Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:46 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

not sure but i just read "how to devour your mate for fun & profit" by Judy J. Tarantula,
loved it, but i must admit it gets lonely here on the leaf by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 AM

279 posts, read 1,139,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceandflight View Post
While I think I agree with the rest of your post, I think this is incredibly unfair. There are so many different reasons people break up, and I think it's quite possible that depending on what happened and how both people behaved in the relationship that a friendship can be feasible after some time has passed. The person doesn't necessarily become unworthy of friendship because he or she was not a good significant other.
I agree with you and I do stand corrected, however... Although they are "friends" I personally dont see it as a good or healthy situation, often it can cause problems in new relationships. Being that as it may, if your married and get divorced and have kids, then by all means try and remain as friends for the kids part, after all its not thier problem your getting divorced.. But if your dating or engaged and break up.... why remain friends? it isnt going to go anywhere and for me I just dont see it. Close that door and move on, why hang onto it? why?

But I can only speak from experience that I have dealt with, within my circle of friendships, and I have been the shoulder friends cry on, when they break up with someone, and then try to remain friends, it seemed hard for them to seperate the feelings of NO longer having any say in that friends life. Who they date, sleep with, hang out with, introduce to other friends..... Not everyone can handle that level of seperation of feelings.

So yes I may have sounded harsh and mean, but sometimes people can handle being just friends, and sometimes they cant. Emotions are powerful.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,544,014 times
My ex-husband have I remained friendly to each other. We are both remarried, his wife isn't the friendliest, but we do have 3 daughters and 3 grandchildren and attend the "grandchildren's" funtions. My husband and ex get along fine.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:20 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
My gf amicably split from her high school boyfriend, maintained the friendship since (its been about 6 years since they dated). I don't think its a big deal, he's a likable guy - I'm now friends with him too. Tried setting him up with a girl on Saturday actually

I have a couple girls I'm still friendly with, and several I'm not. Can you stay friends? Sure. Will you every time? Doubtful.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlieisodd View Post
Do you think friendship after a serious, committed relationship can work? Why? Or why not?
Yes it can, but both parties need to have time away from one another and heal first, before this can happen.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
I'm friends with two ex girlfriends. I dated them both back in high school and the relationships ended when it became clear I was moving to Florida.

Beyond that, I've found that staying friends with the exes is usually more trouble and drama then it's worth.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:28 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Quote:
Do you think friendship after a serious, committed relationship can work? Why? Or why not?
I've never stayed friends with any of my ex gfs. When it was over there was seldom anything to look back upon.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 PM

41 posts, read 76,430 times
Not right away.... I've tried it. Didn't work. After 3 years my ex and I were able to be friends but it is still with a degree of caution....

Old 06-17-2009, 02:16 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
After the break up, we're just not going to connect in the same way--even if we live in the same house. We're not really going to talk--we each have our own lives to lead without the other. I've generally been able to remain civil with someone I've broken up with, and we can say hello to each other if we happen to pass on the street--but neither of us are going to seek the other person out, generally speaking.

Although I HAVE made the mistake of getting back together with someone who "broke up" with me. She moved out of town--to me, that was "breaking up". But a few months later, she begged me to come live with her again. She missed me--and we didn't have any harsh words or anything for each other, so I agreed. Six months later, she tells me to move out of her house. Again...to me, that's a breakup. Since I wasn't saving any of my money--it was going to support the both of us--I wound up homeless, living in my van, for a while. Until I met someone online (I'd get online at the library), and moved to be with her instead. That lasted for a while...

Old 06-17-2009, 02:20 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,190,145 times
Never had an issue so far. Usually contact breaks after she's found the next guy, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. I still end up with a good exclusive FWB for a few months afterward usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships