Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:31 PM

306 posts, read 657,095 times

Advertisements

If you were faced with a decision where you were completely ambivalent about staying in a relationship and that means getting married shortly or breaking up and you could not reach any consensus because when you weigh the positives with the negatives they sort of equal out and do not provide you with any clear direction - would you just flip a coin and take the plunge into marriage that way?

May be a totally absurd question in ordinary circumstances but if marriage is a 50/50 crapshoot anyway why not just use a coin toss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
If you were faced with a decision where you were completely ambivalent about staying in a relationship and that means getting married shortly or breaking up and you could not reach any consensus because when you weigh the positives with the negatives they sort of equal out and do not provide you with any clear direction - would you just flip a coin and take the plunge into marriage that way?

May be a totally absurd question in ordinary circumstances but if marriage is a 50/50 crapshoot anyway why not just use a coin toss?
I myself might go for the marriage simply because I prefer being married (and being in a non-abusive marriage) to remaining single.

Of course, this is only my point of view on this. You need to decide what is the best move for you in such a situation if you are currently or will ever be in such a situation.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
If one can't imagine life without the other person, then go ahead. But, if one can "take it or leave it," then leave it.

If one is ambivalent, leave it.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
In other words you are settling which is covered in a different but current thread and the answer is still no, I have never and will never settle just to be in a relationship or marriage. I would rather stay single and be by myself than be married or with someone and miserable.
I will always choose by myself and alone over married/in a relationship and still alone.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
No. Doesn't life mean more to you than a coin flip??

Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Quote:

I can maybe see flipping a coin to decide whether to stay with your SO other not, but not marriage. Even under the best circumstances marriage is a challenge and you have to work on it all the time. I would never ever go into a marriage until I was at least 90-95% sure that I wanted to do this.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:42 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
Quote:
If you feel ambivolent towards someone to the point where you could just as easily break up as get married, then even entertaining the notion of marriage is probably not what you want to do.

Flipping a coin is a rediculous way to settle it. Know yourself in this situation!

Quote:
Marriage is not a 50/50 crapshoot. Boiling down marriage to one oversimplified statistic is not being fair to the situation. There is far more to it than getting married, and flipping a coin. The real rate is not as high as 50% (but may be in the 40%'s). However, deeper analytical analysis shows a lot of factors greatly reduce an individuals "chance" of divorce. Marrying after age 25 reduces one's chance of divorce about 25%, having a college education reduces the chance about 25%, having an income of 50K or more reduces the chance 30%, not having children until after the marriage is established reduces the chance 25%.....

Maybe you see where this is going. People who don't rush into marriage, but get their life in order and gain some wisdom on life before marriage tend to have far, far higher success rates than the off bantied "50%" mark flippantly tossed around.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:45 AM

936 posts, read 2,060,711 times
Quote:

If you have to ask complete strangers whether you should get married using a setup that is ridiculously biased toward neutrality, the answer is no, you shouldn't get married.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times
I prefer rock-paper-scissors, or tic-tac-toe

Old 01-06-2014, 06:26 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
I don't think "meh" is a good reason to get married. What an absolutely bleak scenario.

My question is: How many people actually do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships