast diamonds were smuggled into trade and distributed as legitimate
That bolded sentence notes exactly the problem: The smuggling. If you watch the videos, you will see that the claim of "only 4%" is not verfiable because the pedigrees are not being tracked because the diamonds are being smuggled.

If you want to make sure that a diamond is not a blood diamond, you must buy it from Canada or buy a synthetic. If it crosses an ocean, you have no real guarantee because of the smuggling, the falsified paperwork, and the money laundering.

Please do not gloss over the facts because this is a very real, ongoing problem and people are dying just so Americans can have their bling. Maybe you are okay with potentially giving your money to people like Joseph Kony, but I'm not. Not even a 1% chance would make vanity worth the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 04:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If you truly love her and want to spend the rest of your life with her - then your proposal should not be a test of your love - it should be an expression of it. And if she loves you and your proposal is an expression of your love and not a test, she should say yes no matter how much you spent on the ring. If you buy a ring that you know she won't like to prove a point - well, that's a pretty crappy way to start a relationship. And if she will only say yes if you spent X amount on a ring - well, that's a pretty crappy way to start a relationship as well.

How does she know how much her friends' rings were? I've never told any of my friends how much my ring was and I have no idea how much any of theirs were either. I would never even think of asking them.
Yeah...I have no idea how much most of my friends rings cost, it's not something that comes up in polite conversation. In fact, most of my friends have vintage or estate jewelry and I did help two of their now husbands pick out the rings themselves, so I do know those prices. Both were well under 1k and both women absolutely LOVED the rings. They were both purchased on etsy.com if that matters any.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yeah...I have no idea how much most of my friends rings cost, it's not something that comes up in polite conversation. In fact, most of my friends have vintage or estate jewelry and I did help two of their now husbands pick out the rings themselves, so I do know those prices. Both were well under 1k and both women absolutely LOVED the rings. They were both purchased on etsy.com if that matters any.
I totally agree - I would NEVER ask someone how much their ring cost - or what size the stone was or the total weight or whatever. I mean, between girlfriends - CLOSE friends - or on an anonymous site like this - it's OK to discuss price, size, etc. but to ask someone what their ring cost - even your FIANCE - well, it's just ridiculous. BAD SIGN.

Back away slowly!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:59 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
I wonder if the OP is still going to go through with the proposal, after all this, lol! Poor guy.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-31-2013 at 06:54 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,212,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wonder if the OP is still going to go through the proposal, after all this, lol! Poor guy.
If he does he may wind up "losing" later.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Exactly right. It's just uncouth to make the price of something so personal public knowledge

Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Actually, I don't think that ^^ (photo) would happen to this OP. He already had a whole thread about car-buying, and who should pay for whose car and how much, and all that.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,212,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, I don't think that ^^ (photo) would happen to this OP. He already had a whole thread about car-buying, and who should pay for whose car and how much, and all that.
Just then think of any of his other possessions in place of it instead.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:10 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,222,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
If he does he may wind up "losing" later.
Say, OP, did you ever get that sports car you mentioned in one of your other threads?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,151,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If you truly love her and want to spend the rest of your life with her - then your proposal should not be a test of your love - it should be an expression of it. And if she loves you and your proposal is an expression of your love and not a test, she should say yes no matter how much you spent on the ring. If you buy a ring that you know she won't like to prove a point - well, that's a pretty crappy way to start a relationship. And if she will only say yes if you spent X amount on a ring - well, that's a pretty crappy way to start a relationship as well.
Yes...

The focus on money is what is most disturbing. I get the impression the OP cherishes his wallet more than his human relationships.

Personally, I did not know people spent more than $3K on a ring, and even that sounds like a lot to me.
Since you generally wear the ring all the time & it's a symbol of your commitment, if I ever got engaged, then I'd like one which suits my style & is nice looking; and I'd appreciate a partner who considered my feelings in picking out a ring & did not get stuck on cost (beyond not spending above their means). Given my taste, I'd probably be pleased with a relatively inexpensive non-diamond, vintage, funky piece. But the point is, it's more about attitude than money spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships