Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Yes.

But at that age, a lot of the top men (in society's view) will have been taken. Namely guys who are handsome and successful.

So, I have seen some women make a concession where they probably wouldn't have earlier.

But the range varies by woman and area.

I agree, with a heavy emphasis on region. Lots of the people that are going to be most successful (in society's views) aren't done, or are just finishing their JD, MBA, Ph.D., etc in their late 20s or early 30s. But yeah, regionality plays a lot into this, dating in Wisconsin or Vermont was completely different than San Francisco or Boston. Not even close to the same experience as far as expectations and experiences for the age bracket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:35 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I agree, with a heavy emphasis on region. Lots of the people that are going to be most successful (in society's views) aren't done, or are just finishing their JD, MBA, Ph.D., etc in their late 20s or early 30s. But yeah, rationality plays a lot into this, dating in Wisconsin or Vermont was completely different than San Francisco or Boston. Not even close to the same experience as far as expectations and experiences for the age bracket.
I lived in NYC - many people are single in their 30's. I was actually one of the first of my friends to get married and I was 28. My husband's friends at that time were all from the South - and they all got married right out of college.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times

Last edited by findly185; 10-17-2013 at 09:54 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
what's the relevance of womens' personal income in this discussion?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
I would say yes. Older women seem to realize you sort of have to compromise or at least practice the 80/20 rule, dont throw someone out just b/c you dislike 20% of the relationship or thigns about them when 80% of them is great.

also, most younger guys in that age range these days still live with parents but work so have disposal income to waste on going to bars, eating out, etc.

also younger people tend to be more self absorbed, etc

Old 10-17-2013, 09:53 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
what's the relevance of womens' personal income in this discussion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeViolationMcEnroe View Post
Same expectations as in college (wants you to be tall, handsome and socially adept), except now they also expects you to have your own car, pay for their meals, etc.
Money and education were both mentioned by OP.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upndown View Post
Yes, because they're the most desired age. Once they get older, their standards quickly get re-adjusted. Not because they "get more mature." Because reality sets in.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
In the last few seconds that I spent thinking about this - I really think that location has a lot to do with how people feel about this. The wife of one of my husband's friends told me once that she was lucky enough to meet her husband in her freshman year of college. They are from the south. I kind of laughed and said that I was glad that I didn't meet my husband during college because we probably wouldn't have ended up together. People on here always like to talk about women's "value" and how it plummets after a set age. I don't agree. I would say that, in different regions, the pressure to settle down happens at different ages. In the south - people are often looking for their future spouse in college. In NYC, for instance, a lot of people don't think about getting serious about settling down until their 30's. To be honest, I don't see this having anything to do with a woman's value or lowered or raised expectations. I see this as having to do with her mindset. And I would say that my girlfriends tolerated a lot less crap from guys when they were in their late 20's and early 30's than they did in their early 20's. Some of you think that women somehow because less valuable after 25 or so - and I guess the way I see it is that a lot of women don't realize their own worth until after 25. Some people like to measure a person's worth by their looks. I think when you get older - you realize that your worth as a person is far more than your outward appearance.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:05 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,561 times
To whomever posted the income charts:

That is mean income and is never useful in separating income in something so large as groups of men and women.

I'm interested to see the median.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:06 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
IMO, bump it up a bit. here's the pattern i see:

20 - 26 is usually still post-college mentality, not ready to settle down, OK with having casual sex with a loser if he looks good

26 - 29 women seem to go through this period of dramatically raised expectations, oftentimes becoming more prudish

30+ if they are unmarried, the expectations begin a downward slide
By the time their 35 and that biological clock is ticking and they're desperate, now its they're just looking for a "nice guy". The "list" goes out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships