Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,431 times

Advertisements

I'm a man and I've been asked out before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 11:03 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I'm going to stick to my guns and continue to say that if I've never seen something like this happen with my own 2 eyes, I can't say that this is a real thing, but I will say that it could happen because the world is made of lots of people.
I think it's odd that you think that approaches don't happen because you don't see it. Most people don't want an public audience for such things, and plenty of people get asked out over the phone or text or email.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:06 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think it's odd that you think that approaches don't happen because you don't see it. Most people don't want an public audience for such things, and plenty of people get asked out over the phone or text or email.
And that's OK. I don't mind if people think me as odd or otherwise.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,464 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting to see a woman approach a man in public. It doesn't have to be me, it just has to happen.

I'm out in public places often enough, so it shouldn't be out of the norm, but I've yet to see it happen. Until I do, I'm calling it hogwash.
I somehow think that you believe that guys seek for sponsor-seekers (gold diggers) and not the vice versa. Let me tell you this, there are plenty of women who happen to screen around the place for either wealthy heirs or wealthy self-made folks and get involved with them and, believe it or not, they also use the "numbers game" just like guys who get lots of rejections will use. One out of 10 may give her a pass, but she learns with time to recognize who's more likely to go for it.
Those women may represent huge minority, but yes, they are the ones generally making the approach or initiating it in various ways to make it happen, and not the vice versa.

There are also regular women who will ask you, but they happen to do it in a very awkward way. One general notion is that the whole deal will be very awkward and it's generally going to be in the wrong moment, thus it's likely going to be doomed from the very start.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle
Quote:
And that's OK. I don't mind if people think me as odd or otherwise.
She didn't call you odd and what she is saying is definitely true.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:21 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Quote:
as stated in other threads by other women, they can't deal with the amount of rejection that comes with approaching.
there's the simple answer^

I'm sure a very minute amount women do, but its just not heard of.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:38 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
there's the simple answer^

I'm sure a very minute amount women do, but its just not heard of.
There's a very select few who will do it.

But there's one poster who just said she did it today, which gives me some ray of hope that I might see it happen to me one day or to someone I might see when I'm out, so my fingers are crossed lol.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:41 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
My very simple answer: Because I don't have to.
This is ultimately the answer. Men have only themselves to blame for this. Until men quit asking them out, women have no need to.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:52 AM

213 posts, read 377,016 times
When my husband and I met 28 years ago, we were at a bar talking in a group of people. We didn't know each other but we just started talking to each other because we both were kind of left out of the main conversation. We just kept talking for a couple of hours and finally I just asked him if he wanted my phone number.

I don't think he would have asked me for my number because he was really shy back then. He was probably just hoping that he would see me again at the same bar.

Don't tell me that women don't initiate!

Generally, I believe that men were created to hunt and women were created to be the hunted. Is, was and always shall be.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:53 AM

947 posts, read 1,187,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Because there's no impetus for them to do so? If I was a woman, why would I risk the embarrassment and blow to self esteem that comes from being rejected when I can just wait for a man to approach?
Because you can have the freedom to go after exactly who meets your standards instead of complaining about the terrible options that were handed to you. Being around the company you desire is way better than being around someone not worth your time.

And also, waiting around forever and not getting any accpectable offers gets frustrating after awhile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships