Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:07 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,186,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I don't know about that. I was on Match.com last night lurking and the results were not encouraging. The requirements on height and ethnicity were pretty standard.

And let's face it. Race/ethnicity is looks, any way you cut it.

And these were from women in their 50s, most divorced with kids.

I think IF YOU MEET those Match.com screening requirements, THEN you are a blank slate, and then you can "give it your best shot tiger!"
OLD is not comparable to real life in this respect. You can't get to know someone by looking at their picture and their profile. At least this is my take on it. I never did OLD - so when I talk about these things - I'm talking about real life scenarios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:10 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,851,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
OLD is not comparable to real life in this respect. You can't get to know someone by looking at their picture and their profile. At least this is my take on it. I never did OLD - so when I talk about these things - I'm talking about real life scenarios.
And how is it any different?

You really think that a woman who has her requirements on Match.com meets a guy from work, or through a friend, and he's not in her ethnicity or height requirement and she's like "He's such an awesome guy I don't care."

Aha. Haha ... haha .. I say.

BTW, I've never done online either so I'm talking about real life too.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:17 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,808,617 times
Quote:

You really think that a woman who has her requirements on Match.com meets a guy from work, or through a friend, and he's not in her ethnicity or height requirement and she's like "He's such an awesome guy I don't care."

I've done both OLD and offline. Men are different online than they are in real life (and I explained how just a few posts ago)... I imagine the same is true for women too. In fact, a lot of studies show that online, people are more picky because they take a "shopping" attitude towards things.

Online Dating Encourages 'Shopping Mentality', Warn Experts

Quote:

Online dating has not only shed its stigma but could be killing the romance of dating by making singletons more selective and superficial with a 'shopping mentality' attitude.

Researchers from the University of Rochester in New York, discovered a boom in lonely-hearters taking advantage of the convenient and never-ending access to potential partners by 'shopping' around when looking at online profiles.

However, the pitfall of this dating convenience is that those who compare hundreds of possible dates, adopt a 'shopping mentality'.

These attitudes cause the online dater to become increasingly judgmental and picky, with their prime focus being exclusively on attractiveness and interests - just like they would if they were shopping for items on the web.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:

It's different because in real life you are making decisions based on WHO a person is - not just what they look like. I've dated a lot of guys that I wasn't attracted to when I first met them. It's not that I found them unattractive or repulsive - I just don't tend to think about someone like that until I get to know them a bit. And once I got to know them - I became attracted to them. Different women are attracted to different things. I like someone who I can laugh and be silly with. I also like someone who is passionate about what they do and is good at what they do. My best friend is totally gung ho on politics and debating - she's attracted to someone she can debate with and talk about the issues with. Both of us have dated guys of all different heights, races, religions, etc. One of my other friends cares way more about appearances than I do - meaning that she cares how people see her more than I do - and not just physically but success wise and such. She married someone shorter than her and balding. Honestly - I have known very few women that had physical requirements. I had one friend that was Jewish that needed to marry someone Jewish - and I believe she did. But most of my friends were/are just looking for someone that they are compatible with. Maybe some of them had physical "requirements" that they just never verbalized - but except for a couple of my friends - you couldn't tell what they were from the guys they dated.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
It's different because in real life you are making decisions based on WHO a person is - not just what they look like. I've dated a lot of guys that I wasn't attracted to when I first met them. It's not that I found them unattractive or repulsive - I just don't tend to think about someone like that until I get to know them a bit. And once I got to know them - I became attracted to them. Different women are attracted to different things. I like someone who I can laugh and be silly with. I also like someone who is passionate about what they do and is good at what they do. My best friend is totally gung ho on politics and debating - she's attracted to someone she can debate with and talk about the issues with. Both of us have dated guys of all different heights, races, religions, etc. One of my other friends cares way more about appearances than I do - meaning that she cares how people see her more than I do - and not just physically but success wise and such. She married someone shorter than her and balding. Honestly - I have known very few women that had physical requirements. I had one friend that was Jewish that needed to marry someone Jewish - and I believe she did. But most of my friends were/are just looking for someone that they are compatible with. Maybe some of them had physical "requirements" that they just never verbalized - but except for a couple of my friends - you couldn't tell what they were from the guys they dated.
So, why would somebody who is open to dating all races and heights and religions put on their online profile that they clearly only date one race and height range?

I do have a preference regarding race though it is a small one. There's no way in h@ll I'd list that on my Match.com profile unless that is the only type of woman that I would ever date.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
So, why would somebody who is open to dating all races and heights and religions put on their online profile that they clearly only date one race and height range?

I do have a preference regarding race though it is a small one. There's no way in h@ll I'd list that on my Match.com profile unless that is the only type of woman that I would ever date.
I don't really understand why you think that the people doing OLD represent all people? To be honest, I know some people who have done OLD - but most of my friends have not. And like some other people have posted - for some, OLD gives them an online shopping mindset. Basically - enter in all your ideals and we'll find you your perfect match! Sort of like WEIRD SCIENCE. I don't know all the women on dating sites who list their preferences. What I do know is the kind of guys my friends in real life have dated and the guys that I have dated.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I don't really understand why you think that the people doing OLD represent all people? To be honest, I know some people who have done OLD - but most of my friends have not. And like some other people have posted - for some, OLD gives them an online shopping mindset. Basically - enter in all your ideals and we'll find you your perfect match! Sort of like WEIRD SCIENCE. I don't know all the women on dating sites who list their preferences. What I do know is the kind of guys my friends in real life have dated and the guys that I have dated.
TBH, if I was forced to guess, I would think in general the people who do online dating are LESS shallow and more forgiving because they had to resort to doing that.

By that logic, women who never had to do OLD are probably even pickier.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
TBH, if I was forced to guess, I would think in general the people who do online dating are LESS shallow and more forgiving because they had to resort to doing that.

By that logic, women who never had to do OLD are probably even pickier.
Look - you are determined in post after post, thread after thread, to say that women only care about looks. You have admitted to being jaded and bitter. It's kind of pointless trying to convince you that there are people out there that actually look for compatibility and not just a pretty face - and that they happen to be women. I'll just say this - sometimes life has a way of showing you what you are looking for. If you are looking for reasons to be bitter - you'll probably find them.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Look - you are determined in post after post, thread after thread, to say that women only care about looks. You have admitted to being jaded and bitter. It's kind of pointless trying to convince you that there are people out there that actually look for compatibility and not just a pretty face - and that they happen to be women. I'll just say this - sometimes life has a way of showing you what you are looking for. If you are looking for reasons to be bitter - you'll probably find them.
Lol. Don't shoot the messenger.

Just telling it like it is. If you don't believe me, go on Match.com yourself and check it out.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Lol. Don't shoot the messenger.

Just telling it like it is. If you don't believe me, go on Match.com yourself and check it out.
No - you are telling it how you are choosing to see it. And once again, I'm not equating OLD with what happens in real life. I've never done online dating. I'm talking about real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships