Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 05:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

I am now happily married, but when I got divorced and started dating again in my forties, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of men out there actually looking for a life partner, not just a hook up. Very high percentage actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 06:07 PM

105 posts, read 283,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The biggest difference I see between my generation (I am 44) and people in their 20s is that the so-called "hook up culture" has pretty much replaced dating and "real" relationships for many younger people.

Please don't get me wrong. I realize there are still young people who date. Also, there was plenty of "hooking up" going on when I was younger. The difference, though, is that for my generation, hooking up was never the norm. It was just one option, and not considered that respectable an option.

But now, it seems like young women, in particular, have to campaign just to get young men to call them "girlfriend." The young men all seemed determined to "not get attached," to stick to "friends with benefits" or "no strings attached" arrangements. Yes, I know some young women seek these, too. But let's be honest. For the most part, the hook up culture works more in the interests of young men than of young women.
I'm in my late 20s and I feel this way as well. It's been near impossible to find a man who doesn't just wanna hookup or date around as much as possible. The guys who passed me on sometimes ended up in relationships after me, but they only seemed to be short term (6 mos or so)

The people I know my age who ARE married are still with their high school sweethearts. A couple of my female friends have managed to land men who are with them because the women are financially supporting them. I have 1 friend who after 10 years of bad men finally met a seemingly good guy at a club last year and they're now living together.

As for the rest? We all complain about the same **** and it's true that men seem to have all of the control. We would like be girlfriends to them, but its really hard to get them to commit to us.

But then again I have a few single male friends in their late 20s-early 30s who complain about the same.

It really sucks for just about anyone who is single in this generation it

Old 08-03-2013, 06:14 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
have you seen Miley Cyrus' latest video? link below

Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop - YouTube

She's all grown up as a 20yo single lady. she's going xtina/madonna rouge
Not to go OT or anything, but what is it, with all of these former squeaky-clean Disney pop princesses like Miley Cyrus and similar artists and actresses, completely turning their backs on their previous very clean images and suddenly projecting the exact opposite images of being extremely risqué, racy, raunchy, and highly s*xualized? I've never understood this phenomenon, which also happened to similar artists like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Selena Gomez, and others? After viewing the video clip referenced in the earlier post, I was quite truthfully shocked and appalled, at the "new" Miley...

Do they just suddenly wake up one day, and instantly forget about and throw out the window everything they used to be? How do they deal with the accompanying loss of "selfhood"...how do they simply forget who they were previously, and their own roots? (Truth be told, I always liked them much better, *before* they went all "bad girl" image...)

ETA: to her credit, Taylor Swift is currently the only mainstream female, young-adult celebrity singer that I know of who has not gone to the Dark Side, which is refreshing. IMO, Taylor's act is first-rate, much more tactful, and very tame and even practically angelic, compared to the Miley Cyruses and the Selena Gomezes, of the world...my own personal vote for the most beautiful and class-act, young-adult female celebrity singer therefore goes to Taylor!

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 08-03-2013 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Adds / Edits

Old 08-03-2013, 06:24 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am now happily married, but when I got divorced and started dating again in my forties, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of men out there actually looking for a life partner, not just a hook up. Very high percentage actually.
You were probably dating men on their 40s and not 20s. Im 41 and remember my aunts and uncles being part of the free love culture which was as much about hooking up as anything today.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You were probably dating men on their 40s and not 20s. Im 41 and remember my aunts and uncles being part of the free love culture which was as much about hooking up as anything today.
Well, of course, but I'm not talking about the 1960s or 70s - I'm talking about people my age TODAY.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Not to go OT or anything, but what is it, with all of these former squeaky-clean Disney pop princesses like Miley Cyrus and similar artists and actresses, completely turning their backs on their previous very clean images and suddenly projecting the exact opposite images of being extremely risqué, racy, raunchy, and highly s*xualized? I've never understood this phenomenon, which also happened to similar artists like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Selena Gomez, and others? After viewing the video clip referenced in the earlier post, I was quite truthfully shocked and appalled, at the "new" Miley...

Do they just suddenly wake up one day, and instantly forget about and throw out the window everything they used to be? How do they deal with the accompanying loss of "selfhood"...how do they simply forget who they were previously, and their own roots? (Truth be told, I always liked them much better, *before* they went all "bad girl" image...)

ETA: to her credit, Taylor Swift is currently the only mainstream female, young-adult celebrity singer that I know of who has not gone to the Dark Side, which is refreshing. IMO, Taylor's act is first-rate, much more tactful, and very tame and even practically angelic, compared to the Miley Cyruses and the Selena Gomezes, of the world...my own personal vote for the most beautiful and class-act, young-adult female celebrity singer therefore goes to Taylor!
Taylor is known as the boy hopper. She's a trouble maker as well.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
I imagine it's a lot easier for guys than it was in the past...

These days it's more or less a matter of texting a girl to hang out and you're in.

It's sad because I have sisters and idk, if guys treat them how they treat other women...it's just hard for them.

As a guy who's looking out for his siblings...it's a lot more difficult. Because I know exactly what most guys are like....(it's just about carnal satisfaction in that moment then moving on to the next....disgusting really, but I'm not innocent...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships