Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 08:12 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

i recently became interested in history and govt. but unless it's presented in an interesting and enlightening format and is not one sided (like those loudmouths who present only their side of the story) it can be overwhelming to learn. i find the politics for dummies etc books to be helpful in that regard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
A few years ago I would have wrote her off as just another alienated follower of popular culture and her apolitical attitude would have been a deal breaker.

But you have a unique opportunity here. Celebrities (and particularly their corporate handlers) and political intrigue go hand in hand. Maybe you two would find it mutually pleasurable to explore the scope of which the ideologies and tour locations of celebrities reflect or influence the political ideologies of the populace, and how certain governments and organizations in society use this to their advantage as either an offensive or defensive weapon to gain or sustain power.

Many celebrities have a public persona of a junkie only interested in superficial pursuits, but are actually much smarter and deeper behind the scenes, such as Ke$ha. Ke$ha and her handlers are involved in an array of political pursuits, ideological influences pushed to be adopted by a world audience, etc. etc.

I'll leave it to you two to find out how deep their activities permeate your activities and greater community on a local, national, and international stage. You study history and politics. Throughout the course of civilization celebrities have employed pathos rhetoric and provided an image for people to try to emulate in accordance with the ruling ideology of the day. I surmise you two could learn a lot through an inter-cultural dialogue and bridge the gap somehow if both parties are interested in mental growth.

Most people who hate celebrities (not saying anyone in this thread) are hypocritical because they are aiming for the same thing, they accept society's cultural goals and the moral means of achieving those goals (what is believed to be success).
True. More and more, politicians are exactly like celebrities. They're groomed for the television every bit as much as the Hollywood, their packaged for the audiences by the media.

Just like the big deal made recently of the First Lady's bangs --- really almost more than would have been made of a new hair style on Lady Gaga.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 AM

410 posts, read 515,190 times
you must be bored talking to the walls in the house about educated topics. That sucks that your partner doesn't want to get an education to excite your mind instead of bore the crap out of it with gossip and rumours celebrity stuff.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:57 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
I've been with my girlfriend for 18 months an and am in a very stable relationship. She's a little close-minded though when it comes to certain things. I don't think she's well aware of what things are going on in the world right now, how the economy works, who are the major influential people in the world, what causes our taxes to go up, etc. She's even made fun of me a few times for spending my spare time looking up random articles on anything to broaden my knowledge - european history, insects, animals, astronomy, religious stuff, you name it....and suggesting that she should try it some time because it's fun to expand your mind on stuff. Most of this stuff I won't use in the real world, but I mainly keep it to myself and only bring it up if the topic of conversation with a person warrants it.
Honestly, you sound a little bit like a know-it-all. You don't need to be a walking encyclopedia to be considered knowledgeable and intelligent.

Quote:
If we're around other people, I feel pretty embarassed if she talks about the personal lives of random celebrities. I also feel it undermines my intelligence a bit.
It sounds like you aren't very secure in your intelligence or you wouldn't have to constantly prove it people or feel undermined by someone else's intelligence. Trouble is, if you were with someone who was more intelligent than she is, you would be threatened by it. You are deliberately with someone less intelligent because it makes you feel more intelligent. So stop whining because this is exactly what you want.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Like someone else said a few posts back, the real issue seems to be that neither of them really respects the other. She makes fun of him for his interests, and he's here talking about how much she turns him off as well.

That's the core issue. Lack of mutual respect and appreciation.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:29 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
I've been with my girlfriend for 18 months an and am in a very stable relationship. She's a little close-minded though when it comes to certain things. I don't think she's well aware of what things are going on in the world right now, how the economy works, who are the major influential people in the world, what causes our taxes to go up, etc. She's even made fun of me a few times for spending my spare time looking up random articles on anything to broaden my knowledge - european history, insects, animals, astronomy, religious stuff, you name it....and suggesting that she should try it some time because it's fun to expand your mind on stuff. Most of this stuff I won't use in the real world, but I mainly keep it to myself and only bring it up if the topic of conversation with a person warrants it. However I think this is common in relationships - there will always be that one partner that doesn't really care about that kind of stuff and it's hard to get a match on that type of level. I get that.

But what really turns me off at the end of the day is that she knows waaaaay too much about celebrities, who they're married or divorced to, what movies they're in, what their political beliefs are, whether they're gay or straight, etc. I feel like she's the type of person to parrot what her celebrity idols say. If we're around other people, I feel pretty embarassed if she talks about the personal lives of random celebrities. I also feel it undermines my intelligence a bit.

I don't know how to tell her this bothers me because to a normal person, I don't think it would. Normally I try to just change the topic of conversation, but I'm not sure.

Sort of a weird topic I know - reminds me of a typical Seinfeld episode.
What do you mean by turn off? Sexually? Aren't most women like this? The women in my office know the life story of Kim Kardashian by heart and spent a few days debating her baby's name.

My sister is like this as well as are most of my exes. I will credit my most recent ex she did make a mild attempt to broaden her horizons to learn about some of the current event topics I was discussing. However when the newest incarnation of Scandal or Real Housewives came on it was lights out.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:37 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
Call me a b**ch, but I think it's people like her that exemplify what's wrong with the USA - too many people who don't care at all about history or how government works, but spend every waking hour following celebrity gossip.

I'd have trouble putting up with that too, OP.
My thoughts exactly - well said. That kind of shallow mindset is, indeed, at the heart of our demise and why we have done so little to stand in its way.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:39 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
It's a fine line between being up enough on pop culture to still be considered "cool" or "with it", and totally being absorbed into it to the point of reading the tabloids and pretending that crap actually matters.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:54 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Bodacious tatas make up for a lot of other shortcomings, though.
Bodacious tatas do not last forever. THEN what will you do?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:54 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
I'd be a little turned off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships