Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:17 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,435 times

Advertisements

Older folks aren't burdened with forging their way through life, trying to build a career, or raise children, or any of the myriad of events that assault our body, and soul in our younger years. We have that all behind us, and can truly embrace life. To put it bluntly, we have " Been there, done that."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Straight forward question. I ask this because, growing up I was always called the "ugly boy" or the guy that girls didn't want to be around. In truth, I probably was not ugly, just "not that cute." This stigma persisted throughout my teenage years and well into my 20's. I would go to parties and other gatherings and of course always be ignored by the opposite sex when making a joke or having a polite conversation. Now into my late 20's, my so called "rejection rate" is quite low, and I have noticed women a lot more receptive to my advances and more often than not enjoying my company. Looking in the mirror, it is nice to know that I have aged gracefully and have gotten better looking as the years have gone by. Is there some kind of science behind this logic. I've often noticed that some of the guys who were often ignored throughout High School and College, tend to really make up for lost time in their late 20's and 30's.

Any thoughts?
Why on earth would you think that the teen years are when a person is most attractive?

Old 10-23-2013, 04:24 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,196 times
Quote:
Straight forward question. I ask this because, growing up I was always called the "ugly boy" or the guy that girls didn't want to be around. In truth, I probably was not ugly, just "not that cute." This stigma persisted throughout my teenage years and well into my 20's. I would go to parties and other gatherings and of course always be ignored by the opposite sex when making a joke or having a polite conversation. Now into my late 20's, my so called "rejection rate" is quite low, and I have noticed women a lot more receptive to my advances and more often than not enjoying my company. Looking in the mirror, it is nice to know that I have aged gracefully and have gotten better looking as the years have gone by. Is there some kind of science behind this logic. I've often noticed that some of the guys who were often ignored throughout High School and College, tend to really make up for lost time in their late 20's and 30's.

Any thoughts?
I'm 48, so I've seen a lot of what you're talking about go on. It's most noticeable in actors and actresses because of their exposure over a lengthy career. I feel that young people with boyish/girlish faces are the most attractive when they're youthful while the men/women with adult faces don't appear as attractive. As age takes away the youthful glow, people with boyish/girlish faces don't age well, while those who had manly/womanly features seem to grow into their looks.

For example,

George Clooney and Pierce Brosnan weren't very attractive in their youth. While not unattractive, they just looked like awkward men while in their 20s because their chiseled distinctly masculine facial features didn't suit the youthful look of their age. Once they hit their middle 30s, their "manly" features seemed to come out and age complimented their look. Brad Pitt and Matt Damon both have boyish facial features, so when they were young their boyish looks were complimented by their age. However, as they approached their middle 40s, their boyish features didn't mix well with the aging process, and as a result, I feel that their physical attractiveness has suffered greatly. If either Pitt or Damon had balded young, it would have ruined their boyish appearance.

Those are my opinions, yours may vary.

Cheers and thanks for reading,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 10-23-2013 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here...

Old 10-23-2013, 04:27 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Why do some men (and women) look better with age?
Because what you personally and subjectively think of as "Good looking" is a continuum that exists in your mind.

And as people age their appearance changes.

Therefore "some" men (and women) will move one way on that continuum while "some" other will move another way.

I am not seeing any great mystery in this - or perhaps the force of your question is being lost somewhere?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 AM

11,797 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I'm 48, so I've seen a lot of what you're talking about go on. It's most noticeable in actors and actresses because of their exposure over a lengthy career. I feel that young people with boyish/girlish faces are the most attractive when they're youthful while the men/women with adult faces don't appear as attractive. As age takes away the youthful glow, people with boyish/girlish faces don't age well, while those who had manly/womanly features seem to grow into their looks.

For example,

George Clooney and Pierce Brosnan weren't very attractive in their youth. While not unattractive, they just looked like awkward men while in their 20s because their chiseled distinctly masculine facial features didn't suit the youthful look of their age. Once they hit their middle 30s, their "manly" features seemed to come out and age complimented their look. Brad Pitt and Matt Damon both have boyish facial features, so when they were young their boyish looks were complimented by their age. However, as they approached their middle 40s, their boyish features didn't mix well with the aging process, and as a result, I feel that their physical attractiveness has suffered greatly. If either Pitt or Damon had balded young, it would have ruined their boyish appearance.

Those are my opinions, yours may vary.

Cheers and thanks for reading,
bolillo
Interesting perspective! I definitely agree on George Clooney. I think he is so handsome and distinguished looking now, but back in the Facts of Life and Roseanne days he was just dorky looking. Must've been that curly mop of hair he had.

I think some of the difference is comparing boys and girls to men and women. In my limited experience, it seems that people who were not so great looking as teens blossomed in their 20s/30s and many of those who were cute/attractive as teens went the other way as they aged. Of course that's not an absolute, but if Facebook is any indication, I'm amazed at how many times my theory has played out for many of my peers.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
I fit this model. I wasn't really paid attention to in my teens. I was a bit overweight and dorky. Now, I'm in decent shape and have "grown" into my weight, if you will. Also, I still have hair and nice skin, and a nice smile.

Now, I hold it against women for ignoring me and use them for what I need, while earning a decent living and staying single. Maybe I'll grow up in my 40s and settle down at that point.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I fit this model. I wasn't really paid attention to in my teens. I was a bit overweight and dorky. Now, I'm in decent shape and have "grown" into my weight, if you will. Also, I still have hair and nice skin, and a nice smile.

Now, I hold it against women for ignoring me and use them for what I need, while earning a decent living and staying single. Maybe I'll grow up in my 40s and settle down at that point.
Huh? So you're punishing all women for those girls that didn't find you attractive when you were in a dorky teenage stage? WTF?

Old 10-23-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Huh? So you're punishing all women for those girls that didn't find you attractive when you were in a dorky teenage stage? WTF?
Yes, because they are attractive and most likely treated all those dorky kids the same as me.

Now, they are divorced and desperate. Me... I'm never married and no kids.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Yes, because they are attractive and most likely treated all those dorky kids the same as me.

Now, they are divorced and desperate. Me... I'm never married and no kids.
"most likely treated"
"they are divorced and desperate"

Your assumptions are ridiculous and your bitterness is showing. It definitely makes sense to punish grown women and treat them poorly because teenage girls in your high school didn't find your self-admitted weight issues and dorkiness attractive.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
"most likely treated"
"they are divorced and desperate"

Your assumptions are ridiculous and your bitterness is showing. It definitely makes sense to punish grown women and treat them poorly because teenage girls in your high school didn't find your self-admitted weight issues and dorkiness attractive.
Are you an adult women that has been in the situation I am advocating, Liberty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships