Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Because you're not supposed to tell her, you're supposed to show her.
To me, that would sound like he was trying some ridiculous, cheesy pick-up line if my husband said that.

Besides, he doesn't have to say it...he already does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 AM

11,797 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Mmmm, not so sure about that. I kinda like things fixed around the house. But then I live with a man who considers that the trash bag put in front of the door (we live in an apartment) is just in the way, so he moves it to the right (or the left, he's crazy like that sometimes) and then feels like he has solved the problem of getting out of the door.

ANYTHING he might fix in the house would make me feel as heard and a woman

Back on subject, the article mostly felt to me as a man who is very sad about his divorce and wished he could get back in time. But most of what he says, not all, is good advice and applies to both gender I think.
I don't mean fix things as in literally repair broken things around the house. In reference to women wanting to be heard, if they've had a bad day, or something's gone wrong. I don't want the problem solved for me, I want to be heard. It's one of the disconnects between the genders and the way our thinking is wired. Men are generally problem-solvers, so if we present them an issue, they're looking for a way to fix it, not realizing that we want to talk about it, want to be heard, might need a hug. It's not the issue itself, it's our feelings and reaction to it that we want support for.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:40 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Mmmm, not so sure about that. I kinda like things fixed around the house. But then I live with a man who considers that the trash bag put in front of the door (we live in an apartment) is just in the way, so he moves it to the right (or the left, he's crazy like that sometimes) and then feels like he has solved the problem of getting out of the door.

ANYTHING he might fix in the house would make me feel as heard and a woman

Back on subject, the article mostly felt to me as a man who is very sad about his divorce and wished he could get back in time. But most of what he says, not all, is good advice and applies to both gender I think.
That's not what it meant by "fix things". It's more about if I come home and say I had a crappy day at work, I want my honey to just listen, put his arms around me and tell me it's okay, not to tell me a list of solutions or that I should do this or that - men tend to see women's being upset as something they have to "fix" when that is not what we're looking for.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:43 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,019 times
It was just a joke, I probably should have said so

Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
That's not what it meant by "fix things". It's more about if I come home and say I had a crappy day at work, I want my honey to just listen, put his arms around me and tell me it's okay, not to tell me a list of solutions or that I should do this or that - men tend to see women's being upset as something they have to "fix" when that is not what we're looking for.
Unless we're complaining ABOUT him...then he has to fix it.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 AM

480 posts, read 1,917,755 times
Quote:
I know this, but have never been that good at it. I always end up slipping and trying to make suggestions. I've been married 6 years. We have a good relationship but could always communicate better.

What I don't know is, how do I listen? Do I just smile and nod? Should I talk it back to her, almost repeating it back (like, "she said that? I can't believe it") so she knows I'm actually listening, or just sit there and at the end just hug her and say "that sucks honey, I'm sorry that happened" then move on with our day?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 AM

11,797 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
I know this, but have never been that good at it. I always end up slipping and trying to make suggestions. I've been married 6 years. We have a good relationship but could always communicate better.

What I don't know is, how do I listen? Do I just smile and nod? Should I talk it back to her, almost repeating it back (like, "she said that? I can't believe it") so she knows I'm actually listening, or just sit there and at the end just hug her and say "that sucks honey, I'm sorry that happened" then move on with our day?

I think the hug and the "that sucks honey, etc" is a great thing, because it shows you were listening to what she said, and demonstrates that you care about how she's feeling. You could follow up with "is there anything i can do?", at which point she'll likely say no, or ask you to help hide the body. Seriously though, it's usually not whatever is bothering her that is the issue, it's that it's bothering her is what needs to be focused on.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:13 AM

I agree, Liberty- it's perfectly fine if my husband asks "is there anything I can do". Usually I also say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships