Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:03 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you one day have a wife and kids who depend on you, you will feel differently and want to know they will be okay should something happen to you.
My husband and I both sleep better at night knowing that if something were to happen to either one of us, the survivor will have help financially. I hope that never happens but at least we have prepared for the possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 07:18 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Life insurance is weird stuff for sure.

When I was married, we took out a $650k policy on me and $250k on my now Ex (because I made a lot more money than he did... the idea is to replace lost income to support the family). Eventually we raised his to $500k because he was earning more after a few moves and promotions. His promotions didn't help me any though since I had to start all over again with each move, and so he eventually he outpaced me on income as his career advanced and mine stagnated (hurt by me moving from job to job).

So we thought, hey, why not lower mine and save some money! Because I was older, to change the policy and lower it to $500k or even $350k would cost us MORE per year than for me to keep the $650k policy. That's because they can't just lower my insurance, they have to re-issue a whole new policy and I am older now than I was then.

Now I am divorced. I still have to keep the policy to support my child if I should die, but again, I am stuck with $650k. I don't need that much because I no longer need to replace my entire income and I no longer have a husband to support (for example, I don't have to worry about a husband being forced to move out of the house with the loss of my income/portion of the mortgage... my estate can just sell my house and my child move in with her father permanently). I still need my portion of child support until she's 18 and I want to have enough to pay her way though college and leave her a trust fund/nest egg to replace any other gifts and help I might have given her along the way.

But I can't change it. I am stuck with $650 unless I want to pay more money for less insurance.

Crazy huh?

To answer the OPs question, there is no rule that just because someone is male they have to have more insurance. You don't even need insurance. It's all about what makes sense financially for your family. It's a financial decision like retirement savings, short term savings, long-term savings, other investments, etc. Talk to a financial adviser if life insurance confuses you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships