Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:50 AM

1,089 posts, read 2,399,738 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking about this and whether it has any bearing on success or lack thereof at developing romantic relationships.

Off the top of my head, excluding family members, I have about 15 close female friends and roughly 3x that many acquaintances. By 'friend' I mean someone I'm close enough to confide in, get advice from, and who if I hadn't seen for awhile would give me a hug or invite me out to catch up. And by 'acquaintance' I mean someone who knows my name and will greet me with a smile and a handshake, ask how things are, what's new etc.

These women represent all ages, races, backgrounds, economic and relationship status, various religious and political leanings etc. Pretty much a cross-section of humanity. Most I see every week or so in person but a few I've never met and only know online.

Naturally with all this female interaction I'm regularly being introduced to or otherwise meeting new women and I make friends with them quickly and easily too. The question is, does any of this help me find Ms. Right? I would have to say yes. Most of the girls I'm introduced to through my social network are girls I wouldn't have otherwise met. And because of the setting they have a chance to get to know me without the tension of being cold approached by a stranger. As a result pretty much every girl I've gone out with initiated things by escalating our friendship to something more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:04 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,720,449 times
About 10 or so guy friends, with 2 or 3 being very close, and probably 20 or so others who are more acquaintances. I don't know if it's hurt or helped any romantic relationships, as I don't usually date guys in my group of friends, though it does make it easier to meet new guys in the beginning (before I decide whether to stay in "friend" mode). It is nice getting their perspective on things, though, and hanging out with a mixed group or a bunch of guys is a change from having a "girls night".

Old 03-14-2010, 08:08 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
Right now, probably about 7 or 8 close female friends. More in the past, probably less in the future.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
I have a few guy friends...also my brother's friends. And some female friends from my past and some new ones like the ones I work with.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
I have one close guy friend. I love him dearly and talk to him daily.

He has no bearing on my romantic relationships simply because I do not allow him to.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:48 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,320,521 times
A lot of both. Guy friends are great though. They have your back, help you with your problems, and tell you straight out what they think. I love my guy friends. Also, if you are friends first and then lovers later, your relationship will be better.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
I was just thinking about this and whether it has any bearing on success or lack thereof at developing romantic relationships.
If it does, it's pretty negligible. What's most important is your location! I use to know a lot of women when I lived in California because California is such a transient state with lots of things to do (I was even warned not to over indulge in women before I went!).

Now that I'm in Pa, in the burbs at that, it requires effort to make myself more socially available to the opposite sex.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Also, if you are friends first and then lovers later, your relationship will be better.
Yea I agree.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,814,576 times
Only 2 male friends but we have known each other from childhood. One is a year younger than me who I haven't seen since my 15th birthday and the other one is 4 years older (I was 8 when I first was introduced to him by my mother's friend) who I sometimes talk by my instant messenger on msn. That's the only single occasion I can think of when a man can be friend with a woman (at least for me)...... if we're introduced during our childhood years.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:18 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Now that I'm in Pa, in the burbs at that, it requires effort to make myself more socially available to the opposite sex.
Here in Wilkes-Barre, I first have to try to IDENTIFY the sex; THEN I can make myself more available to the opposite one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships