Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:51 PM

23 posts, read 44,124 times

Advertisements

The anxiety during a sleepover carries through to your adult years and becomes just as much of an issue when you’re newly dating someone.
The first sleepover is always terrible. You’re at his house, its three in the morning, your arm is going numb from laying too long on your left side, and you’re too nervous to move. It’s bizarre having such awkwardness in this setting that is supposed to only serve the purpose of giving you a relaxing night’s sleep. That sleep will not happen tonight. Tonight you will settle into a cuddling position with him on his back and you laying on his chest. He will ask you if you’re comfortable and you will say yes even though your neck is straining to hold up your head without a pillow under it, and you can feel him breathing on your face which is forcing you to space out your own breathing to match his so that you breath out at the same time in order to block it from making it to your face. You’re thinking about how uncomfortable he must be too, having you in his bed with this whole breathing in each others face thing, and then suddenly you hear him snoring. He’s already asleep. How is that even possible?! Isn’t he self conscious about snoring in front of you? What is he, some kind of animal that just falls asleep with its head hanging out the window of a moving car?
The answer is yes. He is an animal. And he is not thinking about anything that you’re thinking about. He’s out cold, without a care in the world. He’s probably farting on your leg right now and having dreams about your brother.
Knowing his lack of unease during this first sleepover should give you confidence to be more comfortable. Move your head to the damn pillow already. Flip flop around to find the cold spot on the sheets. Move your hair out of your mouth. Get up to pee already. He isn’t going to even remember you’re there until he wakes up in the morning. Now that part is a little trickier. If you want to see someone go from a tranquilized elephant to a panicked mess of a man, ask him if he wants to go get some breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 02:09 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
I have been married for 45 years and I have not even thought about this for a very long time. However; this is a subject that would be better addressed on this forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/relationships/. Possibly our moderator will move your post? Usually they try to keep our Northeastern PA threads about local subjects. Don't feel bad if TBT moves your post - I had many moved when I first started posting.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Possibly our moderator will move your post?
Moved...

Old 01-02-2014, 06:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Pretty hilarious post, but it is always wise to have first few sleepovers when you don't have to be anywhere early in the morning, or even do much the next day, in case you can't sleep.

He/she probably doesn't know their snoring. A deviated septum ruined a great situation I had as I always found myself on the loveseat and I'm too tall for that.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:54 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Is there a real question here?

Old 01-02-2014, 07:06 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Pretty hilarious post, but it is always wise to have first few sleepovers when you don't have to be anywhere early in the morning, or even do much the next day, in case you can't sleep.

He/she probably doesn't know their snoring. A deviated septum ruined a great situation I had as I always found myself on the loveseat and I'm too tall for that.
My guy has a deviated septum and has had surgery on it once...but he's got one more to go on it. He lightly snores here and there and the first few times I stayed over it was a mess for both of us. He kinda snored, I'm a super light sleeper and he's also not used to having someone in his bed so every time he'd turn over and touch me or I'd move he'd wake up freaked out about what was happening He also has a full size bed and with me being 6'1 and him being 6'4 it's really not that comfortable. After staying over at my house (I have a queen) for the first time a few weeks ago he finally decided to get a queen or king in the next few weeks.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
It is awkward if you aren't extremely tired.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLisaW-B View Post
The anxiety during a sleepover carries through to your adult years and becomes just as much of an issue when you’re newly dating someone.
The first sleepover is always terrible. You’re at his house, its three in the morning, your arm is going numb from laying too long on your left side, and you’re too nervous to move. It’s bizarre having such awkwardness in this setting that is supposed to only serve the purpose of giving you a relaxing night’s sleep. That sleep will not happen tonight. Tonight you will settle into a cuddling position with him on his back and you laying on his chest. He will ask you if you’re comfortable and you will say yes even though your neck is straining to hold up your head without a pillow under it, and you can feel him breathing on your face which is forcing you to space out your own breathing to match his so that you breath out at the same time in order to block it from making it to your face. You’re thinking about how uncomfortable he must be too, having you in his bed with this whole breathing in each others face thing, and then suddenly you hear him snoring. He’s already asleep. How is that even possible?! Isn’t he self conscious about snoring in front of you? What is he, some kind of animal that just falls asleep with its head hanging out the window of a moving car?
The answer is yes. He is an animal. And he is not thinking about anything that you’re thinking about. He’s out cold, without a care in the world. He’s probably farting on your leg right now and having dreams about your brother.
Knowing his lack of unease during this first sleepover should give you confidence to be more comfortable. Move your head to the damn pillow already. Flip flop around to find the cold spot on the sheets. Move your hair out of your mouth. Get up to pee already. He isn’t going to even remember you’re there until he wakes up in the morning. Now that part is a little trickier. If you want to see someone go from a tranquilized elephant to a panicked mess of a man, ask him if he wants to go get some breakfast.
If it's so traumatic to sleep over with a stranger, why not stick to having sex with people you know, like and trust?

Insecure women are the number-one reason I am glad I am not a man.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
If it's so traumatic to sleep over with a stranger, why not stick to having sex with people you know, like and trust?

Did she say a stranger? I thought it was just the first time with someone they're dating? I mean, you need a first time with everyone.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Eh, the first few times sleeping over at someones place can be awkward and weird regardless of if they're strangers or not. It was 3-ish months of serious dating before I stayed over at my guys place, and probably another month or so until we were both comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships