Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,425,681 times

Advertisements

So, lets say you're a girl who recently developed major trust issues when it comes to dating/getting to know a guy. And then this guy comes along who says he understands the trust issues, has some himself, but wants to give a "relationship" (very loose term, there) a go. The girl makes it explicitly clear that she's not going to be giving him anything physical, but would like to get to know him, because he seems like a nice, genuine guy. What's in it for the guy? The girl has issues that are going to take a LONG time to overcome, and he knows he's not gonna be getting any, so why does he continue to talk to her? Is he being real or just leading her on in hopes he can change her mind about certain things...

Yes, this is online. No, she's not looking for anything serious. I mean, it is ONLINE, after all. No trust can be built until you meet. I'm just asking in general here...what makes a guy want to persue a girl like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,031,437 times
The only thing I can tell you is to not make any expectations so if it all falls out, you won't get disappointed.

Start a friendship BUT only if you genuinely want to be friends - not if you only want to get her in bed.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
IMO doing the "let's be friends, maybe it'll grow into something more" thing usually doesn't work out at all.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:34 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
No.

No...it won't work.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,677,099 times
"What's in it for the guy?"

Maybe this is just a really nice guy who genuinely wants to befriend this girl.
It could turn out to be a nice, mutually beneficial, arrangement as long as both people are on the same page. Or perhaps the guy likes a challenge.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
First of all, I can't even imagine why you would discuss "trust" issues so early on in a relationship. You just pegged yourself as high drama, high maintenance.

If anyone started unloading that kind of heavy info on me in the first few dates, I'd be outa there.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:11 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Never know until you try. All he can do is runaway, right? BUT, if he already knows upfront, that he`s not gonna be getting anything, then...I say, continue an online friendship. Maybe it could lead up to a phone call.
I know of alot of relationships that started out as just friends, and now they are happily married. (shrugs.) Worth a shot!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:23 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,941,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
First of all, I can't even imagine why you would discuss "trust" issues so early on in a relationship. You just pegged yourself as high drama, high maintenance.

If anyone started unloading that kind of heavy info on me in the first few dates, I'd be outa there.
They both have trust issues so in this case, the feeling is mutual. They're both comfortable discussing this so I don't think it's making a negative impact on either one. It's one thing if only one person had trust issues and the other did not. Then I would probably think it's odd that the non-trust issue person would stick around in a relationship like that.

That being said, I think the OP should set some 'rules' or at least certain boundaries that you and your new friend can agree to. Since you both have trust issues, I think you both should come up with rules regarding how far you want to take the relationship, what things can be discussed, etc. I think your relationship may work but if you both can't let go of the past, then nothing can help you.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Have they exchanged pictures of each other yet? Maybe the person with trust issues is really beautiful, so it's worth it for the other person to hang around as a friend for a while. Especially if she is prettier than any other single girl he currently knows.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
if you are dating online you have no trust issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships