Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

My best friend from high school has been married 3 years and they have a 2 yr old son together. He and I are both 24.

My high school crush is 21, & she recently got married. My sister is 21 & is engaged to be married. Another friend of mine out west is 23, married, & he and his wife just had a son last week, and another is 24 and is married with two kids....

My mom as well as other family and friends have gone "why can't you find a nice girl?" And my mom is already excited about grandchildren because my sister is now engaged. And yet hear I am, turning 24 in two months, no prospective dates, no girls interested in me, and that's not changing anytime soon.

I know as I get older the odds are going to be stacked against me more and more, & I've heard that if you cannot get your love life together by age 26, it's nearly impossible afterwards

I just feel like everybody around me in their 20s is getting married, having kids, & so in love and that I'm going to get left behind

Anybody else in that situation now or were you in that situation in the past
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
My response; why can't you mind your g&$d&@# business? I will not tolerate that line of questioning from anyone.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:28 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,441 times
dude, do you really live in orlando???

thought you were from arkansas or west
virginia at first.

brush this off, you have at least a decade to find a solution. no rush.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
What difference does it make that I live in Orlando? It's a city where most women has their first child before age 20

Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 AM

529 posts, read 702,259 times
I don't get any external pressure, but I make a lot of internal pressure for myself. I think the types of responses you get on here will not necessarily help you feel better because it's a lot of well-intentioned pep-talk like:

"Just go on out there and seize the day!" or
"You're still young!" or
"You can find love at any age (followed by example of person in their 70s finding someone)!"

All of which is true and none of which I disagree with. However, that kind of "rah rah" talk doesn't really help you feel any better. Realistically speaking, at your age, you're definitely not correct because I just saw a story on my local news last week that said that the average age for marriage in America is now in the upper-20s. So clearly not everyone is married a few years out of college. That being said, if everyone around you is, then no amount of that kind of talk will make you run around skipping in the park.

Similarly, you view everyone as happily married and having wonderful, romantic evenings with each other. Realistically, you know in your head that's not true, too. I've seen lots of men and women divorced by your age, which I'm sure you don't want. Other people may be married but not in a "love-filled" marriage by any means. But again, that's irrelevant because this isn't about your brain comprehending it.

I say that because I'm quite a bit older than you and in your situation and I agree. I mean, I "get" all of those things, but it doesn't make me feel any better or stop irrationally thinking everyone in the world is in some sort of Disney film that I was left out of. It may make you feel better to know that I'm in the same boat (or you may be laughing uproariously in front of your computer and saying "ha ha ha, at least I'm not THAT loser!!").

Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 AM

31,052 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
dude, do you really live in orlando???

thought you were from arkansas or west
virginia at first.

brush this off, you have at least a decade to find a solution. no rush.
Thats what I was thinking.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM

242 posts, read 351,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
My best friend from high school has been married 3 years and they have a 2 yr old son together. He and I are both 24.

My high school crush is 21, & she recently got married. My sister is 21 & is engaged to be married. Another friend of mine out west is 23, married, & he and his wife just had a son last week, and another is 24 and is married with two kids....

My mom as well as other family and friends have gone "why can't you find a nice girl?" And my mom is already excited about grandchildren because my sister is now engaged. And yet hear I am, turning 24 in two months, no prospective dates, no girls interested in me, and that's not changing anytime soon.

I know as I get older the odds are going to be stacked against me more and more, & I've heard that if you cannot get your love life together by age 26, it's nearly impossible afterwards

I just feel like everybody around me in their 20s is getting married, having kids, & so in love and that I'm going to get left behind

Anybody else in that situation now or were you in that situation in the past
Regarding the bolded section above, I don't agree with that at all. You need to do what's right for you and not worry about what everyone else thinks. If you're not ready at this point in time, you need to tell your family/friends to back off with the comments, and work on getting your act together. People mature at different times and what's right for your sister and your friend doesn't sound remotely like it's right for you now. I don't think there's any shame in that, so work on being comfortable and confident with yourself and I'm guessing the ladies will see that confidence and respond positively to it.

191 posts, read 144,986 times
too early. enjoy your life. may be between 30 and 40. child(ren) means responsibility and time dedication. go for it when you will be ready to sacrifice part of your life.

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
What difference does it make that I live in Orlando? It's a city where most women has their first child before age 20
That has a lot more to do with socio-economics than with location. Educated, professional women (even in Orlando) are generally not having children before age 20.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,441 times
orlando is a happening city, not back woods hill country. and my guess is you are either mistaken about very young moms or do not venture outside your trailer park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships