Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 PM

878 posts, read 942,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Many times, the parent takes the "la la la. I don't hear you!" attitude, or tries to enforce the "remember! I gave birth/fathered you so don't be back talking me" stance, meaning you have to get down and dirty.
My mother is dead. When informed of her death I danced around the house singing "Ding-dong..."

She was a rage addict. She hated every woman I was ever with. I had not seen her for 13 years before her death. Our last conversation went like this

TC: "I told you raging at me was not acceptable, it's a boundary and you're blowing right through it. Again."

DeadMom: "I gave you life and I can take it away!" (I was 46 at the time).

TC: "Have fun dying alone." Click.

TC: Hello, CellProvider Customer Service, I need to change my phone number RIGHT NOW!"

CPCS: "Done."

Never got a call from her again. Never missed her, not even once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
<major snippage> is this something to punish them for?
You seem to be confusing 'consequences' with 'punishment.'

If you've gone through the entire JADE (Justify Argue Defend Explain) process and the situation doesn't change, then it comes down to saying "because you are doing (insert untenable behavior), I am going to do (insert action you intend to take)." That's not punishment. In fact, it is a basic tenet of parenting which, unfortunately, sometimes has to be turned around once the child becomes an adult.

Last edited by silverwing; 10-29-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
You seem to be confusing 'consequences' with 'punishment.'

If you've gone through the entire JADE (Justify Argue Defend Explain) process and the situation doesn't change, then it comes down to saying "because you are doing (insert untenable behavior), I am going to do (insert action you intend to take)." That's not punishment. In fact, it is a basic tenant of parenting which, unfortunately, sometimes has to be turned around once the child becomes an adult.
Exactly. It's a basic tenet of ALL relationships.

Holding someone accountable for the way they treat you is not punishment. It's maturity. Also, just because someone is your parent does not make them immune to these tenets.

Adult-adult communication is a tricky balance to achieve in a parent-child relationship, but it is normal and necessary. And if someone guilt-trips you because they have a psychological issue, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they are going to change after a sit-down with you.

Sometimes we get parents who excel at unconditional love and adult communication, and sometimes we don't. All you can do is assert your boundaries, but you cannot change the way they behave and react.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships