Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Women - How many dates have you had in the past 30 days?
Zero dates 28 66.67%
One or Two dates 9 21.43%
Three to Six dates 4 9.52%
More than Six dates 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 06:40 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBannedStand View Post
Baaaahahahaha. So much fail.

That's not the way OLD works for men.
And for women not in the top 10% of attractiveness.

I rarely got messaged and the ones I did receive were usually overtly sexual or from men who looked like ex (or current...) convicts.

I sent out 10-15 messages a week and received maybe 2 replies a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 06:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,020,723 times
Quote:
Baaaahahahaha. So much fail.

That's not the way OLD works for men.

Yes, it is, if you know what you're doing. I was conversing with a poster here (I won't identify her) and I re-opened my OKC account last Thursday (had it off most of the last year) so we could look at each others (just for giggles, we're on opposite coasts). I have kept it open 7 days so far. Was emailed by 4 women (wasn't interested in 2, 2 seemed cool). I emailed 3 (heard back from 2).

Have a first meeting tonight for beers, a first meeting tomorrow night for cocktails and a band, and working out details with one for next week... and not sure where the fourth is going. That is in 7 full days.

It works if you aren't clueless. OLD isn't hard. It's a gold mine if you follow some basic standards: Groom decently, have passions, have a job, an education, your own place, and keep in shape and be able to write well (be funny, carry on a conversation via the written word). That is all it takes.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:48 AM

112 posts, read 118,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And for women not in the top 10% of attractiveness.

I rarely got messaged and the ones I did receive were usually overtly sexual or from men who looked like ex (or current...) convicts.

I sent out 10-15 messages a week and received maybe 2 replies a month.

You are a special case because you are super tall, taller than 90% of men. Rightly or wrongly, some guys can't deal with that.

Actually, that study has been discussed ad infinitum here that had fake OLD profiles. Guys tended to skip over the "stunner," knowing instinctively that it was a low-odds proposition. The more middle-of-the-road girls got the most messages.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, it is, if you know what you're doing. I was conversing with a poster here (I won't identify her) and I re-opened my OKC account last Thursday (had it off most of the last year) so we could look at each others (just for giggles, we're on opposite coasts). I have kept it open 7 days so far. Was emailed by 4 women (wasn't interested in 2, 2 seemed cool). I emailed 3 (heard back from 2).

Have a first meeting tonight for beers, a first meeting tomorrow night for cocktails and a band, and working out details with one for next week... and not sure where the fourth is going. That is in 7 full days.

It works if you aren't clueless. OLD isn't hard. It's a gold mine if you follow some basic standards: Groom decently, have passions, have a job, an education, your own place, and keep in shape. That is all it takes.
You are obviously a man of above-average attractiveness. How nice for you...

That's the only way OLD works for men.

I open up a profile from time to time, just do reconfirm that it still sucks, and it still does.

The women never even change. I reopened mine recently and it was all the same women from 18 months ago....like a house that sits on the market too long.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:55 AM

I am not above average attractiveness. Probably not even top 50%.

I'd send the username to JJ and she could confirm that, if she is so inclined.

Sure, there are a lot of the same people, but there are new ones too. That does happen.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 AM

This is online dating for women who are not obese:

http://i.imgur.com/QgJUL.gif

I just don't really have any inclination to be one more hotdog in the crowd.

As far as you not being above average...sorry, I don't believe you. I was on OLD for a long time in the past, and never, never, ever, not once had a woman initiate contact with me.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 AM

Yeah, they get a lot of messages. The one I'm meeting Saturday got, while we were chatting last night, a message saying "nice boobies" (that is a quote). Not easy to stand out among that competition. And of course, I then was able to tease her about it. She is witty. Good sign. I've seen a ton of emails my lady friends get from guys, and they're almost universally horrible. I wouldn't respond to them either. No reasons why they were drawn to the woman (except physical references, HUGE no no), nothing clever or interesting, just some variation of "Hi, you seem to be interesting. Take a look at my profile and if you're interested, lets meet. Bye." Like, really guys? Thank you to me for sucking.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
You are a special case because you are super tall, taller than 90% of men. Rightly or wrongly, some guys can't deal with that.

Actually, that study has been discussed ad infinitum here that had fake OLD profiles. Guys tended to skip over the "stunner," knowing instinctively that it was a low-odds proposition. The more middle-of-the-road girls got the most messages.
Yes, and I know I'm not desirable to the vast, vast majority of men because of that. It's a bummer, but luckily I found a guy who likes taller women. it only took me 5ish years of OLD to get there

If you're talking about that OKCupid thing that is discussed here pretty often, the hottest women got the majority of the messages, not the average ones. This is a direct quote 'Site-wide, two-thirds of male messages go to the best-looking third of women'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I am not above average attractiveness. Probably not even top 50%.

I'd send the username to JJ and she could confirm that, if she is so inclined.

Sure, there are a lot of the same people, but there are new ones too. That does happen.
Nah, I'm not a very good judge of attractiveness to be honest.

Regardless, I have quite a few guy friends who are definitely below average looking and haven't had any issues OLD.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 AM

Glad it's working out for you. Your experience is atypical. 90% of men delete their profiles within 90 days. I started a new POF a couple of weeks ago, never knew there was a rule that your profile had to be up before 24 hours before you could delete it.

Lol.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
This is online dating for women who are not obese:

http://i.imgur.com/QgJUL.gif

I just don't really have any inclination to be one more hotdog in the crowd.

As far as you not being above average...sorry, I don't believe you. I was on OLD for a long time in the past, and never, never, ever, not once had a woman initiate contact with me.
Then message the not-so-hot women. I rarely received messages and I'm not obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships