Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times

Advertisements

How many of you find absolutely nothing wrong with hanging out with opposite sex friends in one on one situations while in an exclusive relationship?
And, how many of you are ok or not ok with that friendship behavior from your significant other?
So basically, in a situatuation such as this:
My girlfriend at the time wanted to hang out, one on one, with a friend to see some photos he took while on vacation in Europe. This hang out was to occur at the guys house (he supposedly lives with his mom still....) This guy is someone I dont know at all, but she had mentioned he was quite the "ladies man"...
Is this normal? Was the ex girlfriend pushing acceptable relationship boundries?
Ladies, what if the role was reversed? How would you feel if your BF went over to another womans place "to look at photos"?
There was never any intention of inviting me along. My exGF thought there was nothing wrong with what she wanted to do. "you should trust me more" she said.
Oh, and this "picture date" was set up through facebook chatting, which ended up with my exGF at the time giving this "friend" her phone number. ExGf told the guy, "text/call me".
Is this whole scenerio something I should be concerned about, or do I just need to trust that this "picture date" wouldn't have turned into something more between these two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,201 times
She couldn't just check out his facebook photos online?

Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 AM

he didnt post them. some 1800 photos. two to three week trip....

Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Why are you so insecure?

Has your girl done something to lose your trust?

This was a one time "hang out" to see some photo's, not a daily or weekly activity.

Bottom line is, trust is the basis of all good relationships.

If you can't trust the one you love then you need to let them go, because either

A) they are untrustworthy

or

B) you are too immature for a committed relationship.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:33 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,284,326 times
To put it bluntly, it depends on how attractive the other guy is. Sorry if that is superficial to all you.

If my GF was going over to a guy's house who wasn't attractive at all, I would drive her there and give her chocolates and flowers to bring. If he was very attractive I would drive her there and then park 2 blocks away, and monitor the place with 3 of my buddies in army gear.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Why are you so insecure?

Has your girl done something to lose your trust?

This was a one time "hang out" to see some photo's, not a daily or weekly activity.

Bottom line is, trust is the basis of all good relationships.

If you can't trust the one you love then you need to let them go, because either

A) they are untrustworthy

or

B) you are too immature for a committed relationship.
Hmm, wow. I appreciate the honesty. I have been cheated on before.
But, I had caught her up in a couple lies over the relationship. So you see nothing wrong with your significant other giving their number to someone of the opposite sex to hang out?
I really would like help here? Maybe I do have trust issues....but the people I have spoke with this about (close family members and friends) say she was basically wrong to do that. But the apple doesnt fall far from the tree right? Was the exGF just doing normal "friend" behavior? Isnt looking the other way on something like that setting yourself up for a devestating oppurtunity for the S/O to cheat?

Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
What LovesMountains said. +1

Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
To put it bluntly, it depends on how attractive the other guy is. Sorry if that is superficial to all you.

If my GF was going over to a guy's house who wasn't attractive at all, I would drive her there and give her chocolates and flowers to bring. If he was very attractive I would drive her there and then park 2 blocks away, and monitor the place with 3 of my buddies in army gear.
I guess for the most part he is pretty attractive. I dont know why, but I am unable to judge if a guy is attractive. But I know that about a year ago the two of them "were all over each other" at a bar. They didn sleep with each other though. Yes they were drunk. This occurance happened before I met the now exGF. My exGF claims, "he is just a friend, someone who i can easily talk to...."

Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Nope, in this particular scenario, I would not do it.

Trust your gut. She should suggest that he bring the photos to her place, and you can meet him and see the pix too.

If he is not trying to get with your GF, he will be fine with it. If he is trying to get with her, he will make an excuse to get out of it.

I have experience with this. Opposite-sex friendships can work, but only if you know the guy.

Sure, you can trust your GF till hell freezes over. It doesn't mean you have to send her in with the lions.

Trust your GF, but trust your gut more.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:43 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
My exGF claims, "he is just a friend, someone who i can easily talk to...."
HAhahahahahahha!

And easily make out with.

This is what you call a "red flag."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships