Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:15 AM

448 posts, read 764,430 times

Advertisements

I'm young and I've always thought women liked "rugged" men that have a wide stance, broad shoulders, wear jeans + leather jacket, and have stubble. I've assumed that women like men to be manly, and that's why they date us. I'm not saying I use that as an excuse to be dirty, obviously women don't like dirty/trashy guys. In my experience women use the way a man looks to make judgments on his personality and how attractive he is as well so I do think this is rather important.

Girls I've dated have liked it, but then I can't say they weren't lying to be agreeable or I only attracted the women who are into that look.

So is a little bit of stubble and "ruggedness" a good thing or is it generally seen as a negative. I'm talking first sight here. What really gets women excited?

Last edited by InternetTroll; 10-13-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:18 AM

386 posts, read 668,367 times
I'm clean shaven and get all the hunnies.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:20 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
This forum never ceases to perplex me.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
This forum never ceases to perplex me.
How is that? This is a legitimate question. I'd rather know this than be ignorant on the topic.

Don't take this as offensive but I'm going to take a guess and say you want to tell me all women are different. Which is true. That said there are a lot of things that western women can agree on and I'm wondering if this is one of those things.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTroll View Post
How is that? This is a legitimate question. I'd rather know this than be ignorant on the topic.

Don't take this as offensive but I'm going to take a guess and say you want to tell me all women are different. Which is true. That said there are a lot of things that western women can agree on and I'm wondering if this is one of those things.
No, it was mostly the bolded that perplexed me (which is off topic, hence why I didn't elaborate). I wonder why you thought that and what it has to do with the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTroll View Post
I'm young and I've always thought women liked "rugged" men that have a wide stance, broad shoulders, wear jeans + leather jacket, and have stubble. I've assumed that women like men to be manly, and that's why they date us (we all know if they just wanted sex they wouldn't need a relationship). I'm not saying I use that as an excuse to be dirty, obviously women don't like dirty/trashy guys.
And for the record, I haven't answered because I'm not totally sure what rugged looks like to you. It seems like rugged = a little stuble to you and that's it.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
No, it was mostly the bolded that perplexed me (which is off topic, hence why I didn't elaborate). I wonder why you thought that and what it has to do with the topic.

And for the record, I haven't answered because I'm not totally sure what rugged looks like to you. It seems like rugged = a little stuble to you and that's it.
Oh that bit. I wanted to show my thought process and that women seem to be more than just "turned on" by what they like in guys and make judgement about a guys personality based on it. I could have said that better. How about we replace that with "In my experience women use the way a man looks to make judgments on his personality and how attractive he is". I'd say women decide if they want to date a guy based on the conclusions they jump to based on his looks and if she's wrong its going to be an uphill battle showing her otherwise. I could be totally wrong on that as well.

By rugged I mean looking manly, versus being a pretty boy. I can elaborate if you want. I mean things like stubble, jeans, utilitarian shoes, white tee shirt or jacket, shortish hair, broad shoulders, wide stance, a firm handshake. You know the stereotype. The kind of person that looks like Jason Statham but isn't balding. The opposite of the guy who wears bright colors, a scarf, doesn't look you in the eye, slouches, and uses lots of hair care products (greasers are exempt).

In short I want to know if I look like a tool or something. Maybe the way I dress says things about me I don't intend it to.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:56 AM

Oh. I like rugged.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:03 AM

624 posts, read 939,801 times
Since "rugged" can mean different things to different people and occurs on a spectrum, I'll just say this:

I like traditionally masculine-looking men. They don't have to wear stubble or facial hair and I'm not hung up on a particular body type. Masculine features are appealing, though: strong nose and chin, hair not over-coiffured, strong hands, traditional male dress, voice in a fairly low register. There are personality traits associated with my perception of masculinity, too. Most of the qualities that seem "masculine" to me aren't things you can manipulate. They are inherent/fixed. That includes natural dress sense. I can tell when a guy is effectively wearing a "costume" for others' benefit.

Perhaps the most appealing masculine quality is when a man is just being himself, following his own natural path and not *trying* to look like anything.

My boyfriend of 3 years is one of two people I've dated who have been closest to my ideal. He is older than me, which really has nothing to do with this except that I think men of older generations are generally pretty good at being and looking like who they are. He has facial features that most would definitely call rugged. He earned the lines on his face, and he doesn't just *look* like a guy who has worked hard and played hard, he *is* one of those people. If you are not, stubble and a leather jacket aren't going to fool any woman who is looking for a "rugged" kind of guy.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
Since "rugged" can mean different things to different people and occurs on a spectrum, I'll just say this:

I like traditionally masculine-looking men. They don't have to wear stubble or facial hair and I'm not hung up on a particular body type. Masculine features are appealing, though: strong nose and chin, hair not over-coiffured, strong hands, traditional male dress, voice in a fairly low register. There are personality traits associated with my perception of masculinity, too. Most of the qualities that seem "masculine" to me aren't things you can manipulate. They are inherent/fixed. That includes natural dress sense. I can tell when a guy is effectively wearing a "costume" for others' benefit.

Perhaps the most appealing masculine quality is when a man is just being himself, following his own natural path and not *trying* to look like anything.

My boyfriend of 3 years is one of two people I've dated who have been closest to my ideal. He is older than me, which really has nothing to do with this except that I think men of older generations are generally pretty good at being and looking like who they are. He has facial features that most would definitely call rugged. He earned the lines on his face, and he doesn't just *look* like a guy who has worked hard and played hard, he *is* one of those people. If you are not, stubble and a leather jacket aren't going to fool any woman who is looking for a "rugged" kind of guy.
Interesting and good to know. I would say I dress the way I do because I do like it and I think it fits me. Without going into a ton of detail I get along with my father more than I get along with a lot of the "cool" people my age and I do dress a lot like him. So that makes sense. I just see a lot of people my age that adopt whatever the current style is and then go out and act like a frat boy and get girls anyway.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:23 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
Some do... id say the look that attracts the broadest spectrum is clean cut pretty boys..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships