Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 11:04 PM

170 posts, read 373,451 times

Advertisements

Suppose that some of your college buddies are going on a weekend trip to Canada and taking dates with which they will be sharing a hotel room. If you're thinking about asking a girl if she wants to be your date, how much of a rapport should you already have with her? Note that I wouldn't be selling it as a date, but as an invitation to be my date for one occasion, similar to a high school prom, if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
So you're talking about asking a girl who is not already your gf?

Is that what the other guys are doing, or do they have gf's that they are bringing? It's a big difference.

If you bring a gf, it's a step up in commitment/seriousness.

If you invite a girl who is not your gf, she will probably assume that you ar asking to trade free food and partying for sex. She may be very insulted. Or she may take you up on the bargain.

If you are asking a girl with the hope that she will then become your gf, I think it will backfire.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
If you are friends already just ask her if she would like to go and make sure you get either separate rooms or a single room with two beds and tell her up front this is the plan.
If she wants to go she will, if she does not want to go she won't.
You should also make sure she has either an actual Passport or a Passport Card because you cannot get into or out of Canada without one or the other. Just showing your birth certificate no longer works. It is also about $20.00 to get out of Canada and back into the United States. Have the exact amount as well, they do NOT give change and it has to be US Dollars NOT Canadian Money.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

Is that what the other guys are doing, or do they have gf's that they are bringing? It's a big difference.

If you invite a girl who is not your gf, she will probably assume that you ar asking to trade free food and partying for sex. She may be very insulted. Or she may take you up on the bargain.

If you are asking a girl with the hope that she will then become your gf, I think it will backfire.
Pretty much this.^^^ OP, if you have to ask how much of a rapport is needed, it means you don't know her well enough.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:

I would be asking a girl I don't know very well. I've invited girls to this trip twice before, but that was during college and this trip was a tradition at my university, so it was viewed as a manufactured pseudo-date much like a high school prom.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Pretty much this.^^^ OP, if you have to ask how much of a rapport is needed, it means you don't know her well enough.
Sounds like good advice. Mission aborted. Not going to entertain this idea any longer.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:39 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
If you don't have a girlfriend, you probably would do better to wait until you get there and try to meet a girl who is on vacation there already.

I'm thinking that you aren't going to get a very warm reception from a woman that you are not currently dating when you ask her to leave the country with you and share a hotel room with you. Most likely, not going to be well received.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:43 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
I'd be worried that the gal would take it as a sign that you are wanting to have a serious relationship with her, and that could really backfire if that isn't your intention. On the other hand, if this girl likes to travel, is kind of spontaneous and fun and doesn't take things seriously, she might be up for it.

If your friends are bringing women that they have serious/established relationships with, I'd go stag, rather than bring this girl and end up upsetting her, fighting, etc. Go out and have fun... might be a great opportunity to meet someone new.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:39 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
I'm guessing it would help to have known her for some time.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:58 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,800 times
Quote:

Definitely, highly insulting.

Read. Between. The. Lines.

She'll probably stop talking to you period, especially if she see's you more than a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships