Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:48 PM

66 posts, read 57,867 times

Advertisements

My question is: Can I expect to get dates with the same kind of women I'd meet in real life using online dating as a 21 year old male assuming I make my profile the best it can be? Or does using online dating require men to lower their expectations?

So far I haven't had any luck with the kind of women I'd normally be able to date. They just do not seem to be interested in me on POF.

I'll admit my profile isn't that great and I actually got some pointers to fix it. Before I give POF any more of my time I want to make sure its worth it based off other people's experience. No point throwing good after bad right?

Yes I am a college student. Before someone says its easy to find women in college, I'll say its easy to find easy women, and I'm not interested in them. I don't do well on the bar scene mostly because I don't like the women I meet that way. I've been using POF to supplement my dating pool because of this and how I just don't meet a lot of women I want to date in my day to day life.

Last edited by Skinnyfat; 01-03-2014 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Don't do it!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
My experience has been the same as yours: generally speaking, if you met the exact same girl online or in person, it would be easier to get a date with her in person.

You're not required to lower your expectations by any means, but you'll have a much higher failure rate with women online than you will in person (short of some unusual circumstance, like an INCREDIBLY fluid writing style or a stutter or something).

Old 01-03-2014, 12:57 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
It's not worth your time for the most part. If you like playing footsie with attention wh-ores and women well below your pay grade (whatever it is), by all means knock yourself out.

A lot of guys are under the mistaken assumption sites like POF are some untapped plethora. It's more like Ross Dress for Less. If you have all day to waste, you may find an outfit, if you're lucky. I tried it for 6 months and canned it.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:58 PM

432 posts, read 491,755 times
Could just be me, but I do horribly on online dating (like almost no replies, no messages, and no dates). I'm pretty open about my preferences in women. Either the system sucks herds of goats or I've got the face of one.

Last edited by variant; 01-03-2014 at 02:24 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
The fact of the matter is that the women online are the same women you see in real life, so if they don't like you in real life, they aren't going to like you online.

If anything, it is harder to get them to like you online because they won't even respond if they don't like your picture, at least they will speak with you in real life to not be rude.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
I've had better luck offline. Offline I have no problem attracting men who are at my level or above. Online the only guys who seemed to be interested for the most part were way below my level.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 PM

537 posts, read 769,135 times
I agree, I do better in person than online.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:22 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
No luck online here either.

One of my friends recently posted on Facebook she took down her OKC profile after the last straw was having a 21 year old send her a message asking her to cuddle and pay his bills for him. She said if there's a market for her out there, it's not online. One of her friends responded she'd seen an interview about how the OLD algorithms are designed to give people good enough matches to give them hope they'll meet someone but not exact matches because if they successfully match too many members, they lose their customer base.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:27 PM

66 posts, read 57,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
The fact of the matter is that the women online are the same women you see in real life, so if they don't like you in real life, they aren't going to like you online.

If anything, it is harder to get them to like you online because they won't even respond if they don't like your picture, at least they will speak with you in real life to not be rude.
I think you may have misunderstood my situation. I do alright in real life when I find someone who interests me. I've done poorly online. I'm not sure if its my profile or that's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships