Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times

Advertisements

jma is one of those guys who think that all women are Borg--think the same, act the same and want the same.

There is no hope that he will ever view women as unique and diverse individuals, so let's leave him alone.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:22 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
90 to 95% of all people have had at least one relationship by their mid-to-late 20s. 60-70% have at least dated in high school and about 50% have had at least one GF/BF before finishing high school. Dating, sex and relationship experience is something that's important to acquire while young, because emotions, communication and compromise play a significant role in those things, and once you're older you'll generally be expected to know how to deal with such touchy-feely things in a mature way. You also learn a LOT about yourself while dating and while in a relationship. Things about yourself that you may not have even dreamed of may suddenly bubble to the surface. Most people tend to know themselves and what they want out of life once they reach their mid 30s, and they often expect likewise from other people that age or older including people they date. They're not going to have much patience for someone who's "behind schedule".
I really don't know about these statistics here. And the whole thing about it being a good thing to date young is not exactly something I agree with, especially in high school when teenagers still need to cement their identities and be able to pursue their dreams. In your 20s, that's a different story, but people grow at different rates.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
jma is one of those guys who think that all women are Borg--think the same, act the same and want the same.

There is no hope that he will ever view women as unique and diverse individuals, so let's leave him alone.
Actually I do not think that way at all. The women friends I had taught me differently. The only thing they had in common was they were good to me.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 PM

541 posts, read 860,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedAzzro View Post
I'm naturally shy when it comes to these issues even though I'm an extrovert around friends and family. I have a very hot temper when it comes to daily issues. It's impossible for anyone to live with me. And the circumstances never came along as well. Besides, my job has always kept me pretty busy.
This makes sense. I've met two guys so far that are over 40 and not married. Life goes fast and it's easy to get very involved in a career that doesn't leave much social life.

Of course, you can always change this if you want to.

Last edited by Tantamount; 12-29-2013 at 07:57 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Actually I do not think that way at all. The women friends I had taught me differently. The only thing they had in common was they were good to me.
Past tense?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
The lottery is a numbers game, too. If you play long enough, you'll win. If you're lucky, you'll win sooner.

In my case, "putting myself out there" as much as I can, is how I got most of my friends. (male and female) It seems to me that bad luck is the reason none of the women I've met were interested in a romantic relationship.
It's not just luck. I have a relative who was determined to get married but she was not in college, she wasn't going to meet any one where she worked and she wasn't the kind that got much noticed in bars or nightclubs.

She was also particular about what kind of men she wanted to meet and date and eventually marry. She started up her own singles clubs --- got flyers out that would be seen by the types she wanted to meet, she made the rules on who could belong -- all to narrow down the age group, etc of the kinds of men she wanted to meet but since she didn't want to marry them all, she obviously included women. She was quite creative in coming up with events -- because she wanted her social club to not have pressure on anyone -- just a place similar types could meet and get to know each other but also to be interesting enough for plenty of people to want in on it.

Enough others were apparently in her same boat, just wanted to either make new friends or find people they might date. It worked for my relative, she met her husband.

She was very determined, she didn't leave it to "luck", she put enough time and thought into her social club.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's not just luck. I have a relative who was determined to get married but she was not in college, she wasn't going to meet any one where she worked and she wasn't the kind that got much noticed in bars or nightclubs.

She was also particular about what kind of men she wanted to meet and date and eventually marry. She started up her own singles clubs --- got flyers out that would be seen by the types she wanted to meet, she made the rules on who could belong -- all to narrow down the age group, etc of the kinds of men she wanted to meet but since she didn't want to marry them all, she obviously included women. She was quite creative in coming up with events -- because she wanted her social club to not have pressure on anyone -- just a place similar types could meet and get to know each other but also to be interesting enough for plenty of people to want in on it.

Enough others were apparently in her same boat, just wanted to either make new friends or find people they might date. It worked for my relative, she met her husband.

She was very determined, she didn't leave it to "luck", she put enough time and thought into her social club.
Great post. I think that is very much a female approach, but men can certainly do things to put themselves in the orbit of women who have the basic characteristics of those they would enjoy knowing and be compatible with.

But I guess it is easier and there is less risk of feeling "awkward" to sit back with your xbox controller and blame everything on luck.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Past tense?
Yes. They all went their separate ways. Got married, moved away, etc.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Great post. I think that is very much a female approach, but men can certainly do things to put themselves in the orbit of women who have the basic characteristics of those they would enjoy knowing and be compatible with.

But I guess it is easier and there is less risk of feeling "awkward" to sit back with your xbox controller and blame everything on luck.
If you mean me sorry but I am not a gamer. My photography keeps me busy. Also in the near future I hope to take guitar lessons.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:49 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
I don't believe it's down to luck. Making effort works. Luck can add to it and bring you extraordinary results though.

Last edited by srjth; 12-30-2013 at 01:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships