Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times

Advertisements

I have always said that just because someone is married or in a relationship does not necessarily mean that he or she is happy which brings me to this subject.
Do you know a couple (married or in a long term relationship) where both man and women project an image of happiness and love when they are in public but in reality they are anything but happy or in love with each other?
I know.several couples like that, one of my customers went through a divorce last year. I used to see him at a mexican restaurant across the street from my shop. He used to go there with his wife and 2 teenage kids. They always seemed like a perfectly happy all american family. She was an attractive woman and he was hard working man. Several years later I found out through another customer that his wife had left him. As soon as their youngest child went off to college she left. And just like that it was over after 19 years of marriage. I could not believe it because they always looked so happy in public. Do you have a similar story? If you do I would like to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I have always said that just because someone is married or in a relationship does not necessarily mean that he or she is happy which brings me to this subject.
Do you know a couple (married or in a long term relationship) where both man and women project an image of happiness and love when they are in public but in reality they are anything but happy or in love with each other?
I know.several couples like that, one of my customers went through a divorce last year. I used to see him at a mexican restaurant across the street from my shop. He used to go there with his wife and 2 teenage kids. They always seemed like a perfectly happy all american family. She was an attractive woman and he was hard working man. Several years later I found out through another customer that his wife had left him. As soon as their youngest child went off to college she left. And just like that it was over after 19 years of marriage. I could not believe it because they always looked so happy in public. Do you have a similar story? If you do I would like to hear it.
I didn't know them as a couple but I have a neighbor that says that her first marriage was like that. She says everyone was shocked when they got divorced - but it was a miserable marriage that just got worse and worse.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Yes my sister's marriage is like that.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:07 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
A great, great many people put on a front for the sake of their children and wait until they graduate from college and don't like airing their dirty laundry in public. My parents waited until my brother was in college before they split after 23 years.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,917 times
I was in a marriage just like that. My ex wife and I seemed to be a happy couple and as far as I knew we were doing just fine but she was harboring some deep secrets and was secretly very unhappy living the domestic lifestyle. She came from a broken home in which her mom was married a few times and she moved a lot when she was younger and her family was your typical white trash welfare receivers that never wanted to earn an honest living and would rather live on welfare.

So while we were together we had a stable place to live, I worked full time and despite her protests I made her get a full time job as well. We had a baby boy and life was good or so it seemed. Just seven years into the marriage she found some other guy in some chat room with the same views that she had (welfare for life) and she ran off with him and left me and my son. I have no idea where she is now but I had heard from mutual friends that she and this new fella were homeless and living in a campground in Oregon somewhere and living their dream of food stamps and welfare.

When it happened we were all shocked. She gave no indication that she was that unhappy and ready to just take off like she did. If you knew us as a couple you would never believe that she would do such a thing and even more shocking was that she would abandon her own child. I guess I am grateful for that at least. Had she tried to take him things would have gotten way ugly.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:31 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
One of my friends. She works and socializes mainly with the church so she has to keep up a front that everything is great but behind closed doors she is miserable and tells me so. I think the image front is kind of a good thing though because It's one of the only things keeping them together. That and finances but they have no children together.

She says in public when around people, she brings his name up when he's not there with her so people wont think that they are not doing ok, and when he's with her, she puts her arm around her husband and sits close to him to seem happy but in private she never touches him.

Last edited by srjth; 08-31-2013 at 04:44 AM..

Old 08-31-2013, 07:24 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
This is SOOOOO true. Just because someone is in a relationship does not mean they're happy. There are countless couples who put on a show when out in public but can't STAND each other when they get home. My aunt and uncle who got divorced a few years ago was a perfect example.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Although I am a little dissapointed and the small number of responses to my thread I really appreciate those of you that have participated and the replies have been great so I will conttibute some more to see if we can keep this thread alive. I have another friend who married a girl from Vietnam after knowing her for only two weeks and things went well for a few months and then it started to get bad and it had been a constant rollercoaster ever since. They are ok for a few days and then it's back to fighting. She treats him like crap and he still stays with her. The sad part is that his own family is split when it comes to their situation. His father always sides with her but his mother doesn't and his brother can't stand her either. All of his friends including myself and his brother believe that she only married him so she could get her citizenship and bring her parents to the United States. I sure hope this is not true but I am afraid his marriage will end bad one day and I feel sorry for him because he is a really good guy.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:31 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Neighbor of mine. Typical up and coming yuppies. Overbought and financial troubles galore. Ugly divorce

Old 08-31-2013, 11:23 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Although I am a little dissapointed and the small number of responses to my thread I really appreciate those of you that have participated and the replies have been great so I will conttibute some more to see if we can keep this thread alive. I have another friend who married a girl from Vietnam after knowing her for only two weeks and things went well for a few months and then it started to get bad and it had been a constant rollercoaster ever since. They are ok for a few days and then it's back to fighting. She treats him like crap and he still stays with her. The sad part is that his own family is split when it comes to their situation. His father always sides with her but his mother doesn't and his brother can't stand her either. All of his friends including myself and his brother believe that she only married him so she could get her citizenship and bring her parents to the United States. I sure hope this is not true but I am afraid his marriage will end bad one day and I feel sorry for him because he is a really good guy.
sigh.. I hope things work out for your friend. He sounds like a good guy.

I know for a fact that my brother in law doesn't love my sister. He perhaps never did. My sister has low self esteem and she has been battling with depression on and off for three years due to her unsuccessful marriage. She still stays with him because she is so afraid of starting over. Plus, they have two beautiful boys together.

People sometimes are afraid of changing. They believe abusive relationships are what they deserve. My sister sure takes all of us (my poor brothers, my poor parents and poor me) for granted because she knows we will always be there for her. She treats her husband like a King. Although I cannot stand that clown and want absolutely nothing to do with him, I have to choose my words very carefully in front him because I don't want to upset my sister even more.

It is a total disaster. Unless your friend realize this is a toxic relationship, he will always hold on to his relationship because he believes that is the best he can get.

I wish your friend the best. He sounds like a really good person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships