Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Pretty much. I don't understand the confusion/outrage about women preferring men with college degrees. Why do men prefer fit women? Why do they look down on overweight women when they are equally qualified to be good (if not better) girlfriends, wives, and mothers as fit women??
I think we are all guilty, at times, of turning our anger outward when we don't possess a criteria that a member of the opposite sex seems to want. But really, we need to be happy in our own skin or make a change that will produce happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 AM

113 posts, read 275,427 times
Quote:
Sure it does. Read it again.
No it doesn't, because having or not having a college degree doesn't really imply anything

Do you know how easy it is to get a degree in business management or liberal arts or in most college areas nowadays? I knew plenty of morons in my classes who went on to get a degree. On the other hand, my brother in law is a multi millionaire and a great businessman and he never had a degree. I would kill to be as smart as he is in terms of business and other areas

What you're saying is like saying that men prefer women who go to the gym, which is only half true. Men prefer women who are in shape and that can be through million different activities. Apply the same thing to college analogy

Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Interesting thread over in the Work and Employment section which could be a corollary to this one. Over there, they are pointing out how 30% of Americans have a Bachelor's Degree (or better), and that percentage has gone up, but not by all that much, since the 70's.

Doesn't sound like everyone has a degree based on the info their are pulling together over there......

Also, an anecdotal story of some millionaire without a degree does not negate the fact that degree holders make 85% more on average, than non-degree holders. That millionaire is an outliar on the bell curve.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideLightning View Post
No it doesn't, because having or not having a college degree doesn't really imply anything

Do you know how easy it is to get a degree in business management or liberal arts or in most college areas nowadays? I knew plenty of morons in my classes who went on to get a degree. On the other hand, my brother in law is a multi millionaire and a great businessman and he never had a degree. I would kill to be as smart as he is in terms of business and other areas

What you're saying is like saying that men prefer women who go to the gym, which is only half true. Men prefer women who are in shape and that can be through million different activities. Apply the same thing to college analogy
Knowing a successful person without a degree doesn't change the fact that more lucrative career opportunities are generally available for those who have degrees. I don't work in a field directly related to my degree, but I never would've gotten my position or my salary without having a degree. So for me, it wasn't useless. I could also make the case that I'm doing better financially than all the people who I personally know who don't have degrees, so everything in my life reinforces the importance of having one.

So back to the analogy, you're saying that a man without a degree can match the "success" of a man with a degree, but an overweight woman could never match the "physique" of a fit woman so it's a moot point? I wasn't saying that she could, just that she could have other qualities that would make her a good partner if the man took the time to find out. Some think that women should be ok with a man not having a degree as long as he's "successful" and some women would be fine with that, but that's not going to change the fact that some will still associate success and intelligence with a college degree and won't take the time to look beyond the lack of one.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
So you obviously don't have a degree OR a girlfriend AND you're griping because you've noticed that the women you're interested only want to date guys who went to college.

College is one way people are able to show that they are both reasonably smart and can stick to a program long enough to satisfy a bunch of difficult requirements. And they come out of the process with a reasonably well-rounded set of skills.

How can you prove you have the same ability? Tough isn't it? That's pretty much why employers require some basis for hiring. Doesn't mean you're not capable, but a degree is an objective standard to prove it. Saves time.

So this is OK, but any man who only wants a skinny blonde is "shallow" Why the double-standard?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:43 AM

113 posts, read 275,427 times
Quote:
So back to the analogy, you're saying that a man without a degree can match the "success" of a man with a degree, but an overweight woman could never match the "physique" of a fit woman so it's a moot point?

Absolutely, not only success but intelligence and education as well. The other qualities in this case are irrelevant because it's not what we're talking about

To me, and I say this as a man who earns a great living and who has a college degree, it's sheep mentality to judge people on their degrees or even the prestige of their jobs for that matter. I know plenty of guys who are mechanics or who work trade jobs who are very bright and great people. You gotta get to know people and judge them on who they are

Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Absolutely, not only success but intelligence and education as well. The other qualities in this case are irrelevant because it's not what we're talking about

To me, and I say this as a man who earns a great living and who has a college degree, it's sheep mentality to judge people on their degrees or even the prestige of their jobs for that matter. I know plenty of guys who are mechanics or who work trade jobs who are very bright and great people. You gotta get to know people and judge them on who they are
This is very true! It just isn't the kind of environment which online dating sites promote.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Yes, and my point was that just as a man can choose not to get to know an overweight woman, a woman can choose not to get to know a mechanic.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:54 AM

339 posts, read 379,893 times
Quote:
Yes, and my point was that just as a man can choose not to get to know an overweight woman, a woman can choose not to get to know a mechanic.
That you are equating the two really defies logic.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
That you are equating the two really defies logic.
I don't think so. Preferences are preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships