Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:03 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Hey, Im single but I dont hate holidays, its just another day to me, a merchants holiday! If family plans something where my presence is required (figure of speech, lol) then I'll go, but am just as content taking myself to a movie or the truckstop for the all-you-can-eat buffet.
Bah, humbug. This thread is for miserable single people. no eggnog for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 06:32 PM

631 posts, read 2,445,799 times
I hated the holidays up until a few short weeks ago. I just see them as another excuse for people not to go to work and an excuse to spend more money.

This year, I'm just going with it. It seems to take more energy hating and dreading it than to just go with it. My son loves the holidays and I hate being a bah hum bug for him. So I'll cut it out for his sake. Don't want to die and have them remember me for being the one who hated the holidays.
Yesterday was actually quite nice at my home for thanksgiving. We had a nice quiet dinner, some conversation and family went home after about 3 hours.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:39 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,163 times
Talking God Bless Us Every One!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Bah, humbug. This thread is for miserable single people. no eggnog for you.
Now, now, Green I'm sure you're not all that miserable

I've been on my own for the holidays for about ....fuzzy memory....oh I guess 5 maybe 6 years (the brain refuses to pin down the exact date).

Yeah, they do act as if you MUST be hooked up with someone, anyone during the holidays and it can bring down the most optimistic of us!!

Fortunately, I have learned to focus on the things I like about the holidays.

The supposed goodwill towards all.
The classic christmas specials (Frosty, Rudolph, Charlie Brown, etc).
The lights, the bustle, the happy (though sometimes hyper) children, the EGGNOG!! (enough spiked eggnog and it all looks much better)
And let's not forget Starbucks holiday biscotti **sigh**!!

See, I feel better already Think I'll go get me some Eggnog!!

Old 11-23-2007, 06:40 PM

Actually, I lit some candles today, took a long hot bath, and am now playing Christmas music. I'm going to try and make the best out of it.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:42 PM

Eggnog (with a little rum)!! Don't forget the eggnog!!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:46 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,007 times
Nope don't hate Christmas, and I'm single.

It takes too much energy to be bitter. So anymore I try to look in the good of what the day will bring me.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
I always love the holidays. When I was single, I celebrated with all of my friends and family I understand if you suffered a loss on the holidays, that it can make it difficult to get through. The first few Christmases after my father died were difficult for my family, and then again after the death of my sister.

But that aside, we still enjoy the spirit of the holiday. Having a significant other does not change how I celebrate.

You should embrace your single lifestyle. You could volunteer at a children's hospital, and buy gifts for them, and watch how their faces brighten up on Christmas morning when "santa" came.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:28 PM

Let's try and stay on topic please. This thread is for miserable single people. Happy people have their own thread.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Ooopsy!! How's this...
http://www.affordadornments.com/media/lg155.gif (broken link)Danged happy couples..How'd you like to be "fixed"!!

Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Actually, I lit some candles today, took a long hot bath, and am now playing Christmas music. I'm going to try and make the best out of it.
I'm doing the same. I actually went out to dinner, which is such a luxurious experience. It wasn't anything fancy. My table, my command, my presence. It's so peaceful.

Thank you, GoRT. That is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships