Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:30 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
How am I judging anyone harshly? I'm simply stating a fact - we all have control over our own lives. If you don't want to change anything - then nothing will change.

I'm not sure what you are looking for. I don't actually know you so I'm not sure how I can be more specific. You have said that you've never tried - and I'm telling you that if you never try, you'll never get anywhere. What specifics are you looking for?

You can justify anything you want to - but it's not going to change anything. And the signs you are referring to don't seem to be clear.

Here's the thing. I talk to people. Yes, I'm married so I'm not looking for anything - but I've always talked to people. I'll talk to people in line, I'll talk to people around me, if I feel like saying something - I will. And most of the time - people are very friendly and a nice conversation will ensue. Now - if I was single, perhaps something would come out of one of these conversations. Maybe not. But at least it would have been a possibility.
no ! , your stating opinions and I don't fully accept that we all have control over our lives , especially not for the early crucial years , the years which devastating experiences often cement our personalities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Its quite possible that a man could go through life believing that women are not interested in him. I know several men who have had just this experience. Women expect men to pursue, to be the object of love and affection. If these men do not put themselves in a servant mode, that is to pursue, to ask them out, entertain them with dinner, movies, drinks etc., then in most cases, women will not pursue them. Some men also have this idea because they tried the traditional methods of obtaining female companionship and these attempts failed so they give up. As to what can change the man's mind, I have no idea. There are many men in the world, like the character in the "40 year old virgin." These are no necessarily man/child characters. They just simply do not pursue women, but live their lives pursuing their interests as a single man and are content with that and happy with their choice.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
I find the signals extremely clear especially since they have nasty looks on their faces when they turn away. I have seen this many times. Why would I approach or start a conversation when clearly women do not want me too.
Here's some practical advice. Approach this problem the way you would getting feedback on a job interview. Go to your closest woman friend and confide in her until you get some real truthful answers- not things said to keep from hurting your feelings....

When an appropriate moment comes up, tell your friend you'd like to have a girlfriend but feel that you may turn women off for some reason. Keep after her until she tells you what the issue might be. Believe me, she'll know. Be prepared for the feedback, but keep in mind that it could be something very correctible.

Some guys are pretty clueless about clothes and hygiene issues for example. The other thing they are often clueless about is what women might be approachable by them. They all go for the head cheerleader with the artificially enhanced bust instead of the quiet sweet girl with glasses, etc.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:00 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,503 times
Default Ask your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Here's some practical advice. Approach this problem the way you would getting feedback on a job interview. Go to your closest woman friend and confide in her until you get some real truthful answers- not things said to keep from hurting your feelings....

When an appropriate moment comes up, tell your friend you'd like to have a girlfriend but feel that you may turn women off for some reason. Keep after her until she tells you what the issue might be. Believe me, she'll know. Be prepared for the feedback, but keep in mind that it could be something very correctible.

Some guys are pretty clueless about clothes and hygiene issues for example. The other thing they are often clueless about is what women might be approachable by them. They all go for the head cheerleader with the artificially enhanced bust instead of the quiet sweet girl with glasses, etc.
You took the words right out of my mouth! jma, have you talked to your woman friends about this?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:56 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
no ! , your stating opinions and I don't fully accept that we all have control over our lives , especially not for the early crucial years , the years which devastating experiences often cement our personalities
Honestly, posts like this just make me sad. Look - we only have one life to live. If you want to spend it blaming others for your lot in life - that's fine - but where is it getting you? Nobody's personality is so cemented that it is going to prevent them from being happy. As my husband says, you can't change what happens to you but you can change how you feel about it. There are people that have real crises that they have overcome. I'm sorry - but never putting yourself out there in the dating world and therefore never dating is not one of those major crises.

I'm not saying that you can control every event in your life - but you can control how you deal with these events. And you can control your attitude.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:20 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:

The all got married and moved away. The last one about 10 years ago. I have neither seen nor spoken to any of them since their marriages. Not for any bad reason only I deemed it inappropriate to continue. I don't know where they are.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth! jma, have you talked to your woman friends about this?
Please see response to hollytree.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:18 AM

543 posts, read 534,205 times
Quote:

Yeah, that only works if you have female friends.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:24 AM

457 posts, read 605,044 times
I'll tell you what, for the first time in awhile, I actually received a smile from a girl I made eye contact with that wasn't in a scenario where they had to act friendly or happy. It happens, some guys just do not strike many girls' fancy, and don't receive more than a few smiles on an annual basis.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:03 AM

457 posts, read 605,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
Chances are if they are on here for advice, they don't have any close women friends they are willing to talk about their lives with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships