Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:29 AM

624 posts, read 939,211 times

Advertisements

The other day a friend of mine bumped into a girl he knew in college. She seemed very interested in him then, but he is a devout Jew and she was not Jewish or interested in becoming so. They were friends through graduation, and having seen her again, he now wishes he had pursued a relationship when he had the chance (they are both married now).

That got me thinking about a suitor I rebuffed in high school. He was a very attractive Vietnamese immigrant who did not speak English. He was in the ESL program at school, but we shared a gym class two years in a row. Another Vietnamese boy who did speak English told me this other boy really wanted to take me to a dance, and I declined. He seemed like a sweet, gentle kid, but I was put off by the language barrier and concerns about his family and both of our friends. I have often thought in hindsight that I made a mistake by not giving him a chance. It would have been a fascinating journey, maybe even the love of my life for all I know.

Have you ever passed up a potential relationship? Why? Regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Yep. Not the right time. Yes and no. He's married and unhappy.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
I don't know if I ever had the opportunity for relationships, but I regret that I didn't try. I always assumed that nobody would ever want to be in a relationship with me, so I never even thought about the possibility. I regret that I may have been wrong.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:46 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Yep just the wrong time and my life was in a mess at the time and I was going through alot of crap .

Old 10-13-2013, 01:46 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times
I'm hoping someone on these very message boards regrets not pursuing one with me. Her reason was ridiculous.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:56 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,990,050 times
I made the wrong decision on who to build a relationship with.

That's about all I got though.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:33 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
Do I wonder "what if..."? Yes. Maybe I could be happily engaged/married if I'd made a different choice. Who knows.

Do I regret? No. Regret will not bring me any closer to what I want.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM

9,071 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
Have you ever passed up a potential relationship? Why? Regrets?
Yes, when I was living in Massachusetts I sunk into an anti-social rut. I don't really know how or why that happened but during that time frame I caught the attention of a pretty but fat woman on the train to and from Boston. I did not view her weight as a negative. She tried to get my attention for quite while even losing weight but I was just in too much of a weird, depressing funk to pursue.

Since moving to NH eighteen months ago that anti-social funk has lifted. Once again I don't know how or why my attitude changed. Under most circumstances moving to a new place does not alone miraculously heal psychological issues. That is a topic for the psych forum.

I regretted not pursuing the train woman. Recalling how I screwed up that whole situation, I recently forced myself to ask out a woman I was interested in at work who was being laid off. I just could not tolerate more what ifs and second guessing yet again. It felt very good to get the definitive answer and it has been a bit of a watershed moment for me.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:58 PM
LW4

124 posts, read 156,741 times
I lost a lot fulfilling an oath and a obligation...

It's gone but the "things" that remain are priceless.

Enough other douches get jealous very easily to prove it's "street value".

No matter how rich or good looking some other dude is...I can make 'em all ***t their pants when I enter a room.

Just had it happen this weekend as the nearest example.

My "hat" was the object of interest.......

Old 10-13-2013, 05:00 PM

624 posts, read 939,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Yes, when I was living in Massachusetts I sunk into an anti-social rut. I don't really know how or why that happened but during that time frame I caught the attention of a pretty but fat woman on the train to and from Boston. I did not view her weight as a negative. She tried to get my attention for quite while even losing weight but I was just in too much of a weird, depressing funk to pursue.

Since moving to NH eighteen months ago that anti-social funk has lifted. Once again I don't know how or why my attitude changed. Under most circumstances moving to a new place does not alone miraculously heal psychological issues. That is a topic for the psych forum.

I regretted not pursuing the train woman. Recalling how I screwed up that whole situation, I recently forced myself to ask out a woman I was interested in at work who was being laid off. I just could not tolerate more what ifs and second guessing yet again. It felt very good to get the definitive answer and it has been a bit of a watershed moment for me.
Sooooooo...you're killing me! What happened?

A woman on a train. Pretty mundane in reality, but it sounds romantic. I met my current boyfriend of 3 years by chance, when we were both traveling. He was sitting outside his hotel having a cigarette, waiting for a cab. As I walked by, just taking in the area after an interview, a guy across the street gave somebody the finger and yelled, in a very comical way. That drew both of our attention, and made us both laugh. I stopped for a minute to see who the guy might have been yelling to, and my future boyfriend said to me, laughing, "People don't know how to behave anymore. I've seen some really funny s*** in this town." I just said, "Yeah, tell me about it"...the rhetorical way, you know what I mean. But he said, "Don't mind if I do." He told me a couple of stories and invited me into his hotel for coffee, blowing off his cab. An hour and a half later he really had to leave, but we exchanged contact info. I didn't think I'd hear from him and more or less forgot about it, but he called a week later after he got back home and we've been dating ever since.

I almost kept walking that day. Glad I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships