Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:01 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,739 times

Advertisements

If I'm blunt, I'm a b****. If I'm passive aggressive, I'm leading them on. I think meet-ups are the worst due to extremely clingy, clueless men following me around after several attempts of politely wishing them well, but explaining I'm going to chat with the others. What's a decent but firm way to turn down a guy you have no interest in at meet-up groups, bars, ect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 12:22 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,353,392 times
Hate to break it to you, but you can't win when it comes to turning a man down. I'd say be honest, let him know in no uncertain terms that you are not interested. The guy can't do all that much to you if he is in a place where there are witnesses. Sadly, you are going to be dealing with a bunch of unstable people who will turn into destructive babies if they don't get what they want.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:31 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
It's a no win situation for you. Guys do not like rejection. It's a shame they turn into jerks towards you if you say no. I think your best option is a polite no thank you, and express your not interested. You cannot stop an individual from being a jerk, but you certainly do not want them to think your "no" is a "maybe" either. (Of course, there are individuals who won't take "no" for an answer either).

Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM

816 posts, read 1,948,277 times
Looks like you're hanging out with the wrong crowd.

I was just rejected or friendzoned two days ago when she texted me upfront. I texted back, and said "Alright, cool. I understand". Won't text her again until she text me first. That's how I am, but unfortunately, half of the guys out there will keep begging by texting more.

You just need to be upfront and say "I'm not interested and would be interested as a friend".

Old 10-18-2013, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the comments. That's what I figured - no win.

Quote:
Looks like you're hanging out with the wrong crowd.
You can say that again and AGAIN! *sighs*

Old 10-18-2013, 01:11 PM

809 posts, read 1,274,073 times
Meetup.com?

Old 10-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Meetup.com?
Yes. It's a freak show from dating to trying to make female friendships.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:13 PM

634 posts, read 709,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
If I'm blunt, I'm a b****. If I'm passive aggressive, I'm leading them on.

If you are too blunt (i.e., rude) then you are acting like a B----. And if you are passive aggressive, then you are indeed leading them on.

See, there is a thing called the "middle". You can politely say, I am not interested or no thank you. If you do this and "most of the time" the men still are not getting it, then you need to go to different places where men are men and not boys. Most of the time, a polite turn down is enough.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:14 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Just give a polite social level smile and say "No, thank you" and turn away.

Just keep repeating until the message finally gets through. You might have to change that to "No thank you. I really am not interested".

No need to be rude, but it is not a kindness to give false hope, either.

I wonder what sort of places you are hanging out at if perverts are following you around and annoying you after you have told them that you are not interested in them. You might try changing where you are going.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
See, there is a thing called the "middle". You can politely say, I am not interested or no thank you.
I have done that and sometimes that makes it worse and they become confrontational.

Quote:
I wonder what sort of places you are hanging out at if perverts are following you around and annoying you after you have told them that you are not interested in them. You might try changing where you are going.
Meet-up groups are the worst. But another time just out with my ladies, I had a drunk guy relentlessly pull me towards him. When I bluntly said, "NO! Stop touching me!" He said, "Why do you have to be such an ***h***?!" There's just no winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships