Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
ohKAYYyy! Good to know! Ladies, we have nothing to worry about--the odds of straight men having HIV are virtually nil! You heard it first on C-D!
He's right though, unless he is having anal sex with a male or sharing needles, he is pretty safe (but not 100%)

Women aren't however, since there is no guarantee that your "straight" partner isn't on the down low or had a drug habit at one point! As the receptive partner she is at MUCH higher risk of contracting HIV through sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 12:26 PM

887 posts, read 1,100,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
How is what I said scientifically illiterate. Go look at the rates of HIV/AIDS contraction for straight non drug using males. it's almost non-existent. It would take a miracle for that straight guy to get HIV/AIDS in America especially if he is a white male.
You are looking at these stats on America but you do understand that intercourse between a man and a woman is done, for the most part, the same way all over the world.

However, if you feel your info is solid, then I say "Go get'em tiger!"

Old 12-03-2013, 12:29 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I don't really care since its almost impossible for a straight man to get HIV/AIDS from sex.
This mentality is one of my greatest fears.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This mentality is one of my greatest fears.
That "mentality" is based in science. But I guess the question is, how low is low risk? How "safe" do you need to feel from a virus that is rare in your community (white), difficult to transmit through heterosexual intercourse and treatable to the point that it cannot be detected and you cannot transmit it to others?

Heterosexual risk of HIV-1 infection per sexual-act: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies, Boily et al., The Lancet (2009) | The Center for HIV Law and Policy

Quote:
The authors found that, overall, female-to-male (.04% per act or, in theory, about 4 cases of HIV transmission per every 10,000 acts of vaginal sex with a woman who is HIV positive) and male-to-female (.08% per act or 8 cases of HIV transmission per every 10,000 acts of vaginal sex with a man who is HIV positive) transmission estimates in high-income countries show a low risk of infection even when the person with HIV is not on antiretroviral treatments.
I am speaking of course in the context of the developed world. There are lots of mitigating factors in low and middle income countries such as gender violence, poverty, TB, rampant drug use and stigma against men who have sex with men.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:48 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
If a woman treats the first date or two like an interview, I will dismiss her regardless of personality, income, status, attractiveness, etc.

Some of the following questions eliminate one from a LTR asked on 1st or 2nd dates:

Do you have an STD ?
How much is your property tax ?
How much money do you make ?

The first couple dates I use as a gage to determine if you can enjoy the company of another human being and have fun doing it.
If you treat datin like job hunting, then I will believe a romantic relationship is more of a business relationship, and I will end all business immediately.

It is possible to have sex on a first or second date, so the STD question is kinda negligible. But if we don't/aren't going to have sex, then asking such a question is a bit premature.
I barely know if I like someone on date one or two, let alone am prepared to deal with exposure to STD's.

Here's a hint: If you are goin to do the deed, carry/have your own set of condoms. A box can cost anywhere from $3-$20.

Why women don't normally have condoms on hand will forever be a mystery to me. It takes two people to have sex, but only the man is responsible for covering up ?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Why women don't normally have condoms on hand will forever be a mystery to me. It takes two people to have sex, but only the man is responsible for covering up ?
Because they don't wear them? Because we women assume men have a preference in brand and size? Are we expected to carry a full range of selection in case we get lucky?

Hope that solves your mystery.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post

Same, here, and I'm female. I actually had no idea it was uncommon for women who are sexually active to keep condoms on hand. I keep them now, and I'm in a committed, monogamous relationship/soon-to-be marriage, and we mostly rely on oral contraceptives at this stage of our relationship. But I still keep them on-hand for those times when I'm on an antibiotic that messes with the pill's effectiveness, or on the very rare occasion that I miss a pill.

Not taking responsibility for contraception/safe sex is inexcusable.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:04 PM

253 posts, read 655,036 times
Probably not on the first date? AWKWARD. Perhaps after 2-3 dates when you are more comfortable with one another? It is a question that DOES need to be asked, and not only that, would be better if both gets tested again. If they've had sex with someone after their last test.. say.. 6 months ago, that makes it obsolete.

I do agree with AverageGuy2006 on providing your own condom. JUST in case he claims to have none simply because he prefers it au natural.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:06 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Have you given any thought to getting tested?
That was a joke :-)

Old 12-03-2013, 03:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
The straight, white, male arrogance is off putting because of its blatant sexism and racism but it underscores a point. IMO the o.p. should factor racial (and gender) disparities in the risk inherent in STD contraction and also filter the responses thus far through the lens of those disparities. I don't think an AA woman entering into a dating situation should even think about leaving the house to meet a potential new partner without havining a first pass conversation about the issue, either online or over the phone.

I have to say the AA women I have met and been involved with never raised the STD issue beforehand. The white women I have known and been with all raised the issue beforehand. FWIW.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships