Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Not necessarily true. All the man has to do is sign the papers consenting to the adoption/termination of his rights. Doesn't mean he put in any more effort than signing some papers.
Darn it... don't blow my hypothetical good guy of a man out the water! lol

It's harder for a woman to judge this I think, because in most cases (unless it was a married couple) them man really doesn't have any say.

Going to the contraceptives and pregnancy topic. Look, the fact is while most contraceptives will work and most people who do get pregnant aren't using them... there is always a chance of failure. The risk might be small, but every time a fertile man and a fertile woman have sex they could conceive.

Some means are more effective than others, but no birth control is 100% effective. And I was surprised to find out (when looking for numbers) that a vasectomy still carries the risk of failure (Birth Control Chart). And also keep in mind, in some cases, you don't even know if the other person it using it right (did a woman forget a pill or did she take antibiotics (which negates the pill)? Did the man tear the condom a little in his haste to open the foil, etc).

I have to wonder, maybe women are more in tune with the whole how contraceptives work (and fail) more so than men because our OB/GYNs go over this stuff and lecture us every year when we see them and give us all sorts of warnings. Do men get lectures on this topic when they go the the doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 08:00 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
However, I've met plenty of men who, when asked if they have children, reply "Not any that I am aware of."
As a dude, I have had some male friends tell me the same thing and it's always followed by a laugh. I've assumethey mean it as a joke, in part, because it makes me feel better about them if it is an attempt at humor.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I would likely have a negative opinion of someone who freely and willingly gave up their child to someone else without good cause or reason.

Now, there may be good cause or reason and I would be open to it if there was.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:03 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Sometimes the most responsible thing to do it to give a child up for adoption. In fact, you could argue that fi someone gives a child up for adoption, it's always the most resposible thing for them to do in that case. I'd much rather find out I was given up for adoption by parents who were not ready to raise a child for any reason than to be raised by some of these idiot parents I see around.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:59 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
By request .

You are dating someone with the idea that you might marry them. She or he tells you that s/he once gave a child up for adoption. How do you feel? And is this better or worse than having an (early) abortion?
Life happens. I wouldn't feel any different one way or the other, be it adoption or abortion, other than perhaps feeling empathy for them for having to make such difficult choices in their life.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
By request .

You are dating someone with the idea that you might marry them. She or he tells you that s/he once gave a child up for adoption. How do you feel? And is this better or worse than having an (early) abortion?
I guess it would all depend on the situation as to why he/she had to make such a decision. I mean, was it because they were too young to care for a child at that time, or was it just a choice they made because they didn`t wanna be burdened or weighed down with the responsibility of raising a child?
Yes, this is definetly the BETTER choice they could have made versus killing the child, and not at least give him/her the chance to live! There are a ton of couples out there, who cannot have a child of their own, who long nothing more than to give their love to a child!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
By request .

1. You are dating someone with the idea that you might marry them. She or he tells you that s/he once gave a child up for adoption. How do you feel?

2. And is this better or worse than having an (early) abortion?
1. I wouldn't mind this at all, assuming that this adoption was done with the knowledge and consent of this child's other parent.

2. Let's see here--Killing your offspring vs. giving your offspring to another family? Definitely better.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,050 times
I would much rather find out she gave up the baby for adoption than aborted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships